• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

If there's anything at the moment resembling a tumble its IH181 but just in 9.6. I mean it's not entirely surprising since this grade has had some flakiness happen before. Maybe it was the blue overspray on the back holding it back I don't know but....only 4.8k more than the 9.4 in the same auction??? Really??? This is weird O.o

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7244-94122.s

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7244-94123.s

You guys have the means, might be a good idea to move on a 9.6 right now. 

3 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Define "Fun". :whatev:

There's a magnificent Rain Storm 12 string acoustic electric vintage carbon fiber/spruce construction guitar that sounds like an orchestra all by itself, with my name just waiting to go on it. Obviously depending on a sale price, it will depend on how much is left that I can use on my wife's milestone birthday. That's 2 fun things off the top of my head :)

15 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

If there's anything at the moment resembling a tumble its IH181 but just in 9.6. I mean it's not entirely surprising since this grade has had some flakiness happen before. Maybe it was the blue overspray on the back holding it back I don't know but....only 4.8k more than the 9.4 in the same auction??? Really??? This is weird O.o

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7244-94122.s

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7244-94123.s

You guys have the means, might be a good idea to move on a 9.6 right now. 

I've been saying 9.6's have been under valued for years relative to what a 9.4 and 9.8 goes for. 

Especially since a 9.6 can be just one press away from being a 9.8 if you have the balls to gamble.

(But yeah the overspray on the 9.6 probably kept a bidder or two away.)

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I've been saying 9.6's have been under valued for years relative to what a 9.4 and 9.8 goes for. 

Especially since a 9.6 can be just one press away from being a 9.8 if you have the balls to gamble.

(But yeah the overspray on the 9.6 probably kept a bidder or two away.)

-J.

You know it's likely because there hasn't been a 9.8 auction in one of the big auction houses since early March. Yeah 3.5 months is not a long time but needless to say, the activity since then has been frenetic! I don't think it's a stretch to assume it tracks GSXM 9.8 and look where that's gone since March 4th. There has to be a solid looking 9.8 consigned on HA or one of the others sometime soon to set a real marker. At such point 9.6 9.4 will follow. In the meantime, nows a good time to strike a 9.6 if the means are there....or forever hold your piece 2c

Edited by MGsimba77

1 minute ago, MGsimba77 said:

You know it's likely because there hasn't been a solid looking 9.8 auction in one of the big auction houses since early March. Yeah 3.5 months is not a long time but needless to say, the activity since then has been frenetic! I don't think it's a stretch to assume it tracks GSXM 9.8 and look where that's gone since March 4th. There has to be a 9.8 consigned on HA or one of the others sometime soon to set a real marker. At such point 9.6 9.4 will follow. In the meantime, nows a good time to strike a 9.6 if the means are there....or forever hold your piece 2c

You would have to have amazing faith in this book to shell out that kind of money for the hope of continued growth like we have seen lately. According to CovrPrice a 9.6 sold for $35k in May but then $23k in June. While a 9.4 sold for $21k in May. How do you count on stability or risk management with that kind of volatility? I'm just trying to figure out how my 5.0 will go and I have no investment capital at risk! 

3 hours ago, Hownow53 said:

You would have to have amazing faith in this book to shell out that kind of money for the hope of continued growth like we have seen lately. According to CovrPrice a 9.6 sold for $35k in May but then $23k in June. While a 9.4 sold for $21k in May. How do you count on stability or risk management with that kind of volatility? I'm just trying to figure out how my 5.0 will go and I have no investment capital at risk! 

Yeah, completely agree. The only way I shell out any money is by trading in books I have to acquire a higher grade.

I've got a 9.2 copy and the only way I get a 9.6 is by trading it in to help offset the 9.6 price and then put other books on the table....then MAYBE shell out few bucks.

I've got the money to purchase a 9.6 straight up, but now way I would do it at those prices.     

6 hours ago, Hownow53 said:

By not selling within a year or two? You don't need the kind of growth like we've seen lately. It can't grow at that rate for a long time, it's too steep an upward curve. Doesn't mean it won't continue to appreciate gradually. As for the volatility. Absolutely nothing new there. In 2005 the low sale was $3050 and the high sale was $5750. That's about a 90% difference. Higher percentage than you are pointing out now. So does that mean the guy that bought the book for $5750 at the time over-payed? Yeah maybe in 2005. How do you think he feels about that now assuming he held onto the book? You look at any year, there is huge volatility within the sales for that specific year but one thing is constant, over time there is a good amount of appreciation. 

So far this year there's been two 9.8 with miswraps hit the auction block in Feb, March. The Clink hammered 60k the CC hammered 45.5k. Both looked almost identical with sizable white spines. If a 9.8 can see that kind of volatility any grade would be at risk of volatile gyrations. If lack of stability freaks you out you'll never buy this book. You're always going to have the occasional dud auction with common keys -- like someone taking advantage of the expedience Ebay offers -- but that doesn't make it a bad investment. At some point a very appealing 9.8 will hit auction on HA possibly resulting in some blowout number once these aggressive bidders get a crack. What does the low point baseline for a 9.6 look like after that? It won't be 23k!

A GSXM 9.8 hammered at 72k couple nights ago on HA. GSXM has always trailed 181 in all grades. IH180 9.8 hammered at 41k same day...ASM129 9.8 over 40k. So make of that what you will.

37 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

So far this year there's been two 9.8 with miswraps hit the auction block in Feb, March. The Clink hammered 60k the CC hammered 45.5k. Both looked almost identical with sizable white spines. If a 9.8 can see that kind of volatility any grade would be at risk of volatile gyrations. If lack of stability freaks you out you'll never buy this book. You're always going to have the occasional dud auction with common keys -- like someone taking advantage of the expedience Ebay offers -- but that doesn't make it a bad investment. At some point a very appealing 9.8 will hit auction on HA possibly resulting in some blowout number once these aggressive bidders get a crack. What does the low point baseline for a 9.6 look like after that? It won't be 23k!

A GSXM 9.8 hammered at 72k couple nights ago on HA. GSXM has always trailed 181 in all grades. IH180 9.8 hammered at 41k same day...ASM129 9.8 over 40k. So make of that what you will.

I can't believe people out there are actually paying those prices for those books.

It's like they're paying dollars $41 instead of thousands 41K. 

13 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

$41k for a hulk 180??  :roflmao:

That puts a 9.8 181 at about $200k.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

$41k for a hulk 180??  :roflmao:

That puts a 9.8 181 at about $200k.

-J.

Laugh all you like but 41k for IH180 and $72k for GSX1 definitely puts IH181 approaching $200k within possibility whether anyone thinks those prices are reasonable or not.  We won't know until another IH181 comes up for sale.   Regardless,  I bet the next one really sells for 6 figures

Well, for all of you prognosticators thinking about stratospheric prices for near perfect books that only the rich and famous will afford, how about looking in your crystal balls on what to expect, or how to price my 5.0 now and in the future by waiting for the the next Marvel interation?

Edited by Hownow53

3 hours ago, Hownow53 said:

Well, for all of you prognosticators thinking about stratospheric prices for near perfect books that only the rich and famous will afford, how about looking in your crystal balls on what to expect, or how to price my 5.0 now and in the future by waiting for the the next Marvel interation?

Checking the latest on GPA looks like it's in the high 5k range now. It started the year breaking 3k from ~ 2.5k late last year.

On 6/19/2021 at 10:38 PM, MGsimba77 said:

180 going up. I think that was a record price.

20 minutes ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

If complete then ya I'm thinking so, seller should be happy 😊

It's gonna grade low, still a complete copy  (thumbsu maybe buyer will do ok