• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This cover is horrible, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar!
5 5

668 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2023 at 7:52 PM, BuraddoRun said:

I can't decide whether this cover is terrible or awesome. What do y'all think?

shi.jpg

Well, I don't know if it's good, but it's certainly not lacking in stuff happening!

On 8/25/2023 at 2:23 PM, C. Spaulding said:

I don’t collect or read modern comics so my knowledge about them is minimal. Every so often, I’ll come across a cover that catches my eye for being really good or really bad. I’ll let you guess where I landed on this one.

IMG_9421.thumb.jpeg.01ce57fef65301d752e77df397c8d022.jpeg

Looks like a really bad attempt at a Kirby attack pose.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:28 AM, F For Fake said:

Well, I don't know if it's good, but it's certainly not lacking in stuff happening!

I don't know what to think of these recent FM covers. One one hand, the dude is 66 years old and he's still drawing. That's awesome. On the other hand, I miss his heavily inked characters, evocative and wonderfully-designed simple backgrounds of his Sin City era. I know artists move around their styles, and of course - when you're as famous as Miller, you can do whatever you want - but I don't enjoy this new series of covers. But hey, to each their own - they go up for sale and are sold the same day, so clearly there's plenty of people that dig it.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/25/2023 at 3:30 PM, F For Fake said:

As for the drawings in and of themselves, I dunno. I think the Daredevil is pretty cool, and the Thing is pretty crazy looking. The Wolvie is ugly though, sorry Frank. I was an apologist for his shift to the primitive style, particularly on DK2, but even I can only make excuses for so long. 

Only followed Miller's work up until the late 80s, until he deviated from his early, Kane-influenced style.  The only exception for me at the time being Ronin, which never really felt mainstream, anyway.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/25/2023 at 10:30 AM, F For Fake said:

My biggest gripe with the Miller covers isn't the drawings themselves; it's the fact that they look like convention sketches that have been used as covers. I really hate covers that are just straight pin-ups, with no storytelling whatsoever going on. I know that ship sailed a long time ago, but it's still a major gripe of mine.

As for the drawings in and of themselves, I dunno. I think the Daredevil is pretty cool, and the Thing is pretty crazy looking. The Wolvie is ugly though, sorry Frank. I was an apologist for his shift to the primitive style, particularly on DK2, but even I can only make excuses for so long. 

2224884_xl.thumb.jpg.520aa8c19e81d590219326bd282924d2.jpg2235143_xl.thumb.jpg.8c6e20b7bd93c4cea040ea7f0d65e0be.jpg2235222_xl.thumb.jpg.521f2ca792012423913fdfe90eaa18d1.jpg

On 8/25/2023 at 10:38 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Only really followed Miller up until the mid 80s, until he deviated from his early, Kane-influenced style.  The only exception for me at the time being Ronin, which never really felt mainstream, anyway.

I discovered Miller with DKR, probably not unlike a lot of kids at the time. Daredevil came just a few years before I started reading comics. However, DKR lead to my going back to read Daredevil, which I came to adore, and I also loved Ronin as well. It may very well be his peak. However, I did stay onboard through Sin City, which I also really loved, and still do. When DK2 hit I was like "Ok, I see what you're going for" and didn't outright hate it like so many did, though it definitely was a shift. He completely lost me not long after. 

On 8/25/2023 at 10:39 AM, SpineTic said:

2224884_xl.thumb.jpg.520aa8c19e81d590219326bd282924d2.jpg2235143_xl.thumb.jpg.8c6e20b7bd93c4cea040ea7f0d65e0be.jpg2235222_xl.thumb.jpg.521f2ca792012423913fdfe90eaa18d1.jpg

I mean, I gotta say, I kinda dig these, simply as pieces of art. Not as covers, but as drawings, they're angular and funky, and have a style. It doesn't stack up well compared to his earlier, slicker style, but in and of themselves I don't hate them. Well...ok, that face on Cap is not great...I can't lie. My biggest complaint, again, is that these are just pin-ups with a bunch of funky computery effects work filling out the image. There's no storytelling here. But I could level the same complaint at a majority of covers these days.

On 8/25/2023 at 8:39 AM, SpineTic said:

The contrast on Cap looks great - I think The Hulk has a lot of missed opportunity. It lacks a lot of mood, and the line weight just doesn't put forth the power of The Hulk. The near-equalness of line quality works against the enraged expression the Hulk would have while he smashes, and I do get that the amount of rocks there is an attempt at adding visual weight to the environment around him, I think the simplicity in them makes them not look like rocks. His fist, which would be an integral part of adding to telling us what exactly is going on, is cropped off (or not drawn).

He looks like he's running to catch a bus in a snowstorm.

Caveat: He's Frank Miller. I'm some numbnut on the internet offering an unsolicited critique. I hope Frank keeps going and does what he loves.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 1/18/2018 at 10:15 AM, Turtle said:

Let me start off by saying that I'm a fan of Steranko.  I'm a fan of his art.  I'm a fan of the man himself.  He's terrific.

That said, Captain America 110 is the only cover of his I've seen that I haven't liked, mostly because of the Hulk.

Why is Hulk 25+ feet tall?  Why are each of his eyes looking in different directions?  Why is his right arm coming from his chest?  Is Hulk a hunchback?

This cover drives me nuts.  So many better examples of this artist's work. 

cap110a.jpg

MichaelScottTHANKYOU!.gif

i've been complaining about this cover for as long as i've been here. Hulk's shoulder and arm aren't remotely connected, and Bucky looks like a paste-up added in production to explain what the Hulk is supposed to be looking at/reaching for.

the whole thing seems like a pastiche to me, where they just stuck a bunch of things to a half-done drawing. the fence on the right looks for all the world as though it was done by someone else

This cover is one that has always bothered me, yet I have seen it reproduced on Marvel merchandise.  The anatomy on Spider-Man breaks a fundamental rule: when a human is in motion, as a leg goes forward, the OPPOSITE arm also goes forward for balance.  The next time you are at a nice soft beach, try to jump up like Spider-Man with the same leg and arm leading.  See if you can even stick the landing.

IMG_1660.jpeg

On 8/25/2023 at 9:23 AM, C. Spaulding said:

I don’t collect or read modern comics so my knowledge about them is minimal. Every so often, I’ll come across a cover that catches my eye for being really good or really bad. I’ll let you guess where I landed on this one.

IMG_9421.thumb.jpeg.01ce57fef65301d752e77df397c8d022.jpeg

Honestly I find this to be horrible, along with the other covers he did in this thread.  Seriously, does he have health issues that hinder him from drawing well?  I know he's 66 but unless he has advanced arthritis or something, it doesn't account for how bad he draws now.

On 8/27/2023 at 4:59 AM, s-man said:

Seriously, does he have health issues that hinder him from drawing well? 

In recent images he doesn't look well at all. :frown:

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/9/2023 at 3:37 PM, BA773 said:

Im sorry to show it but... the knees of bane are upside down... f***

Batman_489.jpg.b43a9a33ba3e85af6d5892ff129bca0e.jpg

In fact his entire legs are turn back but shoes are turn forward...