• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This cover is horrible, and anyone who says otherwise is a liar!
6 6

687 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2023 at 10:41 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

image.png.3049a798a78b7ed3e34b41c9c68579e8.png

Okay, I know I’m one of the more forgiving boardies posting in this thread, but that is truly appalling.

(Maybe it’s plot-related?  Otherwise, it’s appalling.)

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/12/2023 at 11:19 PM, Ken Aldred said:

A Greg Horn or Greg Land cover is an easy pick for a thread like this. No great mystery.

I dont knew this guy before but now i just realized that is it probably one of the poorest artist that i ever seen... the guy just never do something near of acceptable...

On 1/17/2018 at 10:28 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yep, I can understand why he was liked. Just didn't work for me. Can't stand his MJ.

Image result for mcfarlane mj

Give me an Andru MJ any day! 

http://www.orgamesmic.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/peter-parker-mary-jane-kiss.jpg

Agreed. Todd did a great Spiderman but his human characters looked awful. Crazy how he never good called out considering how much hate Liefeld gets. 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:04 PM, eastbayrudy said:

Agreed. Todd did a great Spiderman but his human characters looked awful. Crazy how he never good called out considering how much hate Liefeld gets. 

So much of it for me was how bad ASM was for the years before McFarlane drew it.  The first issue I got off of the stands was 260, which was a cool Hobgoblin book.  From there until McFarlane took over at 298, they were pretty much all bad issues if wasn’t a Hobgoblin appearance or Kraven’s last hunt.  I was so excited to see issues that weren’t Spider Kid or Frogman or Beyonder garbage that I was going to be extremely forgiving. :)

Luckily my LCS had extensive back issues of ASM.

On 7/3/2023 at 8:20 AM, D2 said:

I don’t understand what the fuss is all about.

It’s an entirely forgettable cover.

I do understand that value can make something worse. 

For instance, this cover is far worse because of its value. The fact that it goes for so much is amazing and pathetic all at the same time. 

IMG_9960.jpeg

I felt the same way about this cover. I would pay retail $5. Thats is. Actually even then I would not buy it because I have zero interest in it lol 

On 11/15/2023 at 1:04 PM, eastbayrudy said:

It definitely illustrates an era, for sure, and how tastes and interests change, as a whole. 
Now this would never fly, regardless of how dynamic his work is. The bar is so much higher now for new artists that the stuff that I liked as a kid, is painfully dated. Some of it (kind of) holds up, but the level of amateur artists alone is remarkable. 

On 11/15/2023 at 6:31 PM, D2 said:

It definitely illustrates an era, for sure, and how tastes and interests change, as a whole. 
Now this would never fly, regardless of how dynamic his work is. The bar is so much higher now for new artists that the stuff that I liked as a kid, is painfully dated. Some of it (kind of) holds up, but the level of amateur artists alone is remarkable. 

At the time, 1987 or so, it was quite a fresh and exciting style, something different worth following.  But, it got old, fast for me, as a new normal of comic illustration. Pretty much the only one I continued following was Arthur Adams: figurework similarly exaggerated to some degree, but without a doubt incredibly talented.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/15/2023 at 2:38 PM, Ken Aldred said:

At the time, 1987 or so, it was quite a fresh and exciting style, something different worth following.  But, it got old, fast for me, as a new normal of comic illustration. Pretty much the only one I continued following was Arthur Adams: figurework similarly exaggerated to some degree, but without a doubt incredibly talented.

I think Art Adams is one of the best examples of a classic artist that bridged 2 generations. Truly bridges 2 generations. 

And I don’t mean artists that copied them, or had clones, although Adams definitely had those. But his art techniques and style embodied the classic styles, but arguably, more importantly: ushering some new elements that are still used to this day. 

I must confess, I am not an Art Adams fan by definition. His style in specific is not to my liking, but his influence is unmistakeable. He is one of the modern renaissance artists 

Good points up there. Art Adams is very good and yes the style of art from the late 80's and early 90's was a fresh take at the time. Even though it was very un-realistic and exaggerated it was very dynamic and exciting. To this day I still enjoy it even though you can definitely point out some flaws. 

On 11/15/2023 at 7:44 AM, godzilla43 said:

Greg Land has bunch of nice covers. That Captain Marvel cover is done by Lee Garbett? Well that is bad cover.

All reused from the same stock images... 

On 7/3/2023 at 6:03 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I stand corrected 

330DA327-CDEF-4BDE-B3FC-762D38125908.jpeg.ddca920fecf382263e544c8fd3319d09.jpeg

On 11/15/2023 at 1:08 PM, eastbayrudy said:

Wow those are all some of the worst things I have ever seen lol Makes me wonder who signed off on this stuff... I think I could have been a cover artist after looking at this !

Damn you for bumping this and reminding me that this cover exists.

"Monkey Wolverine can't hurt me. Monkey Wolverine can't hurt me..." 

On 11/15/2023 at 5:31 PM, eastbayrudy said:

Good points up there. Art Adams is very good and yes the style of art from the late 80's and early 90's was a fresh take at the time. Even though it was very un-realistic and exaggerated it was very dynamic and exciting. To this day I still enjoy it even though you can definitely point out some flaws. 

Art Adams came from the Mike Golden school of hyper detail.  Mike influenced an entire generation of followers, including Art Adams.

this Xmen  Illo from 1981.

image.thumb.jpeg.dd9d63237995981bcfbcd795d0765bf8.jpeg