• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk #181 - is it *that* red-hot?
17 17

1,923 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Probably because nobody actually believes Disney would ever have a 52 year old back in that role.  

-J.

Why be surprised. Harrison Ford was 77 in the last Star Wars movie, 76 in the last Blade Runner, and is in yet another version of Indiana Jones yet to be released, and he's 79. 

10 minutes ago, Hownow53 said:

Why be surprised. Harrison Ford was 77 in the last Star Wars movie, 76 in the last Blade Runner, and is in yet another version of Indiana Jones yet to be released, and he's 79. 

You're joking, right ?

Anyway, it is already common knowledge Jackman is done.  

-J.

What's going on with Hulk 181? According to GoCollect the whole book is trending down. I'm afraid I missed the highwater mark on my cgc 5.0 and am seeing big pullback in sale prices. I hate to sell anything on the down side, but if its going to take years for MCU news to turn the tide, and I don't have that big a time window to wait, should I just cut bait?

On 7/29/2021 at 10:26 AM, Hownow53 said:

What's going on with Hulk 181? According to GoCollect the whole book is trending down. I'm afraid I missed the highwater mark on my cgc 5.0 and am seeing big pullback in sale prices. I hate to sell anything on the down side, but if its going to take years for MCU news to turn the tide, and I don't have that big a time window to wait, should I just cut bait?

I am not being a smart @ss but did you think 181 or any Bronze age was indefinitely going to just keep trending up? You have been on the boards since 2013 so I assume you know how this works and without looking I would guarantee your 5.0 is worth more then it was pre "INSANE" spike. If you were just in it for making the most money imho the book was at a high mark a few months ago, Economic trends are point to a more traditional growth rate for this hobby and most other collectables ( imho the exception maybe being graded video games which  are just coming into there own as buyers realize how rare some games are sealed and in high grade ).  As to 181, GSXM, ASM 300 etc. we seem to returning to a more stable ( supply/demand) market, that being said I just sold a THOR 245 vf for $100 bucks and that was a good deal for the buyer so the MCU what hot and not THIS WEEK trend seems to be where all the action is these days.

Edited by I am not Glenda

On 7/29/2021 at 10:44 AM, I am not Glenda said:

I am not being a smart @ss but did you think 181 or any Bronze age was indefinitely going to just keep trending up? You have been on the boards since 2013 so I assume you know how this works and without looking I would guarantee your 5.0 is worth more then it was pre "INSANE" spike. If you were just in it for making the most money imho the book was at a high mark a few months ago, Economic trends are point to a more traditional growth rate for this hobby and most other collectables ( imho the exception maybe being graded video games which  are just coming into there own as buyers realize how rare some games are sealed and in high grade ).  As to 181, GSXM, ASM 300 etc. we seem to returning to a more stable ( supply/demand) market, that being said I just sold a THOR 245 vf for $100 bucks and that was a good deal for the buyer so the MCU what hot and not THIS WEEK trend seems to be where all the action is these days.

I'm sure you're not being a smart @ss, but you are certainly wrong about me. I only joined CGC in May of this year after and I have been trying to keep abreast of as many developments, opinions, and trends as I can. It's not easy filtering out all of the competing voices that tell you to sell or hold, etc. My goal IS to sell it. It's a question of when. 

On 7/29/2021 at 1:08 PM, Hownow53 said:

I'm sure you're not being a smart @ss, but you are certainly wrong about me. I only joined CGC in May of this year after and I have been trying to keep abreast of as many developments, opinions, and trends as I can. It's not easy filtering out all of the competing voices that tell you to sell or hold, etc. My goal IS to sell it. It's a question of when. 

Sorry thought I saw you were a member a long time ago, getting old and looked at the wrong member lol good luck with the book

On 7/29/2021 at 10:26 AM, Hownow53 said:

If u need the money,  sell now.  If not,  hlod for a few years. 

On 7/29/2021 at 11:08 AM, Hownow53 said:

When?  When it's at it's highest value.  hm that was easy.

We've seen this before from this book. 

IH181 seems to experience the most volatility of any big key.  When it goes up, it goes up like crazy! But then it seems to pull back pretty far. 

It's like any investment, with enough time, it should always be a winner. But if you don't have time, sell now.

I imagine the pull back isn't over and I would say prices are more likely to be lower in an month, than higher. 

Conversely, in 2 years I imagine prices will be higher... So, there is that. 

On 7/29/2021 at 10:08 AM, Hownow53 said:

you missed the peak. just hold your 181 for awhile. this book will go up once again. it is as sure a bet as any book, its just a matter of when. also keep in mind that white page copies sell for more than other page quality copies of the same grade. so two different results on gpa or comiclink may be due to the difference between a white page copy and a cream to off white copy.

Edited by alexgross.com

On 8/3/2021 at 11:13 PM, alexgross.com said:

you missed the peak. just hold your 181 for awhile. this book will go up once again. it is as sure a bet as any book, its just a matter of when. also keep in mind that white page copies sell for more than other page quality copies of the same grade. so two different results on gpa or comiclink may be due to the difference between a white page copy and a cream to off white copy.

Mine is off white to white pages.

HULK 181 is and shall always remain to me a bellwether comic.  My 2-cents. :preach:

A bellwether is a leader or an indicator of trends. The term derives from the Middle English bellewether and refers to the practice of placing a bell around the neck of a castrated ram (a wether) leading a flock of sheep. A shepherd could then note the movements of the animals by hearing the bell, even when the flock was not in sight.

If you do sell, don't sell yourself short just b/c yours is not White pages.  Contrary to what some folks say on here (too often I might add), all the page qualities have been fetching the same money more often than not.   We have already gone through this issue at length on these boards a few months ago, and the GPA data did NOT support the white page premium, despite expectations.  Don't recall whether IH181 was an example, but we looked at various books.  In short, you can expect top money via ebay and Heritage (whatever is reported by GPA) if your book is at least Off White for sure, but even also Cream/Off-white for well-presenting books (although tougher to get top $ for BA books).   So be aggressive if you  sell and have both patience and time.  

Edited by Pantodude

Hello All. This is my first post. My Hulk 181 is scheduled to arrive Monday! Not much of a collector, have just a hand full of comics. Only other graded comic is Wolverine #1. This comic has been on my radar for at least 15yrs though. Can't wait. It's a 9.0 with white pages. I didn't receive it yet, but this is the picture the seller originally sent me. He was asking $10,000 for it. I offered $8,500 but we settled for $9,500. I don't plan on ever selling it honestly. I'll pass it down to my son eventually who's 1.5yrs old now! Thoughts?

HULK 181.JPG

On 8/6/2021 at 9:52 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I can only go by my personal experience in buying, and also my personal bias in how I make my choices as a buyer.  But for me:

• Under no circumstance would I buy a 9.8 with anything less than WP
  • For 9.6, generally I want to get WP and I always want WP if it's Bronze or later
  • For 8.0 - 9.4, OW/W or better is fine but I will settle for OW on pre-1966 books
  • Below 8.0, I would like to see OW or better but I often buy CR/OW pre-hero books and it doesn't bother me

So in short, my level of "demand" for better PQ is highly correlated to the age and grade of the book.  My intuition tells me that there are enough buyers with somewhat similar thoughts about this, and that prices would reflect that -- but I haven't done any sort of analysis to prove or disprove that.  I do know that sellers of Bronze Age books, especially keys, absolutely will attempt to charge a premium for white pages.  So if you as a buyer disagree on that, you'll have to fight them on it or walk.

Hulk #181 is a book with extremely high supply of available copies.  So if I were buying 9.4 or higher, I would expect to see a premium for WP over OW/W and I would not advise buying an OW copy unless you are getting an excellent deal and if there are other features of the book (most notably centering) that make it stand out on the positive side.

there is indeed a premium for white pages on hulk 181 and on any book from any era. i've no idea what gpa data @Pantodudeis referring to since they do not track page quality. as someone who's been buying and selling hulk181s for around 7 years now, and watching hundreds of auctions, i've seen it over and over. owwp books sell for more than c/ow books and wp books sell for more than any others. if a book is badly centered that also can lower price.

golden age books that are hard to find like cap3 are sought after in any page quality, of course, though a white page copy would command a significant premium over all others. common bronze age books like hulk181 are sought in all page qualities, but since they are plentiful in wp, many collectors only pursue those. i know at least 5 boardies who only collect white page silver and bronze books, probably more. 

@Pantodude will now doubtless tell us why he knows more than the rest of us and how we are wrong about everything. lucky us. 

On 8/7/2021 at 3:18 PM, alexgross.com said:

there is indeed a premium for white pages on hulk 181 and on any book from any era. i've no idea what gpa data @Pantodudeis referring to since they do not track page quality. as someone who's been buying and selling hulk181s for around 7 years now, and watching hundreds of auctions, i've seen it over and over. owwp books sell for more than c/ow books and wp books sell for more than any others. if a book is badly centered that also can lower price.

golden age books that are hard to find like cap3 are sought after in any page quality, of course, though a white page copy would command a significant premium over all others. common bronze age books like hulk181 are sought in all page qualities, but since they are plentiful in wp, many collectors only pursue those. i know at least 5 boardies who only collect white page silver and bronze books, probably more. 

@Pantodude will now doubtless tell us why he knows more than the rest of us and how we are wrong about everything. lucky us. 

Oh boy.  Why so defensive alexgross?  This is a forum.  Relax.  I didn't say white pages shouldn't go for more.  Just that they haven't consistently.   Here's an IDEA for you.  GPA tracks page quality if you open the links to the certified slabs.  Surprise!   So I wonder what GPA you have been using.  (shrug)  Not cool to attack me for disagreeing with your point of view.  Be mad at the data.  :baiting:  Enjoy your books, but let others enjoy theirs, too.  (thumbsu  With the market the way it's been, every potential seller should try to sell for most they can.  That was my advice.  You shouldn't have been offended by that.  

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!  So here I go again....with data for alexgross.com, in case he doesn't have GPA.  And this time for IH181 specifically, and for the most recent six sales in blue 5.0 (a random the relevant grade), to make the simple point.  No white, but a mix of C/OW, OW, and OW/W to show the point quite clearly.

5/8/21: C/OW  $4950
5/10/21:  OW/W $4900
5/29/21: C/OW  $5250
6/6/21: OW/W $4350
6/12/21: OW $5699
8/4/21:   OW/W $4788

As you can see, alexgross.com, even for a BA book like IH181, the C/OW fetched the two highest prices out of three in May, and the $5250 for the C/OW on 5/29 was the second highest sale from 5/8/21 through 8/4/21!   And even then, the $5699 high for the period was an OW, beating out all the OW/Ws during the period.  Note that the $5699 for the 6/12/21 OW was MUCH more then the $4350 for the OW/W on 6/6/21 went for.  That is what the data shows consistently, including with WHITE pagers (as previously discussed with numerous examples on these boards months ago).   Your welcome, alexgross.com.  (thumbsu I do enjoy your posts of white pagers, btw. 

Edited by Pantodude