• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK ADAM starring Dwayne Johnson (TBD)
7 7

1,456 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2022 at 4:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

"I know comic books. I've reviewed MCU movies!"

FfrI5qlWYAEaMM1.jpeg.e2e264d5662edae709fe388e485a546a.jpeg

FfrI511WIAE8Hn3.jpeg.87b7e8777034f8287267a55daa106c1a.jpeg

But let's note how low they have rated the movie, and call it credible.

Come on Bosco, you seem to hate when people claim you say things you didn't and yet here you are doing it for reviews you don't find favourable. Do you really think that he was saying DC ripped off the Thor character? :facepalm:

It clearly reads that he thinks the movie felt like a re-tread of one of the Thor movies, and that if they were going to stick so close to the story beats/tropes of those films they might as well have picked one of the good Thor movies. :D

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/23/2022 at 7:16 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Come on Bosco, you seem to hate when people claim you say things you didn't and yet here you are doing it for reviews you don't find favourable. Do you really think that he was saying DC ripped off the Thor character? :facepalm:

It clearly reads that he thinks the movie felt like a re-tread of one of the Thor movies, and that if they were going to stick so close to the story beats/tropes of those films they might as well picked one of the good Thor movies. 

Hey continuous critic whisperer - that short comment is very straightforward.

:facepalm:

Not sure what you are going for. Other than having a counterpoint as fact when such a short statement can go either way.

:idea:

On 10/23/2022 at 7:27 AM, Bosco685 said:

Hey continuous critic whisperer - that short comment is very straightforward.

:facepalm:

Not sure what you are going for. Other than having a counterpoint as fact when such a short statement can go either way.

:idea:

yeah it was very straight forward...but it seems only one of us has reading comprehension :baiting:

Even the power of The Rock can't keep DC's latest origin story from feeling like reheated Marvel.

[..]

It’s a shame, in a way: DC has fallen so far behind Marvel that, even when it introduces new characters, they feel like Marvel retreads.

[..]

Even the title character, hulking antihero Teth-Adam (Dwayne Johnson), borrows the arc from the first Thor caper — a fish-out-of-water brute, stoically smashing stuff then reluctantly becoming a defender of Earth.

If you’re gonna rip off a Thor, by the way, they got memorable in the third film. DC can’t even steal properly.

Yup...totally could go either way. Same issue most critics seem to have, not that they don't know anything about comics, but it felt like stuff they've seen before.

Thor first appeared in DC's Adventure Comics in 1942 so at best maybe DC is stealing from themselves ;)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/23/2022 at 7:34 AM, Sauce Dog said:

yeah it was very straight forward...but it seems only one of us has reading comprehension :baiting:

Yup...totally could go either way :D

Thor first appeared in DC's Adventure Comics in 1942 so at best maybe DC is stealing from themselves ;)

I am aware of the DC Thor.

But in your weak reading comprehension...

:baiting::insane::cheers:(:

...the critic you whispered implied DC copying Marvel. 

Now, back to a fun movie. 

^^

Edited by Bosco685

On 10/23/2022 at 7:38 AM, Bosco685 said:

I am aware of the DC Thor.

But in your weak reading comprehension...

:baiting::insane::cheers:(:

...the critic you whispered implied DC copying Marvel. 

Now, back to a fun movie. 

^^

Even the quote in the snippet said “rip off a Thor” clearly meaning the plot of one of the Thor films - not the character himself.

Reading comprehension…

On 10/23/2022 at 8:01 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Even the quote in the snippet said “rip off a Thor” clearly meaning the plot of one of the Thor films - not the character himself.

Reading comprehension…

Oh you tease. 

(:

Not getting what you need yet to press that button? :Rocket:

On 10/23/2022 at 12:03 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If @Cat hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have seen nor known the connection. Lol

It's a great run of comics, Addy. Don't know if it'd be your kind of thing, though. It hasn't got any 'edge' to it, if you know what I mean. Very classic for the most part, but cleverly written when it gets going. 

On 10/23/2022 at 8:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

4K steel book Best Buy special

Fft-gwHXwAEXxp2.jpeg.722b54341c1a8cec664dd6a4420c85ab.jpeg

They know who the REAL draw is. 

• Administrator

Just a heads up.  It appears that I need to keep an eye on this thread.  I trust everyone will be on their best behavior going forward.  (that's a period at the end, not a question mark)

On 10/23/2022 at 10:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

Doctor Fate was incredible!

doctor-fate-kent-nelson.gif.122dfa432225b7e7aede621089fb4f16.gif

That's so nice hearing he got his dues. And I I've yet to hear anyone compare him to Dr Strange. I was afraid audiences would just think he was a Strange rip-off. Very glad to see that's not the case. 

On 10/23/2022 at 8:59 AM, Cat said:

That's so nice hearing he got his dues. And I I've yet to hear anyone compare him to Dr Strange. I was afraid audiences would just think he was a Strange rip-off. Very glad to see that's not the case. 

Oh, trust me. There are those warring on social media stating he is just a Doctor Strange rip-off or even with the scene shown in the trailer of Pierce Brosnan shown inside his helmet it is a rip right from an Iron Man movie. It's really sad, as people get fixated on these studio wars any sense of rational interpretation goes out the window.

:(

On 10/23/2022 at 11:04 PM, Bosco685 said:

Oh, trust me. There are those warring on social media stating he is just a Doctor Strange rip-off or even with the scene shown in the trailer of Pierce Brosnan shown inside his helmet it is a rip right from an Iron Man movie. It's really sad, as people get fixated on these studio wars any sense of rational interpretation goes out the window.

:(

Damnit. If people understand Superman is the first superhero (for the sake of argument) why can't they understand perhaps Marvel may not have been the first with literally everyone else just because they got them onscreen first. 

On 10/23/2022 at 9:07 AM, Cat said:

Damnit. If people understand Superman is the first superhero (for the sake of argument) why can't they understand perhaps Marvel may not have been the first with literally everyone else just because they got them onscreen first. 

I think half the criticisms are about the way the are filming things...the speedster scene, interfacing with the helmet etc. If you are going to show similar things try to do so in a different way, or at least not a derivative way. Now I am not saying they ARE derivative, only that filmgoers only have a limited "vocabulary" of scenes with these approaches and notice or perceive similarities immediately. Or story beats.

On 10/23/2022 at 11:31 PM, Bird said:

I think half the criticisms are about the way the are filming things...the speedster scene, interfacing with the helmet etc. If you are going to show similar things try to do so in a different way, or at least not a derivative way. Now I am not saying they ARE derivative, only that filmgoers only have a limited "vocabulary" of scenes with these approaches and notice or perceive similarities immediately. Or story beats.

Oh right, that makes sense and is fair enough. I was just expecting comments that Dr Fate was a straight rip-off of Dr Strange, like we saw with Darkseid/Thanos.

On 10/23/2022 at 9:31 AM, Bird said:

On 10/23/2022 at 9:38 AM, Cat said:

Oh right, that makes sense and is fair enough. I was just expecting comments that Dr Fate was a straight rip-off of Dr Strange, like we saw with Darkseid/Thanos.

I think that is the challenge modern comic book movies are going to face moving forward. We are now 113 movies since 1978 that are either DC or Marvel properties ranging from traditional characters to the unique (Men In Black, V For Vendetta, RED). Not even including other properties like The Crow, Hellboy, Wanted, Hancock, etc. Uniqueness on the big screen will require the smallest but most relevant of tweaks.