• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER (2022)
5 5

630 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2022 at 2:46 AM, Bosco685 said:

I wouldn't look at it as cheating on research or cutting out discussion here.

It is more about research they share, or logical hints of things to come. Especially with those two YouTube accounts.

Do they ask you to like and subscribe?

On 9/3/2022 at 8:47 AM, Microchip said:

Collecting the worst reviews by random internet trolls, and calling it an article seems to the a thing these days.

Unfortunately not when for weeks there have been social media posts how THIS IS NOT MY LORD OF THE RINGS so probably based on what they have seen from other productions like Captain Marvel or Star Wars movies they were getting on this in advance.

Sure, there will be realistic negatives that get cut out. But meanwhile Disney did the same thing in putting pressure on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb to eliminate much of the negative ratings assuming all of the 10's and 'BEST EVER' were real ratings. So somehow these aggregation sites need to get better at scrubbing out the top and bottom outliers. Not just eliminate the negatives.

On 9/3/2022 at 4:47 AM, Key Largo Comics said:

The Silmarillion is the book he wrote that basically covers everything from the beginning of time up to the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings including what is being adapted in the Rings of Power.

Boy it's a tough read though. I've never gotten through it start to finish. Just kind of used it as a reference.

Thank u I remember that book it's tough I agree

On 9/3/2022 at 8:01 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Could the 'Stranger' be Bombadil? The writers could have taken liberty with his origin (which is unknown). In the canon, he is said to be very, very old, seemingly around even before the arrival of the Valar.

Good call. I had totally forgotten about him. He seems like a fit as well so far.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:29 PM, fastballspecial said:

Okay now this is where I need some help from Tolkien experts. 
So I read all the LOTR books and man were they tough from a language point of view. 

How much did he write about before the Ring of Power? Can I find books on those as 
well?

A lot of this is pulled from the Appendices of LOTR, The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales

On 9/3/2022 at 5:06 PM, The Commissioner said:

The wizards and Maiar (lesser angels) and they were sent to Middle-Earth to fight the evil that was emerging there. 

Not all Maiar are wizards though. Sauron is a Maiar, as well as the Balrog from The Fellowship of the Ring (the Balrogs are Maiar that became cloaked in fire and shadow when they followed Morgoth)

So technically, Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron, and the Balrogs are all the same species but taking different forms while in Middle-Earth. 

Thank you. 

So are you leaning towards this being Gandalf?

On 9/4/2022 at 9:12 AM, kimik said:

Thank you. 

Would they throw that big a chestnut in so early?

And he's not required, there are more powerful Elves still floating around ME at this time... well there was until they just sailed off.   Ok, I need to go read the books again :sorry:

On 9/3/2022 at 6:12 PM, kimik said:

Thank you. 

I honestly have no idea. I can see arguments for it being Gandalf (he also went by Olorin during the 2nd age of Middle-Earth), but it could also be an original character that Amazon created for the show.