• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2021 at 2:13 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Not sure how that was decided Steve, but here is a joint example, in my opinion, and a bad one at that.

Amazing Spider-Man 146 lists the inkers as John Romita and the Gang.  I can't recall and am to lazy to look up who the Gang were, but this rivals some of the MTUs with Spidey and Iron Man as being bad.

If Romita inked that Spider-Man in that last panel, he did it with his left hand and one eye closed.  That's 100% the Gang there.

vQMwlyWrdThH-N_X_KzOCNe-DTEYCFH1-AqhWBCRyp5EHgheX-Juqf0hMIQh508981_n7HtJUoR1=s1600

Scorpion always gives Spidey a good storyline

On 9/20/2021 at 7:10 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Scorpion always gives Spidey a good storyline

I agree Foggy.  ASM 145 was really the first issue I remember having read, with issue 153 being the one that started my collection.  Scorpion was strong enough to more than hold his own against Spider-Man and he started going the direction of being slightly crazy, so it made it more interesting too.  

On 9/20/2021 at 10:18 PM, ganni said:

1975 was a bad time for buying comics.  Comics were "slash" even its a new issue..???

Just like this copy:  Its brand new, not a second hand back issue copy. But what happen to the cover???

asm140b.jpg

That my friend looks most definitely like an unsold copy that the vendor was supposed to cut off the top and mail the cut off portion back to Marvel for a refund, or credit, etc. not 100% sure exactly how it worked.  But the comic itself was supposed to be destroyed.  No need to ship the whole comic back, just cut the mast head off, destroy the book..  Remember, this was before the time of direct sales.  So, 500,000 copies may have been produced, but any unsold copies got this treatment.  Note, before this, they ripped off the entire cover.

That's what it looks like to me, but I haven't researched this topic in years.

https://rarecomics.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/comic-book-newsstand-editions-understanding-the-difference/

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 9/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, Winterboy said:

I love this page.^^

1 andru.jpg

At first glance, the left panel in the window, I thought the woman was using a "computer."

I supposed wrong, but initially was thinking that was ahead of the "times." I suppose at a glance a typewriter DOES look like a laptop or old timey commadore lol 

Great page!

On 9/21/2021 at 8:13 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I thought that perhaps Ross used some real life references on this page, but I couldn't find any.

I do see that Dave Hunt inked the backgrounds, as he left two indications.

Anyone else see them?

Yup

On 9/21/2021 at 1:13 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I thought that perhaps Ross used some real life references on this page, but I couldn't find any.

I do see that Dave Hunt inked the backgrounds, as he left two indications.

Anyone else see them?

Top of first panel?
annnd... double XX on 2nd panel?

On 9/21/2021 at 5:32 PM, HighVoltage said:

Top of first panel?
annnd... double XX on 2nd panel?

Yes and Yes.  I always loved the Backgrounds by Hunt snuck into the pages.

As usual, your Ross Andru thread No-Prize is in the mail, as well as @Get Marwood & I's half-eaten Twinkie from 1976.

image.png.e6db23c8fcea38508648fa3235fad1ea.png

Edited by Spider-Variant

On 9/22/2021 at 12:54 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I always loved the Backgrounds by Hunt snuck into the pages

I didn’t know about the XXs until you pointed it out in this thread a few months ago, it adds a bit of fun looking for them. I still have it in mind to make a note of all the “backgrounds by Mortellaro”I’ve started re-reading essential Spider-Man so when I get to the Romita issues I’ll grab a pen and paper. 

On 9/22/2021 at 2:29 AM, Garystar said:

I didn’t know about the XXs until you pointed it out in this thread a few months ago, it adds a bit of fun looking for them. I still have it in mind to make a note of all the “backgrounds by Mortellaro”I’ve started re-reading essential Spider-Man so when I get to the Romita issues I’ll grab a pen and paper. 

I started a list sometime back, but put it on hold.  I do have one for all of Dave's references, if anyone wants to see it.

On 9/29/2021 at 7:40 PM, Spider-Variant said:

How about a game of name that panel?  Or maybe just name where that panel appeared?  Here's a cool panel by Ross.  Love this view.

image.png.a6fb0cf7b339297f4173b48a1e31e0e1.png

It's not a panel that I instantly recognise, as I do with many of Andru's, having read them so many times. No point cheating. Is it from the Superman treasury? It looks 'well done' enough to be, if that makes sense. 

On 9/30/2021 at 2:51 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's not a panel that I instantly recognise, as I do with many of Andru's, having read them so many times. No point cheating. Is it from the Superman treasury? It looks 'well done' enough to be, if that makes sense. 

:applause::applause::applause: Will wonders never cease ? And here is Spider-man with the prizes !!!

ht1a.jpg

On 9/30/2021 at 2:51 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

You are correct Steve!  I'll post the page when I get a free moment.  

I does look "well done", like many panels of the Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man treasury-sized story.

I probably wouldn't have recognized it right away either but would have deduced its origins like you did.