• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,729 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2021 at 7:28 PM, 1webslinger said:

Oh Yeah, that's a good deal.  I love mine, totally recommend this at $75.

I shared earlier a comparison of Ross Andru's depiction of the Roosevelt Island Tram from Amazing Spider-Man 162 to the real building, but that picture was from the other end of the line. Here, Ross draws the Punisher and Spider-Man landing on the Roosevelt Island end of the tramway. I found a great photo from 1975 (Ross would have drawn this issue around May 1976) that displays all the small details Ross put into the tramway station building and the Roosevelt Island Power Station. He even drew the stripes on the power plant stacks. I circle the matches in different colors to highlight the effort Ross put into this fondly remembered issue.

Also, since we are on this page, here is a side by side comparison of his original pencils versus the finished panel. Notice how some of the detail of the power plant got hidden behind the letter's box.

This issue (and the one before it) was my first exposure to the X-men.

May be an image of bridge

May be an illustration

On 7/25/2021 at 8:13 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I shared earlier a comparison of Ross Andru's depiction of the Roosevelt Island Tram from Amazing Spider-Man 162 to the real building, but that picture was from the other end of the line. Here, Ross draws the Punisher and Spider-Man landing on the Roosevelt Island end of the tramway. I found a great photo from 1975 (Ross would have drawn this issue around May 1976) that displays all the small details Ross put into the tramway station building and the Roosevelt Island Power Station. He even drew the stripes on the power plant stacks. I circle the matches in different colors to highlight the effort Ross put into this fondly remembered issue.

Also, since we are on this page, here is a side by side comparison of his original pencils versus the finished panel. Notice how some of the detail of the power plant got hidden behind the letter's box.

May be an illustration

This was a very early introduction to the New X-Men for me as well! (This and some Marvel Team-Ups)

Nightcrawler was a strange guy - I couldn't wait to read more about him.
But what's funny is that I think he got much more 'lead time' here than in the X-Men for quite awhile.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:13 AM, Spider-Variant said:

May be an illustration

These things fascinate me

On 7/26/2021 at 6:11 PM, FoggyNelson said:

These things fascinate me

Me too.  (thumbsu

I love that 1975 picture of Roosevelt Island and the Queensboro Bridge.  The Queensboro Bridge was probably the most used real life reference by Ross Andru during his five year run on the Amazing Spider-Man.  In that picture, you can see the UN buildings in the background which Ross put on the splash to ASM 156 and depicted in ASM 182 as well.  Also is the Con-Ed Power Plant on 41st street, again appearing on the ASM 156 splash and in ASM 152.  

Steve sent me this quote from Partners for Life by Dan Best and Mike Esposito in reference to ASM 162. Mike said "Ross took a Polaroid camera and sat in the actual tram and took pictures from every angle. His wife would hold the camera and he'd direct. He spent half the day going back and forth across the river, taking photos." 

Here's another example of Ross Andru's consistency from the lost Spider-Mobile saga. While being chased by the police, Spidey drives his "fiasco" off the end of Pier A in Battery Park in ASM 141. The building that Ross depicted on the pier is currently the Harbor House, but when Ross drew it, the NYFD was using it. Before that, there was a Marine and Aviation division occupying it.

Ross took some artistic liberties (the building structure hasn't changed since at least 1940) when he featured his version of the building. If you look at the clock tower on the actual building, it's to one side of the building, but Ross drew it right down the center in ASM 141. When Spidey goes searching for the car in ASM 157, Ross again puts it right down the center of the building.

Earth shattering stuff? No

Consistency? Most definitely

image.thumb.png.65b98e173e628a7406b7fb223fa2b8d6.png

image.thumb.png.5bcff10a2bb0ec09df15652ae85de9ab.png

On 7/31/2021 at 5:54 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Earth shattering stuff? No

Consistency? Most definitely

Consistently Earth shattering :)

Completely forgot Ross actually drew the black suit Spider-Man.  Not sure why that surprises me, as ASM 252 came out in 1984, eight years before Ross drew this page for the Spider-Man Graphic Novel: Fear Itself.

Probably one of the last few images Ross drew of Spider-Man, before his untimely death in Nov. 1993.

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F5%2F6%2F8%2F24568926%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

According to my old records, I paid the princely sum of £53.70 for the original art of page 28 many moons ago:

28.thumb.jpg.1d84ddbdf0fb4c399384f0b0f2ebfd33.jpg

Oddly, I can't find a picture of it and I can't find a record of when I sold it. I bought it because it was Andru, and because for some reason it was on eBay, and rather cheap I thought, even that long ago. I always thought the work very hurried and slap dash though - certainly the worst Esposito inking I had seen - and the page never really resonated with me, hence the sale. I wish I had kept it now of course.

I recall the line work on Peter in this image was particularly poor:

1097230367_28(2).jpg.a1895439983f5bfe09c8d3a03b1f55f8.jpg

I'll keep looking, to see if I can find it.

On 8/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, ganni said:

@Get Marwood & ISand in the wind..... 

Yep, as we all will be ourselves one day....

Just thought I'd brighten the proceedings there :bigsmile:

On 8/11/2021 at 6:07 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

According to my old records, I paid the princely sum of £53.70 for the original art of page 28 many moons ago:

28.thumb.jpg.1d84ddbdf0fb4c399384f0b0f2ebfd33.jpg

Oddly, I can't find a picture of it and I can't find a record of when I sold it. I bought it because it was Andru, and because for some reason it was on eBay, and rather cheap I thought, even that long ago. I always thought the work very hurried and slap dash though - certainly the worst Esposito inking I had seen - and the page never really resonated with me, hence the sale. I wish I had kept it now of course.

I recall the line work on Peter in this image was particularly poor:

1097230367_28(2).jpg.a1895439983f5bfe09c8d3a03b1f55f8.jpg

I'll keep looking, to see if I can find it.

Steve, I couldn't agree with you more on the hurried and slap dash comment.  I remember picking up this graphic novel in 1992 and thinking it at the time.  I love Ross and Mike, but this book was not their best.  

On 8/11/2021 at 1:18 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Steve, I couldn't agree with you more on the hurried and slap dash comment.  I remember picking up this graphic novel in 1992 and thinking it at the time.  I love Ross and Mike, but this book was not their best.  

Yes - certain panels still show the old pose magic, but overall it looks to me like Mike especially was half asleep. 

On 8/11/2021 at 1:20 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Did you notice the Peter Parker sweater?  

Shhh, you'll wake @Winterboy's daughter up :grin: