• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

DC's newest release Black Adam has the best audience score on Rotten Tomatoes for any DC film since the Dark Knight trilogy. Black Adam, starring Dwayne Johnson in the title role, was released on October 21, and made $26.7 million at the box office on its opening day. Over the course of its opening weekend, Black Adam earned $67 million domestically, making it the biggest opening weekend of Johnson's career.

Now, 3 days after Black Adam's release, the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is in. Audiences gave Black Adam a staggering 90%, with over 2,500 verified ratings. In contrast, the critic score has fallen to 40%. This gives Black Adam the highest audience score on any DC film since the Dark Knight trilogy, with 2012's The Dark Knight Rises sporting a 94% audience score.

• Administrator

I'm opening this thread back up.  Everyone has their own opinions.  If you disagree with them to the point of name calling or other comments that violate the terms of use, you will be banned from the topic, restricted from posting on the forum or both.  Sometimes, it is just better to just walk away...

On 10/25/2022 at 7:54 AM, CGC Mike said:

I'm opening this thread back up.  Everyone has their own opinions.  If you disagree with them to the point of name calling or other comments that violate the terms of use, you will be banned from the topic, restricted from posting on the forum or both.  Sometimes, it is just better to just walk away...

Thanks Mike.

Unfortunately, there is a small element that for whatever reason when a movie or show comes out they dislike (it is not just WB/DC) they flock to it and commence to post a series of negative details so as to detract from people chatting about them. You will see it repeatedly. And then they hide it behind "I'm just sharing my opinion." Yet they know what they are doing.

Sometimes the comments are sly (e.g., Black Adam came out - WB-Discovery stock fell). Some are outright obvious (e.g., 'this garbage was always meant to fail'). But there is nothing intended for even-handed, respectful or friendly dialogue. It is all about negativity toward what THEY do not like.

You just can't be here constantly to catch the trend due to having to cover an entire forum.

For anyone who wants to know more about the JSA, Amazon and probably Comixology are having a digital JSA sale, with huge savings. 20USD tpbs are down to $2.42, so there's no better time to check them out. I recommend the 'JSA By Geoff Johns' , starting with Book One, obviously, but there's a lot of stuff there, some good, some terrible (looking at you, Guggenheim run). 

Note that Black Adam joins in the Johns run, sometime around.... umm.. Probably book Two I'd imagine? 

Enjoy! 

Edited by Cat
Made a Book Title Clearer

On 10/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I actually enjoyed Black Adam more the 2nd time around, despite thinking I was going to be sitting there simply waiting for the credit scene to play again. Solid 4/5. Some of the dialogue is too in-your-face, but it's not a often-occurring thing. Sadly, some of the VFX are also a bit bad, to the point where it's obvious an actor was standing there in front of nothing but a green/blue screen. The director did a great job, though. Some of the best superhero action we've seen since Snyder's stuff, and some of the poorly-written dialogue was delivered well enough by the actors that it didn't seem so bad as long as you didn't think about it. The sound effects and soundtrack were both good too, and made this certainly feel like it fits within the DCEU.

It's the best credit scene of all-time. The Rock is good for DC, despite what you or I may think of his ability to act.

There are a number of people on social media sharing that at their theaters the dialogue was hard to hear in certain scenes. Mine didn't have that problem.

I wonder if it comes down to equipment compatibility with modern digital medium. There's something to this, as it is coming up too frequently.

• Administrator
On 10/25/2022 at 8:01 AM, Bosco685 said:

Thanks Mike.

Unfortunately, there is a small element that for whatever reason when a movie or show comes out they dislike (it is not just WB/DC) they flock to it and commence to post a series of negative details so as to detract from people chatting about them. You will see it repeatedly. And then they hide it behind "I'm just sharing my opinion." Yet they know what they are doing.

Sometimes the comments are sly (e.g., Black Adam came out - WB-Discovery stock fell). Some are outright obvious (e.g., 'this garbage was always meant to fail'). But there is nothing intended for even-handed, respectful or friendly dialogue. It is all about negativity toward what THEY do not like.

You just can't be here constantly to catch the trend due to having to cover an entire forum.

If someone confronts the problem on their own with posts that are not acceptable, they are contributing to it.  The best way is to use the report feature.  Otherwise, I will be forced to issue warnings on both sides.  By the time a problem is reported, more often that not, I find this to be the case.  Do I issue a bunch of warnings, ban a bunch of people from the topic or lock it?  I'm not looking for an answer.  I am just sharing the task I am up against.  I believe everyone here is an adult, and should be able to participate in a civil conversation about a movie.  

On 10/25/2022 at 8:12 AM, Bosco685 said:

There are a number of people on social media sharing that at their theaters the dialogue was hard to hear in certain scenes. Mine didn't have that problem.

I wonder if it comes down to equipment compatibility with modern digital medium. There's something to this, as it is coming up too frequently.

Yeah, I had no sound mix problems, either.

Warner Bros.’ “Black Adam” made a powerful debut atop the U.K. and Ireland box office with £5.6 million ($6.4 million), according to numbers released by Comscore. Disney’s Venice winner “The Banshees Of Inisherin,” starring Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, had a strong second place debut with £1.6 million. In third position, Sony’s “Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile” collected £1.4 million in its second weekend for a total of £4.9 million. In fourth position and in its fourth weekend, Paramount’s “Smile” scared up £996,477 and now has a total of £9.01 million.

Rereleases include Warner Bros.’ “Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets” for its 20th anniversary and Park Circus’ “ParaNorman” for its 10th anniversary.

On 10/25/2022 at 8:14 AM, CGC Mike said:

If someone confronts the problem on their own with posts that are not acceptable, they are contributing to it.  The best way is to use the report feature.  Otherwise, I will be forced to issue warnings on both sides.  By the time a problem is reported, more often that not, I find this to be the case.  Do I issue a bunch of warnings, ban a bunch of people from the topic or lock it?  I'm not looking for an answer.  I am just sharing the task I am up against.  I believe everyone here is an adult, and should be able to participate in a civil conversation about a movie.  

Fair enough. :cheers:

On 10/25/2022 at 10:28 AM, RaleighComicBookCollector said:

I personally did not like the Black Adam movie... could have been a good 30 minutes shorter.

Really, shorter? I think that it needs at least another 15 minutes to replace some of that bad dialogue with better writing during character moments. For example:

"What is it you do?"
"Wind, you?"
"I grow."

That's laughably bad character interaction. I have to imagine that it's because of the short runtime more than anything else.

The only in-your-face dialogue that I can recall is the kid spouting off some political nonsense to the guard in the beginning. It was so bad. On the other end of the spectrum, the mom makes a succinct point about Black Adam liberating the city, and which hero(es) they would support. Both what she said and the way she says it is what sells her shtick more than the kid's wonky pseudo-intellectual run-on sentence.

The fact that this movie doesn't preach to its audience is likely a huge motivator for its positive audience reactions and scores. Black Adam exists to entertain, and I think it succeeds. The biggest disappointment, for me, is the mediocre-at-times VFX. The movie looks extremely good at times, and 20 years old at other times.