• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER (2022)
5 5

630 posts in this topic

On 9/4/2022 at 10:48 AM, The Commissioner said:

I honestly have no idea. I can see arguments for it being Gandalf (he also went by Olorin during the 2nd age of Middle-Earth), but it could also be an original character that Amazon created for the show.

Would you gamble half a billion dollars on a putting a show together, then change the story of books that out sell the bible?

On 9/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, Microchip said:

Would you gamble half a billion dollars on a putting a show together, then change the story of books that out sell the bible?

Personally no, but there are original characters in the show. Arondir for example was a character that Amazon made specifically for the show.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:19 AM, The Commissioner said:

Personally no, but there are original characters in the show. Arondir for example was a character that Amazon made specifically for the show.

Oh absolutely, and it's a wonderful thing to see.   The books fleshed out to this whole new level, I'm enjoying it immensely.   Lets see where it all goes (thumbsu

Looking at the cast, I'm left despondent my parents didn't give me a good traditional Walsh sounding name now.   The likes of Morfydd, it's like she was born for this role.

On 9/4/2022 at 12:01 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Could the 'Stranger' be Bombadil? The writers could have taken liberty with his origin (which is unknown). In the canon, he is said to be very, very old, seemingly around even before the arrival of the Valar.

For a moment, I was thinking Theo is the young Aragorn.   Half elf, with a broken sword, there's not many of those around. 

On 9/3/2022 at 8:21 PM, Microchip said:

For a moment, I was thinking Theo is the young Aragorn.   Half elf, with a broken sword, there's not many of those around. 

This show is a few generations too early for Aragorn if I am reading it correctly. We still have to see the rings being forged and then the battle where Sauron is first defeated by Isildur.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, kimik said:
On 9/4/2022 at 12:21 PM, Microchip said:

This show is a few generations too early for Aragorn if I am reading it correctly. We still have to see the rings being forged and then the battle where Sauron is first defeated by Isildur.

The half elves are meant to live for a few hundred years, but I would agree with you, we're way too early for him, and the sword.   

I believe this show is set thousands of years before Aragorn. I'm enjoying it well enough, but so far I'm not see a billion dollars worth of Tolkien. A couple of name changes and this could be any fantasy world. It might be middle earth, but thus far the story could be set in any galaxy, even long ago and far away.  The second episode has lowered my enthusiasm a bit, but I'm sure I'm in it longterm. 

On 9/3/2022 at 10:21 AM, Bosco685 said:

Unfortunately not when for weeks there have been social media posts how THIS IS NOT MY LORD OF THE RINGS so probably based on what they have seen from other productions like Captain Marvel or Star Wars movies they were getting on this in advance.

Sure, there will be realistic negatives that get cut out. But meanwhile Disney did the same thing in putting pressure on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDb to eliminate much of the negative ratings assuming all of the 10's and 'BEST EVER' were real ratings. So somehow these aggregation sites need to get better at scrubbing out the top and bottom outliers. Not just eliminate the negatives.

Granted the New York Times, Entertainment Weekly, the Washington Post, and I think the Gardian posted negative reviews of the show.  That does not necessarily fit the troll narrative. 

Also the IMBD rating graph again shows that suspicious u curve with too many 10s ans too many 1s. Instead of a more natural slope or bell curve. So it means it is getting likely bombed as well as inflated.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:12 AM, drotto said:

Granted the New York Times, Entertainment Weekly, the Washington Post, and I think the Gardian posted negative reviews of the show.  That does not necessarily fit the troll narrative. 

Also the IMBD rating graph again shows that suspicious u curve with too many 10s ans too many 1s. Instead of a more natural slope or bell curve. So it means it is getting likely bombed as well as inflated.

Usually, if you remove all the 10s and 1s, you get a more accurate depiction of what people think.

If nothing else bothered me, and believe me everything about this production bothers me, the accents alone would make me want to put an ice pick in my ear

Posh English, Cockney, Irish. Scottish - I mean for gods sake,  a Continental treat.  My poor LOTR what have they done to you?