• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Who knows (shrug), the parabolic growth of some books will surely  lead to the big drop if demand drops  suddenly.  Michael Jordan PSA 10s crashed from 700k to 300k recently.   Why can't comics?

We didn’t see the same kind of exponential growth.

16 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Who knows (shrug), the parabolic growth of some books will surely  lead to the big drop if demand drops  suddenly.  Michael Jordan PSA 10s crashed from 700k to 300k recently.   Why can't comics?

16 hours ago, piper said:

Agreed. As noted on some website, there were two 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan Rookie Cards that fetched $738K in January, and that result was jaw-dropping b/c it was a jump of more than $500K (250%) in less than a month (2 of them sold for $212K and $217K in Dec/Jan).  Not even IH181 has seen that much growth in such a short period of time.   And there are currently 316 (!) of the 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan Rookie Cards that have received grades of PSA Gem Mint 10.  That dwarfs the 127 total IH181s in 9.8 (w/ one 9.9).   And, sadly, I don't think that MJ will be unretiring for a third fourth time any time soon, so there was no catalyst to justify the extreme uptick.  By contrast, there is X-Men's (and Wolverine's) anticipated return to the big screen, etc., which is a legit catalyst.

Edited by Pantodude
boo boo

47 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Hmmm.

46 minutes ago, Pantodude said:

Agreed. As noted on some website, there were two 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan Rookie Cards that fetched $738K in January, and that result was jaw-dropping b/c it was a jump of more than $500K (250%) in less than a month (2 of them sold for $212K and $217K in Dec/Jan).  Not even IH181 has seen that much growth in such a short period of time.   And there are currently 316 (!) of the 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan Rookie Cards that have received grades of PSA Gem Mint 10.  That dwarfs the 127 total IH181s in 9.8 (w/ one 9.9).   And, sadly, I don't think that MJ will be unretiring for a third time any time soon, so there was no catalyst to justify the extreme uptick.  By contrast, there is X-Men's (and Wolverine's) anticipated return to the big screen, etc., which is a legit catalyst.

10 hours ago, piper said:

Books Like GSX1 have been crazy the last few months.  Not MJ rookie card crazy but still asinine ...  I remember a 9.2 was around 4k in January..  In  April, it hit 15.7K  which is almost 400 percent... That's a very substantial hike in my book.   However, the most recent sale is 9k... that's a pretty big pullback in my opinion... Time will tell

On 6/13/2021 at 8:54 PM, piper said:
On 6/13/2021 at 8:50 PM, Wolverinex said:

Are you sure about this?  hm

Weren't books like XM94 in CGC 9.8 selling only in the teens before hitting in the low $20K's earlier this year and then going to $63K the other month?

Weren't GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 going for only somehwere in the $20K's before shooting up to $67K and then dropping back down into the low $60k's?

Weren't CGC 9.8 graded copies of TMNT 1 selling in the $50K's to $60K's last year and now we see slightly lower CGC 9.6 graded copies selling in April for $66K which was then followed by a sale at $88K 2 short weeks later.

Or to top off the craziness, how about a no name books like Transformers 1 selling for $44K!!!  :screwy:

18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Are you sure about this?  hm

Weren't books like XM94 in CGC 9.8 selling only in the teens before hitting in the low $20K's earlier this year and then going to $63K the other month?

Weren't GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 going for only somehwere in the $20K's before shooting up to $67K and then dropping back down into the low $60k's?

Weren't CGC 9.8 graded copies of TMNT 1 selling in the $50K's to $60K's last year and now we see slightly lower CGC 9.6 graded copies selling in April for $66K which was then followed by a sale at $88K 2 short weeks later.

Or to top off the craziness, how about a no name books like Transformers 1 selling for $44K!!!  :screwy:

Exactly.  I was confused,  because the prices I have been watching have been insane the past few months

On 6/13/2021 at 11:50 PM, Wolverinex said:

Buy the dip

I have owned this book since 1974. Just got it pressed & graded from CGC (was waiting to get my book back before I posted the grade back on Buddy Can You Spare A Grade but for anyone who might have been still honing their grading skills) *Spoilers Alert:

it got a 5.0, which I am ecstatic about as it is a well read comic.. 

Anyway, my quandary now is to hold or sell. I don't NEED the money, but I am now retired and would have no trouble spending it on something fun. On the other hand, FOMO has me worrying more about selling too early and missing even more fasy growth if the movie will be a plus, more than a price collapse concern.

Just curious on what you guys might do in my shoes?

50 minutes ago, Hownow53 said:

Just curious on what you guys might do in my shoes?

If you want to sell it at some point, I'd recommend holding until the inevitable movie and/or casting announcement, then sell.

There is going to be a Marvel Universe Movie with an all out battle between Wolverine and the Hulk. It's just a matter of time....and it's gonna' be big. That would be a good time to sell. As for, I'll still hang onto the copy I have. I learned a long time ago the best time to sell, is when you need the money and I've always suffered seller's remorse whenever I sold any part of my collection so I stopped selling about 20 years ago. 

1 hour ago, MisterX said:

If you want to sell it at some point, I'd recommend holding until the inevitable movie and/or casting announcement, then sell.

Thanks. So it's safe to believe that a new origin movie won't movie won't diminish the original book, much as the multiple Spider-Man movie versions haven't cut into the value of ASM key books? 

Seems logical :wishluck:

48 minutes ago, ninanina said:

There is going to be a Marvel Universe Movie with an all out battle between Wolverine and the Hulk. It's just a matter of time....and it's gonna' be big. That would be a good time to sell. As for, I'll still hang onto the copy I have. I learned a long time ago the best time to sell, is when you need the money and I've always suffered seller's remorse whenever I sold any part of my collection so I stopped selling about 20 years ago. 

Thanks. Ah, seller's remorse. Fear of that could certainly become an obstacle at any point to benefitting from the increased value of the book. But you can make that case on any item of value that you get at a low cost and has now appreciated exponentially. 

2 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Sell it when you're in retirement 

Ummm.................................I believe you might have been reasing too fast and missed this part of his post here:  :gossip:

6 hours ago, Hownow53 said:

I don't NEED the money, but I am now retired and would have no trouble spending it on something fun.