• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Doctor Strange 2 announced.
7 7

1,008 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2022 at 2:51 AM, Larryw7 said:

Black Widow had a higher cinemascore! :whatthe:

Wow. We had people in our group, not to mention the boardies' names, fall asleep during BW. lol 

Edited by kimik

Saw it Thursday and really enjoyed it.  I'm not a Sam Raimi fanboy, but I appreciated the horror element he brought into the MCU.  There were some plot holes, especially with Wanda's powers, but for the most part me, and the people I went with, would all watch it again.  8/10.

The way they won in the end was so saccharine and predictable.  The movie was weak.  The more I think about it the less I like it.  It was very disappointing as I had higher hopes for it after the recent MCU duds (Spidey excluded).  I understand that some people enjoyed it and that’s ok.  I’m glad you did.  This one wasn’t for me.  

On 5/7/2022 at 8:04 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Hate to say it, but I thought this was easily a bottom 3 MCU movie.  Very poorly executed (by which I mean, tons of scenes with jarringly bad scripting, directing, acting, even music) and full of moments that were either cringey or unintentionally funny.  I looked around and the body language of the audience (including my own) was just terrible.  Well before the halfway point, people could not wait for it to be over.

What I've loved all these years is how the MCU has so expertly realized, even elevated, characters and concepts from the comics.  This movie badly diminishes its two major characters (especially Wanda, but Strange to some degree as well) with one-dimensional and at times nonsensical motivations.

You can really feel the "seams" in the movie as well.  There's a single, super-simple plot arc that the clumsy --script has to march through, and the weird thing is that it doesn't even feel connected to any larger ideas where you could see how they're building "Phase 4."  (In terms of the big picture MCU story, this movie feels like a complete dead end.)  There's also a famous director trying to put his personal stamp on the movie stylistically -- but only part of the time, with the result that the movie ends up very unsure of what exactly it's trying to be.

And the whole Illuminati plot line was one of the absolute dumbest and most disappointing things we've seen in the entire MCU.  If that's their idea of fan service, then please just stop.

This is a perfect assessment of what I thought of the movie.  Great review.

Really enjoyed this movie.

Sam Raimi totally saved this movie from some of the usually cookie cutter Marvel movie to something much MUCH MUCH better.

The actress playing America wasn't so great and Illuminati (written so arrogantly to the point of being stupid) were the weakest moments.

Strong moments were some of the GREAT Amazing battles and ingenious stylistic fight sequences toward the last act. It was a B- movie turned into a B+.

Everyone I watched it with really liked it. We are also big Raimi fans and do understand he can get a bit cheezy at times but here for the most part it worked with the lack lusterscript he had to work with.

6/10 for me.  I really wanted to love it more.  I like Dr Strange and love Wanda, and they were still good here.  This movie was predictable.  It never felt like the stakes were high at any point.  America Chavez was a plot device and not a character. 

Just got back and loved it! Way better than Black Widow. I liked better than spider-man and batman (latest) too. 

Could be because I'm biased to Sam Raimi and Evil Dead Lore.  I also enjoyed all the homages and fan service. This is how I would like to see Dr. Strange, not like a kiddie movie. I think it could be very scary for kids, though. 

I also think non hard core fans were underwhelmed by missing backstory.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 5/7/2022 at 11:37 AM, paperheart said:

$190 million US, $230 million Int'l- way too soon guess but middling multiple gets it to $450 million US, $550 million int'l

gitesh says 450M global launch.  a billion in reach i guess.   if aquaman and cap't marvel can do it, i suppose i see it.  i liked it better than both of them.

On 5/7/2022 at 3:22 AM, chrisco37 said:

Saw it last night.  I thought it sucked.  A couple cool (comics & Evil Dead) fanboy moments but, other than that, just stupidity.  Barely better than SC & Eternals.  Waste of an evening and I will not be watching that one again.  Not really interested in watching more Marvel movies at this point unless they are Spidey movies.  

Don't worry @Larryw7, he just ruined it for real

Hate to say it, but I thought this was easily a bottom 3 MCU movie. 

geez, thats a low blow. You really think only 2 of these - IM2, IM3, Thor 2, Eternals, Captain Marvel, BLACK WIDOW, (off the top of my head) were worse than this?

Well before the halfway point, people could not wait for it to be over.

:shiftyeyes: who are these people? and you can read the minds and body language of a theatre? impressive :devil:

I agree with much of what you said about the plot and Illuminati but I think you are way overboard with your generalizations. Black Widow was mostly just bad. Iron Man whiplash was bad. Those movies are bad movies. This one was fun and pretty good I thought despite its seams showing, they are MCU movies after all. They aren't built to last, but for show. That's my opinion at least. As bad as The Illuminati scenes were I enjoyed them for what they were, cool rocket on Captain Carter, good Captain Marvel battle and such. I expected them to all die or at least become irrelevant anyway. yes that time would have been better well spent but it was a fun popcorn movie.

One of the most sensible reporting sites.

If you saw Avengers: Endgame in a theater, you remember the moment: Thor's hammer flies into the hands of Steve Rogers, Captain America, and the audience proceeds to go well and truly buck-wild.

The reason that particular cheer-triggering callback landed as hard as it did had everything to do with how carefully it had been set up, in the linear progression of MCU films that had gone before. Audiences didn't know they were expecting it, yet they very much were, because the work had been done to lay the track. So when that moment finally arrived, it proceeded to target and overwhelm their brains' pleasure centers with the ruthlessness of sheer, satisfying inevitability.

In the latest MCU film, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, there are lots and lots of similar callbacks and cameos. Makes sense: The plot sends the good Doctor (Benedict Cumberbatch), the Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen) and newcomer America Chavez (Xochitl Gomez) tumbling through a kaleidoscopic series of alternate universes. What they see and experience along the way draws on characters and situations established in past Marvel films and broadcast television shows, in recent and current Disney+ streaming series, and in the fervent speculation of Marvel fans.

But something has changed — irrevocably, it seems.

Not too long ago, the MCU was a straightforward, if noisily busy, progression of narrative events along a single timeline that Marvel Studios executives divided into a series of "phases." Today, the studio churns out films and streaming series in tandem.

As a result, the MCU is now an increasingly diffuse network of content — a universe, like our own, in which everything is expanding outward, its multifarious characters and storylines spinning madly, hurtling away from each other in all directions.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:10 AM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

In 2016, Doctor Strange was a B tier character at best with little awareness among the masses. In 2022, he's opening a film almost 40% higher than Batman.

jjj-laugh.png

85% RT Score for The Batman and Strange opened at 75%. Box office does not automatically equate to a good film. This is not a knock on Strange as I haven’t seen it yet and have no opinion.