• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

Almost beating a dead horse at this point, but I'm in agreement with the majority here.  If you're putting your self into a deal to broker a sale, it's up to you to make it whole if it falls apart.  Also, maybe if 600 bucks is the difference between you being homeless or not, perhaps don't put yourself into deals like this.

Hate this happened to you Jeff, you've always been top notch in my book. :sorry:

3 hours ago, DeadOne said:

@Jordysnordy

If he is able to simply refuse the package, it might not bode well. The package will then be travelling back to you as "postage due". I'm not saying the post office will purposely be less concerned with that package as one that is actually being paid for, but every person in the handling of that package will know it is being returned with the "intent" on being paid. If it's crossing borders, even longer and even more hands.
I think if a return is eminent, paying for postage is the best bet.

Another thing to consider is how will PayPal look at issuing a refund if the buyer (the middle man) can actually provide a return tracking number. If they can prove that the package was sent back to you, even if it is without your consent, PayPal might consider this a reason to refund.

It might be in your best interest to accept the return with the caveat that they pay for the return shipping... and only refund the money after the package is safely in your hands.

^^edit**
I would also say that the buyer is also responsible for the original shipping charges as well. Both the shipping to and return shipping charges should be recouped from his "friend".

I’m unfamiliar with USPS rules - anyone know if you can actually refuse a package that has been delivered? 

Is he expecting you to now give a refund or is he going through paypal? I would expect at the very least you would withhold shipping costs both ways as well as any paypal fees you were charged. A probation list nomination should also be happening. 

Another boardie has offered to take the books and sell them at a con this summer that he is attending. I offered to split the proceeds with him as it’s very generous of him.

I messaged the delinquent boardie and asked for a refund on my shipping costs and for him to send the books to the life saving boardie and after they have been received I will refund his payment. Waiting on a reply. I will lose money on this but c’est la vie.

2 minutes ago, wombat said:

Is he expecting you to now give a refund or is he going through paypal? I would expect at the very least you would withhold shipping costs both ways as well as any paypal fees you were charged. A probation list nomination should also be happening. 

If he claims this through PayPal - saying he refused the box, I’m not sure how PayPal would rule and they may refund him the whole amount, which would suck even more!! Right now we haven’t gotten that far. I think my PayPal fees will be reversed if I refund his payment but I did ask for my shipping costs to be sent to me by PayPal before he returns the books. Waiting to see if he will do the right thing.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Images said:

Also was it sent with a signature required?

I’m out of town right now and I don’t remember if I sent it with signature required. It did have a tracking number. And he does have the box. 

Mental note to self to now make sure when I send stuff to the US I should always use the signature required option to make sure this doesn’t happen again. But I have the feeling that even with the signature required he would/could fight it with PayPal so it’s kind of a lose/lose for the seller if this happens.

9 minutes ago, newshane said:

+1

I have many PMs asking for the boardies name but for now I will keep it private. If I end up nominating him for the PL list everyone will find out. I really don’t want to have to go that route so hopefully he will make good on the offer I proposed.