• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

The middle man had the funds to pay me but now that his boardie won’t pay him, he says he needs the refund to pay his rent. “Friend” was supposed to repay boardie at the end of April. I haven’t divulged any info about the boardie because I don’t want to cause him any board damage - that’s not my intention. I truly want advice on the best way to handle this mess. I have done many, many transactions on the boards and this is my 1st issue.

Sounds like he should not be collecting comics, let alone trying to broker deals if this causes problems paying his rent. Get your house in order before you pick up hobbies.

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

This answer may or may not be popular..... but here it is.... but it is in the form of a question. Did you offer an unconditional return period ? With my sales, I accept returns for ANY reason within 2 weeks of receipt.... even for a change of mind. After 2 weeks it would depend on the circumstances..... undisclosed resto I try to cover for 6 months to accommodate for CGC's turnaround times. If this were my problem I would accept the return unless it was agreeded that I was out of the loop in advance. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I'm in agreement here. If nothing is stated otherwise, there is always an implied right to return in a reasonable time frame, especially as paypal can help force the issue. The buyer should return the books, at his own expense, and then given the higher than usual shipping costs due to the size and international destination, they should be willing to have the initial shipping costs deducted from their refund. It's up to them to recoup those expenses from their "friend", with whom, they, not the seller had an arrangement. Conversely, the financial inconvenience of the seller in having to refund for the books themselves, isn't really the buyer's problem. The third party backing out has essentially botched the sale for the other two parties, and unfortunately any fair outcome is going to leave both sides put out.  

A situation much like this happened to me just last week. An American friend contacted me some months ago, telling me her cousin( note I have no connection to said cousin at this stage, he's just a rando) collected Funko POPs, and that there were some upcoming Australian exclusive ones that he really wanted. Could I get them for him. I got a bad feeling about it all right there, but I ignored it and carried on down Stupidity Lane. 

They were sold out everywhere, apparently, could I help? So okay, as a collector of action figs and statues myself, I tried my normal dealers. Nothing. But I did find luck with a store id been meaning to buy from for some time. They took the preorder, all good.i informed my friend, and she likewise told her cousin, that they're ordered, that's it, we're good, you can stop looking for them. I also briefly went through my selling rules, which are that I don't charge a finders fee, and only expect exact reimbursement for my costs and shipping. I told her not to pay until I've mailed the final package to America (they had to come to me first), so I'll have a complete total, including any currency conversion charges, etc. All cool with them. 

Now, the expected date was a bit unclear, saying either October or January. They didn't ship in October, so okay, January. In January there was nothing, so I emailed the store and was told they'd been pushed back to April. I gave all these updates to my friend, no worry. I even said at one stage I can cancel if you want, seeing it's taken so long, and she emphatically replied 'no'. Okay. 

They arrived last week. I messaged my friend and told her, and told her I needed the mailing address, to forward them to America. She's gets back to me and tells me 'oh, he said he already got them somewhere else'. My reply? 'Well now he's got two.'

Cousin was insistent on not paying, because he bought them elsewhere, and he says he never got updates. My response to that was that my friend/his cousin had all the details, all he had to do was ask her. I didn't have any of his details, so I couldn't contact him. He asked why he should pay. I responded that we'd had a deal, which was agreed to by all parties. He then went quiet, and stopped responding to me altogether (although I could see he had read everything I'd sent) . After 3 days I started sending Effin'Birds memes there, that were abusive at him, just for funsies. 

Within minutes of sending the memes, surprise surprise, I get a message from my friend, telling me her cousin is furious at what I sent him. I said I don't care. He's screwed me out of money, and I hate that it was a insufficiently_thoughtful_person who screwed me, and not at least someone with a brain. She then started on me, how wrong the memes were, she's disappointed in me, etc. I told her I'll put the disappointment in my wallet. 

She then freaked out, because I was furious about it all, and agreed to cover the cost of them. However, instead of mailing them to her, she wants me to try and sell them on ebay to recoup cash if possible. Now no, I'm not doing that. I've already done enough work for this deal, a deal I get nothing out of, anyway. I'm not wasting more time on it by putting them on eBay.

She still hasn't paid me, but I believe she will do that. She's just going to make me remind her, which I shouldn't have to do. I've been doing deals like this for almost 20 years, and this is the first that's gone wrong. 

@Jordysnordy

If he is able to simply refuse the package, it might not bode well. The package will then be travelling back to you as "postage due". I'm not saying the post office will purposely be less concerned with that package as one that is actually being paid for, but every person in the handling of that package will know it is being returned with the "intent" on being paid. If it's crossing borders, even longer and even more hands.
I think if a return is eminent, paying for postage is the best bet.

Another thing to consider is how will PayPal look at issuing a refund if the buyer (the middle man) can actually provide a return tracking number. If they can prove that the package was sent back to you, even if it is without your consent, PayPal might consider this a reason to refund.

It might be in your best interest to accept the return with the caveat that they pay for the return shipping... and only refund the money after the package is safely in your hands.

^^edit**
I would also say that the buyer is also responsible for the original shipping charges as well. Both the shipping to and return shipping charges should be recouped from his "friend".

Edited by DeadOne

9 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

I doubt this would be PL worthy at this point since no board member is waiting to be made whole. Now if the buyer forces a refund through PayPal, that could change.

Agreed. I would let the Boardie know that if he forces the refund through PP, he will be nominated. The Boardie can see by the reaction here that, if nominated, the sentiment would be totally against him.