• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2022 at 8:03 AM, Cat said:

For anyone who wants to know more about the JSA, Amazon and probably Comixology are having a digital JSA sale, with huge savings. 20USD tpbs are down to $2.42, so there's no better time to check them out. I recommend the JSA By Geoff Johns, starting with Book One, obviously, but there's a lot of stuff there, some good, some terrible (looking at you, Guggenheim run). 

Note that Black Adam joins in the Johns run, sometime around.... umm.. Probably book Two I'd imagine? 

Enjoy! 

and to add to this, since most people seem to be getting into Doctor Fate the one series I'm highly recommending to everyone new to the character, or overwhelmed on where to start, is The Immortal Doctor Fate; a three-issue reprint series published in 1985 yet is fairly easy to find online still today and not at all expensive (you can pick em up for $6 each off of Mycomicshop, but can be found for cheaper elsewhere. I bought a few sets of them from MCS before the movie for much cheaper and have been giving those away to those interested). It features good contained stories with great art (including a great showcase of his trippy powers), including his origin, as well as some reprinted Golden Age stories from when he first debuted. I also find people love it since it isn't a 'modern' book and has at least some feeling of digging up something from the past (even though it is just copper age)

It makes for a VERY easy starting point to anyone looking to get into the character, and from there can honestly branch out to any iteration (including the new 52) with the core concepts and lore established.

Immortal_Doctor_Fate_Vol_1_1.webp.be790f084ecde1b26dc724ec5f1ad370.webp

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/25/2022 at 12:57 PM, Bosco685 said:

An interesting video from a credible source concerning WB Studios politics, what held Henry Cavill back from returning as Superman and how Seven Bucks would like to work toward Kingdom Come.

I don't think that Kingdom Come could ever work. If they stay too close to the source material, it's going to be boring. If they depart too much, it's going to get flamed. 2c

On 10/26/2022 at 3:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think that Kingdom Come could ever work. If they stay too close to the source material, it's going to be boring. If they depart too much, it's going to get flamed. 2c

And what comes after that? 

On 10/25/2022 at 1:31 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If they are talking about 5 pictures down the road (10-year plan), I think it could work. But you can't rush to it like Fox did with First Class => Days of Future Past, and ignoring any buildup movies to that final event experience.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:59 PM, Bosco685 said:

If they are talking about 5 pictures down the road (10-year plan), I think it could work. But you can't rush to it like Fox did with First Class => Days of Future Past, and ignoring any buildup movies to that final event experience.

It's not a matter of time. It's just that Alex Ross' photo-realistic style already predisposes us to imagine what that narrative would feel like. So, if one produces a movie too close to the original plot, why would it be a story worth retelling? If they alter from the source, it's going to get destroyed by those same fans, and I know that I would be among them. Kingdom Come is simply 'too sacred' to attempt adapting, IMO.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:03 PM, Cat said:

For anyone who wants to know more about the JSA, Amazon and probably Comixology are having a digital JSA sale, with huge savings. 20USD tpbs are down to $2.42, so there's no better time to check them out. I recommend the 'JSA By Geoff Johns' , starting with Book One, obviously, but there's a lot of stuff there, some good, some terrible (looking at you, Guggenheim run). 

Note that Black Adam joins in the Johns run, sometime around.... umm.. Probably book Two I'd imagine? 

Enjoy! 

Note that James Robinson's 'The Golden Age' is also included in this sale, for around $2.86USD. This one is a must-read. An absolute classic. 

On 10/25/2022 at 2:05 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's not a matter of time. It's just that Alex Ross' photo-realistic style already predisposes us to imagine what that narrative would feel like. So, if one produces a movie too close to the original plot, why would it be a story worth retelling? If they alter from the source, it's going to get destroyed by those same fans, and I know that I would be among them. Kingdom Come is simply 'too sacred' to attempt adapting, IMO.

Time will tell.

On 10/25/2022 at 2:07 PM, Cat said:

Note that James Robinson's 'The Golden Age' is also included in this sale, for around $2.86USD. This one is a must-read. An absolute classic. 

This is the one that made me a DC fan, a Starman fan and a James Robinson fan. It is fantastic. There is a scene where Alan Scott throws some newspapers through a window that I absolutely love. It has Paul Smith art throughout as well, a true gem of a 4 issue miniseries.

Goldenagecover.jpg

On 10/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's the best credit scene of all-time. The Rock is good for DC, despite what you or I may think of his ability to act.

I agree. Many people in my theater had no clue and their response was absolutely amazing. I knew it was coming and it still gave me the chills.   Also in those few seconds  you realize how much more of an on screen presence Cavill has over the Rock. Just saying.  

On 10/25/2022 at 2:51 PM, eastriver400 said:

I agree. Many people in my theater had no clue and their response was absolutely amazing. I knew it was coming and it still gave me the chills.   Also in those few seconds  you realize how much more of an on screen presence Cavill has over the Rock. Just saying.  

So agree!

:manhero:

On 10/25/2022 at 1:45 PM, Bird said:

This is the one that made me a DC fan, a Starman fan and a James Robinson fan. It is fantastic. There is a scene where Alan Scott throws some newspapers through a window that I absolutely love. It has Paul Smith art throughout as well, a true gem of a 4 issue miniseries.

Goldenagecover.jpg

That is one of my favorite DC stories of all time.

I'm not trying to start a debate or trying to trigger anyone but since when has Black Adam been popular?  I never heard of him before a year or two ago.  I knew Shazam but he was never really that popular in my generation so I'm confused why Black Adam was so anticipated...

On 10/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I'm not trying to start a debate or trying to trigger anyone but since when has Black Adam been popular?  I never heard of him before a year or two ago.  I knew Shazam but he was never really that popular in my generation so I'm confused why Black Adam was so anticipated...

Couple of things:

1) The character got a lot of play in Geoff Johns' JSA series (twenty-something years ago, yikes!) and then the weekly 52 series.  An anti-hero, but played straight, not a goof-ball like Lobo or some other anti-heroes starting in the 1990s.

and 

2) The Rock.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:32 PM, Zonker said:

Couple of things:

1) The character got a lot of play in Geoff Johns' JSA series (twenty-something years ago, yikes!) and then the weekly 52 series.  An anti-hero, but played straight, not a goof-ball like Lobo or some other anti-heroes starting in the 1990s.

and 

2) The Rock.

3) Dr Fate 

4) The JSA maybe? It's the draw for me. 

On 10/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, Xenosmilus said:

As was noted by others, Black Adam has come up multiple times throughout the decades. But if DC Comics is not your regular read, you wouldn't realize this.

Even in the Shazam: The New Beginning (1987) mini series where Billy Batson 1st retains his memories when altering into the hero his main villain was Black Adam.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.a56e3fe4367967daa4a4aeedab78a07b.jpg

And let's not forget the 2010 DC Showcase, Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam.

With the actor Arnold 'The Mummy' Vosloo as Black Adam.

Arnold_Vosloo_2009.jpg.c8c9a4bbfa2f3d403d2d111e56336ad7.jpg

Edited by Bosco685