• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2018 at 1:28 PM, Lazyboy said:

in the not to distant future that price is going to seem like one hell of a good deal. PS if the bottom falls out on 181 the entire hobby must be in trouble. posted by I am not Glenda 2018

I sure would like to be paying 2018 FMV :) 

Edited by I am not Glenda

On 9/3/2021 at 7:09 AM, I am not Glenda said:

Yeah now you would, but most people thought the 2018 price was too much and would walk away from the deal cause they didn't wanna pay an extra $100 to get it.  Most collectors don't see a forest when they look at an acorn.  

On 8/26/2021 at 7:40 PM, Off Panel said:

Obligatory note that the 181 9.8 with White pages finished at $86K in this week's ComicLink auction.

1935389904_2108ComicLinkAuction-Hulk1819.8.png.ccdf3f868c515a5e53ebcc029a6e0468.png

I was surprised to see that book graded 9.8 with the visible, color-breaking spine stresses.  

On 9/3/2021 at 7:09 AM, I am not Glenda said:

Same here. I suggested we buy one in 2018 to my wife. I have no sentimental attachment to the Wolverine character whatsoever. So, it would have been exceedingly easy to sell it at a hefty profit one day and get a GOOD book. Got the usual barrage of disbelief and fear responses. Roughly $500 for a 9.0.

Just yesterday, I commented the same book is around $15k now. Instead of recognizing her error, she suggested that "if I had really wanted it and it was SUCH a good investment, I should have sold off some other books to finance an Incredible Hulk 181". Problem with that is the books I have I want to keep. It is why I bought them. Ho-Hum. Another argument I lose.

On 10/4/2021 at 4:13 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Same here. I suggested we buy one in 2018 to my wife. I have no sentimental attachment to the Wolverine character whatsoever. So, it would have been exceedingly easy to sell it at a hefty profit one day and get a GOOD book. Got the usual barrage of disbelief and fear responses. Roughly $500 for a 9.0.

Just yesterday, I commented the same book is around $15k now. Instead of recognizing her error, she suggested that "if I had really wanted it and it was SUCH a good investment, I should have sold off some other books to finance an Incredible Hulk 181". Problem with that is the books I have I want to keep. It is why I bought them. Ho-Hum. Another argument I lose.

I bought my 7.5 in 2017 and it was $1,775. No way a 9.0 was $500.

I bought a raw in 2015 that came back 3.5 for $500. 

JS

Gpaanalysis.com

Shows the value of hulk 181 for free, and you can look years back

On 10/4/2021 at 4:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 10/4/2021 at 4:13 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Expand  

JS

You'd have to go back to 2013 for it to be anywhere near $500

Screenshot_20211004-163457_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 10/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

I think your numbers are off.  I paid $750 for an 8.5 like 15 years ago 

On 10/4/2021 at 8:16 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 10/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

I think he meant 5K

On 10/4/2021 at 7:24 PM, comicdonna said:

I think he meant 5K

Lol hopefully it didnt sound like I was grilling anyone lol

But tbh that does make more sense, whoops!

I'd have a hard time letting go of 5k as well :tink:

On 10/4/2021 at 2:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

JS

On 10/4/2021 at 5:16 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

On 10/4/2021 at 5:24 PM, comicdonna said:

I think he meant 5K

Oh, come on you guys..............he was talking about what he had told his wife.  :makepoint:

When it's your better half that's involved, if you really want a book you need to drop a zero and if you are trying to justified how good of a deal you had made on a book that you purchased a few years ago, you need to add a zero back in there so that she'll continue to let you buy more books going forward.  lol

On 10/4/2021 at 9:47 PM, lou_fine said:

Oh, come on you guys..............he was talking about what he had told his wife.  :makepoint:

When it's your better half that's involved, if you really want a book you need to drop a zero and if you are trying to justified how good of a deal you had made on a book that you purchased a few years ago, you need to add a zero back in there so that she'll continue to let you buy more books going forward.  lol

Post of the day ^^

I mean I was running the gambit a bit shy, wondering if there was too good of deals to pass up. I'd like to think I'd even have $500 to jump on a deal that good!

And to be honest, that's how I got two hulk 181's at $500 back in 2015 and again in 2017... Not my 7.5 of course.

One came back 3.0 which I had signed by Stan in 2016 and the other came back 3.0, blue label, the latter I traded for ASM #300 in 9.8.

It's been a heckauva run and I don't want to tarnish anyone. That blue 3.0 I bought from a LCS too who is nice to repeat customers.

I'm long winded, but even in this era, support those brick and mortars. Possibly a life's blood!

On 6/20/2021 at 3:29 PM, MGsimba77 said:
On 6/20/2021 at 9:32 AM, Jaydogrules said:

$41k for a hulk 180??  :roflmao:

That puts a 9.8 181 at about $200k.

-J.

Not a chance (tsk) but the 9.9 would surpass a million in the right venue

Are you talking about a million U.S. Lincoln pennies because I certainly hope you are not talking about a million U.S. Washington greenbacks?  :bigsmile:

You do realize that the CGC 9.9 copy was graded way back in their first year of operations when grading standards were much more in line with traditional grading standards prior to CGC and hence most likely not yet been fine-tuned to line up with CCG's business model.  As others have already stated here, it is highly doubtful this CGC 9.9 graded copy would come back with the same grade if ever resubmitted with today's grading standards focused so much on fixable bends and pressable NCB's.  Even more so, if the rumours are indeed true and there is now clearly visible SCS damage on the book to the point that it might even fall below the 9.0 condition level if ever regraded, I highly doubt it would be able to fetch its original 6-figure purchase price, let alone a million dollars.  (shrug)

On 8/18/2021 at 4:57 PM, Homeboy32 said:
On 8/17/2021 at 5:38 PM, thehumantorch said:

Nope.  I get high grades all the time.  Odds are you just haven't learned to grade to CGC standards.  Please post some pics and perhaps we can point out defects that you've missed.

Here are pics of the only bends I could find. Absolutely not visible unless you look at the right angle using decent lighting. First one is under the 9. Second one is just above Wolverine's shoulder.

On 8/17/2021 at 5:42 PM, Kevin76 said:

The defects are there, sometimes you can't see them through the case 

From some of the posts that I read here, it sounds as though some of you think that grading is an exact science, whereas I tend to think that it's really nothing more than just a subjective opinion (albeit supposedly an "expert" one) at a particular point in time when a book crosses a grader's table, and as such, can be influenced by many different factors.  (shrug)

For those of you here who think that grading is pretty much an exact science, with these clearly visible cover defects alone which can easily be seen through the case, what would your absolute maximum grade be on a book like this one here with the defects running down the entire spine:  :fear:

54D047AB-E75F-4D79-8C11-DA2049BA574D.jpeg

On 10/5/2021 at 12:56 AM, lou_fine said:

From some of the posts that I read here, it sounds as though some of you think that grading is an exact science, whereas I tend to think that it's really nothing more than just a subjective opinion (albeit supposedly an "expert" one) at a particular point in time when a book crosses a grader's table, and as such, can be influenced by many different factors.  (shrug)

For those of you here who think that grading is pretty much an exact science, with these clearly visible cover defects alone which can easily be seen through the case, what would your absolute maximum grade be on a book like this one here with the defects running down the entire spine:  :fear:

54D047AB-E75F-4D79-8C11-DA2049BA574D.jpeg

Poster claims his books were badly undergraded and that the grading company must therefore be corrupt, giving high grades only to "large dealers."  Other posters helpfully offer to look at scans to help him identify the flaws that resulted in the grades his books got.

You respond with an example of an overgraded book as proof that grading is not an "exact science."

Not sure how that helps the conversation along ...