• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice on a sale that is going sideways
7 7

573 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, wombat said:

He seems to take zero responsibility for the entire mess. You have no idea if this has happened before or might happen again. When people don't out buyers like this they make it easy for them to do it again. Something to think about. 

+1

The responses show a tiny bit of remorse for an uncomfortable situation, but he honestly acts like you are out nothing but time. Not cool.

20 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I have many PMs asking for the boardies name but for now I will keep it private. If I end up nominating him for the PL list everyone will find out. I really don’t want to have to go that route so hopefully he will make good on the offer I proposed.

Jeff, you are one of the most stand up boardies I've come across and I'm really sorry this situation is happening right now.  From what I can tell I don't see that you did anything wrong.  From my own personal experience, whenever I've brokered deals for a 3rd party I've always taken responsibility when things have gotten complicated and I feel thats what they should have done here.  This guy really needs to be accountable for the situation he facilitated, and deal with his friend on his own.  From where I stand, you shouldn't even be part of the equation anymore.  You jjust tried to be fair and give this guy a good deal like you always do.  If they don't accept your more than fair proposed offer to get them off the hook, then PL is definitely the way to go.  And kudos to the boardie who stepped up after reading this thread and offered to buy the books and sell them at their next con!

4 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Come on random_unnamed_boardmember.  Handle your business, pay up, then deal with your buddy privately.

+1 100%

17 minutes ago, wombat said:

He seems to take zero responsibility for the entire mess. You have no idea if this has happened before or might happen again. When people don't out buyers like this they make it easy for them to do it again. Something to think about. 

I agree.  The boardie has caused nothing but problems for the OP, and shows no consideration.  It doesn't make sense to protect his identity.  You would be doing many here a huge favor by letting us know who this person is.  Not wait for it to happen to someone else.  

I’m pretty sure you can only deny delivery at the time the delivery occurs.  Otherwise they have zero proof the recipient didn’t open the package.  Even with photos.  I think he’s trying to bluff his way out of this.  In addition, do you think this Pat person even exists?

8 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I’m pretty sure you can only deny delivery at the time the delivery occurs.  Otherwise they have zero proof the recipient didn’t open the package.  Even with photos.  I think he’s trying to bluff his way out of this.  In addition, do you think this Pat person even exists?

All good points. Say he did open the package, empty it out and fill it up with other books and just put the labels on a new box and seal it closed, how would USPS even know since the box has been with the boardie for over 24 hours now and will have it until Monday when he goes to return it?

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

All good points. Say he did open the package, empty it out and fill it up with other books and just put the labels on a new box and seal it closed, how would USPS even know since the box has been with the boardie for over 24 hours now and will have it until Monday when he goes to return it?

They may accept the refusal just because the delivery was made on a Saturday to his front porch and there would have been no way for him to immediately refuse it until Monday (tomorrow). Since most USPS items are not subject to inspection (exception being Media Mail), if the weight is correct and the package doesn't look like it had been opened or otherwise tampered with, they probably would not know what is in the box.

If it is returned to you, or sent to another board member, I suggest that that it is opened in the presence of a postal employee. Any form of shenanigans could then be reported as a crime (fraud).

9 minutes ago, DeadOne said:

They may accept the refusal just because the delivery was made on a Saturday to his front porch and there would have been no way for him to immediately refuse it until Monday (tomorrow). Since most USPS items are not subject to inspection (exception being Media Mail), if the weight is correct and the package doesn't look like it had been opened or otherwise tampered with, they probably would not know what is in the box.

If it is returned to you, or sent to another board member, I suggest that that it is opened in the presence of a postal employee. Any form of shenanigans could then be reported as a crime (fraud).

hm

Edited by icefires

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

I agree.  The boardie has caused nothing but problems for the OP, and shows no consideration.  It doesn't make sense to protect his identity.  You would be doing many here a huge favor by letting us know who this person is.  Not wait for it to happen to someone else.  

The Boardie's reference to his brother in the PM rings a familiar bell. Wasn't there a recent post by a Boardie trying to sell a book before his brother took it from him ?

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

This is the message I received 

67C8C369-A8B9-4D07-B8A1-9C3BED7B89E2.png

So you’ll still buy books for your brother because you know “he would never do anything like this.” Does this mean you had an inkling that this friend of yours could be a weasel but you went ahead and got Jordysnorty involved anyhow?  Nice!

No good deed goes unpunished, jordysnorty. 

Edited by NoMan

last thought on this.

Many of us on the boards have bought books that we've either passed along to the person we knew was looking for them, sometimes for a small finders fee (either asked for or offered freely), sometimes we've bought books we knew we could resell elsewhere for a small (or sometimes large) profit. Its not why we're here, but it does help us fund more purchases down the road. 

If you arent willing to sometimes take one in the pants (ie bite it on a passthru sale that falls thru leaving u with the books) you shouldnt involve yourself in that part of the market, and the market should similarly steer clear of you in those scenarios. 

Good on the secret benefactor helping out. Far more good guys (and girls) on this board than miscreants.

Edited by miraclemet
cuz

26 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

The Boardie's reference to his brother in the PM rings a familiar bell. Wasn't there a recent post by a Boardie trying to sell a book before his brother took it from him ?

lol it’s not him. 

What would I do if a friend asked me to purchase books for him?

1. I would ask my friend for the money first, at the very least.

2. I would likely direct my friend to a dealer, then suggest he have the comics shipped to his place of employment if he is too afraid of his wife to have it shipped to his house.

The unnamed boardie was probably trying to rip off his "friend" by pulling the typical middle-man surcharge scam.

Or maybe the unnamed boardie isn't involved with a third-party after all? Too many logical ways out of this mess. Whoever you are out there, why don't you go through a reasonable return process instead of having it returned to the sender on his dime, especially after he spent the time to grade, scan, and pack the books? BETTER YET, why don't you keep the books you paid for in good faith? Duke it out with your "friend". Then sell the books here on on eBay to recoup your loss? Very disgusting behavior to go about it the way in which you are going about it.

5 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

Third party sales of any kind are trouble waiting to happen in my book.  I hope you get it sorted asap... :wishluck:

I always thought third party sales are frowned upon ? I remember once being contacted by a dealer about some early Brave and Bold comics. While I was still mulling over them, I went to a local convention and the same books were on another dealer's wall. I mentioned to the dealer at the con that I was just offered these books from the other dealer. He was mad,mad,mad. He said that was unethical and frowned upon.

The more I think about this current situation, it doesn't make sense. Why would the Boardie need to broker the deal for his friend by paying from his own pocket ? Why not have his friend pay Jordysnordy directly and have the books shipped directly to him. It's pretty obvious the Boardie was taking a middle man cut and something went amiss. This is backing out of a purchase, plain and simple.