• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

my opinion:

The transaction is complete. That the person who bought the books from you now no longer has a buyer isn't your problem.

Which is fine to say. Until he does a PP chargeback. 

Update: looks like we have a resolution to this mess. Boardie doesn’t trust me enough to refund his payment after he returns the books. So I had to have another well respected boardie contact this guy and vouch for me if you can believe it. Like I need vouching for in all of this. But because I am trying to do the right thing - something that obviously isn’t being reciprocated - I agreed to let the other boardie vouch for me - so laughable at this point. Boardie will not agree to pay my original shipping cost of $45.00 (stamp says $32.00ish but there are taxes and other charges in Canada - for full disclosure). I said pay for shipping to Randall and I agreed to deduct $30.00 from his refund when Randall gets the books. 

3 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Boardie will not agree to pay my original shipping cost of $45.00 (stamp says $32.00ish but there are taxes and other charges in Canada - for full disclosure). 

I wonder how the conversation goes in his head. Well, how can I be more of a d bag now? 

14 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Update: looks like we have a resolution to this mess. Boardie doesn’t trust me enough to refund his payment after he returns the books. So I had to have another well respected boardie contact this guy and vouch for me if you can believe it. Like I need vouching for in all of this. But because I am trying to do the right thing - something that obviously isn’t being reciprocated - I agreed to let the other boardie vouch for me - so laughable at this point. Boardie will not agree to pay my original shipping cost of $45.00 (stamp says $32.00ish but there are taxes and other charges in Canada - for full disclosure). I said pay for shipping to Randall and I agreed to deduct $30.00 from his refund when Randall gets the books. 

Just my opinion, but his refusal to pay return shipping costs seems to veer into PL territory. 

Earlier, his “friend” tried to equate his backing out and refusing the package to availing themselves of a return policy. 

I know you didn’t discuss terms of a return, but in my experience anytime I’ve requested to return books due to a disagreement on condition - let alone simply changing my mind - it was always understood that I would pay return shipping. 

My impression is that was kind of standard. 

Edited by Number 6

Just now, Number 6 said:

Just my opinion, but his refusal to pay return shipping costs seems to veer into PL territory. 

Earlier, his “friend” tried to equate his backing out and refusing the package to availing themselves if a return policy. 

I know you didn’t discuss terms of a return, but in my experience anytime I’ve requested to return books due to a disagreement on condition - let alone simply changing my mind - it was always understood that I would pay return shipping. 

My impression is that was kind of standard. 

Totally agreed but this mess has been anything but standard!

On 4/29/2018 at 6:48 AM, Jordysnordy said:

The boardie paid for the books and I shipped them to the boardie because his friend couldn’t afford the books now and didn’t want his wife knowing about it. 

As soon as I read this as part of a transaction I would have stopped it right there and said HEEEELLLL No!

I read through the entire thread and agree 100% it is the middle man's responsibility and reputation as the broker to honor the original agreement. furthermore, since no return options/terms were ever discussed or stated, then none should be considered offered even on principle.

However, since you're dealing with paypal, none of the above matters at all including who is right or wrong here because paypal will be the final judge.

My advice is to just TAKE THE RETURN DIRECTLY. You should have already contacted paypal by now and explained the situation. Always be the first to bring it to their attention. See what they say.  I'm not sure they will honor a package refusal as a return without tracking info to confirm you even received the package so make sure they will before your buddy tries to do a refusal. he may screw himself out of a return trying to be cheap about it.  

Ask for him to cover return shipping and a bury-the-hatchet, end-forum-drama, make-this-all-go-away fee which could be as little as the cost of you shipping to Randall or a 10-20% restocking fee. 

If he refuses to meet those demands, go ahead and accept the return directly, receive the books, refund him, and then come back on here and decide if you want to nominate him.

Since he is probably reading this I'll help incentivize his compliance: IF HE DOESN'T MEET YOUR RETURN DEMANDS I'LL PAYPAL F&F YOU $1 if you PM me his INFO. If you get 45 people willing to pay $1 for his name/ID, that will pretty much cover the cost of shipping and help us avoid dealing with him. win win.