• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,729 posts in this topic

Here's another Xerox from the late Dave Hunt from his background inks from Amazing Spider-Man 134.  This is after Ross's pencils, the Letter's work, and Dave's inks.
Ross's storytelling ability is on full display in this character page, as things flow smoothly panel to panel.  Love the facial expressions he used on the main cast, like MJ's in that third panel and Flash's and Pete's in that fifth panel.  
The unsung hero on this book was Dave Hunt, IMHO.  When he left ASM on issue 170, the backgrounds just weren't as detailed.  He added a lot of small touches that were missed after he left.  
Partial note on the original art at the bottom right panel reads "They Look Up To".

Note that Liz Allen had a word balloon that got removed in the final edit of the story.  But not Flash's response to her in the next panel.  Here is a zoomed in view of where the word balloon was going to go, and the arrows to locate the tail of the balloon.

Also notice in the last panel Flash's statement makes no sense "I know you're too stand up against these bozos"

So, here's the Ross Andru Thread Challenge:

1)  Come up with the best response from Liz Allen that Flash agrees with &

2)  Come up with the best response from Flash in the last panel.

Best entries gets the Ross Andru Spider-Man Thread No-Prize and as always, @Get Marwood & I's half eaten Twinkie.

Here are my entries:

Liz "I don't think this is a time to joke MJ, something is really going on up there"

Flash "I know you're too chicken s*&t to stand up against these bozos"

May be a cartoon

May be a cartoon of text that says 'FORGET IT, PETEY-- WE'RE BEING HIJACKED! I CAN SEE NOW, CAN'T YOU, TIGER? "TAKE THIS BOAT TOSAN JUAN.!" IT'S GOT A REAL RING TO IT, HMMM, HANDSOME?'

On 9/8/2021 at 11:02 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Nice work, that's either @Get Marwood & I in his early 70s garb or an Andru inspired Peter Parker.

Careful, or I'll dig out a photo :eek:

On 9/9/2021 at 5:47 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Anyone got the letter's page to Amazing Spider-Man 137?  I want to see if my memory is still where it used to be.

I have a copy with my page, I think. Be back soon Reggie.... 

On 9/9/2021 at 4:00 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I have a copy with my page, I think. Be back soon Reggie.... 

My good person Ganni has got me covered Steve.

I swear I remember some reader pointing out that Flash was responding to the wrong person somewhere in a letter's page, but man I could be full of it.

On 9/9/2021 at 4:41 PM, Spider-Variant said:

My good person Ganni has got me covered Steve.

I swear I remember some reader pointing out that Flash was responding to the wrong person somewhere in a letter's page, but man I could be full of it.

Yes, he beat me to it. The memory can cheat well, I find. It's a wonderful thing, but sometimes a little unreliable. 

On 9/9/2021 at 11:47 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes, he beat me to it. The memory can cheat well, I find. It's a wonderful thing, but sometimes a little unreliable. 

I sold my collections a few years back but I still have the Marvel Masterworks reprints.  It's just hard finding the Letters Page on line for these issues.  

On 9/10/2021 at 12:00 AM, ganni said:

I got time....so 138 it is !

Looking at the old collections ... I was really young when I got into comic books

asm138.jpg

asm138a.jpg

Thanks @ganni, really appreciate it.  I was nine when I started collecting Amazing Spider-Man in late 1975.  

I am going to give myself partial credit, there was some discussion on Flash and Liz, just not what I was remembering.

On 9/10/2021 at 10:17 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I was nine when I started collecting Amazing Spider-Man in late 1975. 

Ha me too,  we have a lot in common I got my first Amazing Spider-Man off the stands in 1975 it was issue #151 with a cover date of Dec. 1975 and I was also nine years old then, and I was hooked on ASM.  Great thread Reggie I really enjoy reading it, Thanks :cool: 

On 9/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, cosmic-spider-man said:

Ha me too,  we have a lot in common I got my first Amazing Spider-Man off the stands in 1975 it was issue #151 with a cover date of Dec. 1975 and I was also nine years old then, and I was hooked on ASM.  Great thread Reggie I really enjoy reading it, Thanks :cool: 

OH MY!  What a great surprise.  The Amazing Cosmic Spider-Man has dropped by.   (worship)

Hi Terry, really nice to hear from you, it's been years.

On 8/14/2021 at 4:43 PM, Spider-Variant said:

For years the width of the spaces between the escalator stairs stood out to me in this double page splash by Ross.  "Ross, you made them too wide" I said to myself.  Those don't look like any escalators I have ever seen.

Why did Ross draw them that way, I must have wondered?  Well, that's how they were in the real NY Coliseum.  (Yes, I know I have posted this one before, but upon finding that pic of the original art, it came back to mind.)

image.thumb.png.67d48d3b3001a4574e3c5921190f0807.png

I love escalators, they are becoming few and far between

Here is another Xerox image from Dave Hunt, who with this issue (ASM 127) started doing the background inks over Ross Andru's pencils.  
Peter Parker tries to console a distressed MJ, as she has just witnessed a murder.  Peter's mood quickly changes as MJ explains she can't go forward and identify the killer, who we later learn is the Vulture, um, but not that Vulture.

Again, I think Ross does a great job capturing the characters' facial expressions and reactions.

I typically really enjoy Frank Giacoia's inks (who did the finished inks here) over Ross's pencils, but on this page, I actually think Ross's original pencils were better than the finished published page portrayed.  Like it lost just a little detail.  Example look at Ross's original pencils on Pete's hair in that fourth panel, Frank eliminates the little curl.

Who was your favorite inker over Mr. Andru's pencils?

I think Frank was my favorite regular ASM inker.  Tom Palmer did some great work over on Doc Savage with Ross.  John Romita and Ross also did a couple of issues (125 and 151) of ASM together, that looked pretty nice.

May be a cartoon of 1 person

May be an illustration of 3 people