• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,729 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2021 at 7:50 AM, HighVoltage said:

I always loved that mini-copter!!

Me too

How do we think joint inking actually went down then, practically? Did Mooney ink one page and DeZuniga the next? Has anyone been able to spot the joins, if so? Mooney eyes, DeZuniga nose.... I can't imagine them sitting at the same desk arguing. "I want to do that panel" "No, I want to do that panel"

On 9/15/2021 at 8:33 PM, Spider-Variant said:

The Magic 8 Ball says "Most Definitely".  :wink:

I'm I the only one here who's never heard of the magic bloody eight ball? lol

On 9/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, Get Marwood & I said:
On 9/15/2021 at 2:33 PM, Spider-Variant said:

The Magic 8 Ball says "Most Definitely".  :wink:

I'm I the only one here who's never heard of the magic bloody eight ball? lol

magic-8-ball-2.jpg?fit=686,422

On 9/15/2021 at 4:05 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Such a wasted youth.  

I never bought one and or always considered them novelty, as the answers were among 3 choices, and lol etc

On 9/15/2021 at 4:08 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

A British one....:insane:

That's something completely different! :headbang:

On 9/15/2021 at 10:14 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Exactly, lol.  :baiting:

:cloud9:

On 9/15/2021 at 10:15 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's something completely different! :headbang:

:cloud9:

On 9/14/2021 at 10:56 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Great discussion @Get Marwood & I.

Hey @ADAMANTIUM , @Winterboy, @ganni, @FoggyNelson, @piper, @HighVoltage , @MattTheDuck@cosmic-spider-man       same question to you (and any others that want to opine),

Who was your favorite inker over Mr. Andru's pencils?

Giacola for me. That said, I like Esposito’s inks on Andru’s non Spidey stuff a lot.

On 9/14/2021 at 12:56 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Great discussion @Get Marwood & I.

Hey @ADAMANTIUM , @Winterboy, @ganni, @FoggyNelson, @piper, @HighVoltage , @MattTheDuck@cosmic-spider-man       same question to you (and any others that want to opine),

Who was your favorite inker over Mr. Andru's pencils?

No preference, especially when I was buying those issues off the rack I didn’t really know any difference about inkers

On 9/14/2021 at 6:09 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

I can't make my mind up Reggie. I like some aspects of most of them if I'm honest. Even Tony DeZuniga who was sometimes excellent, sometimes hurried. Compare some of the Peters to some of the Flashes in #176. You can't say Romita, because Romita 'Romita'd' everything he did. At a push, I'd go for Esposito when he was at his best. He did the eyes right. Hunt & Giacoia not far behind.

Andru was the star though. Even when his work was badly inked you could still see the genius. 

Here is that Andru DeZuniga Jonah Hex original art page.  For me, this works really well.  It's gritty and scraggly.  That's a western comic.

I didn't care for Andru and DeZuniga on Amazing Spider-Man though.  

Ross Andru Tony DeZuniga Jonah Hex 57 Original Art

On 9/15/2021 at 5:23 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Me too

How do we think joint inking actually went down then, practically? Did Mooney ink one page and DeZuniga the next? Has anyone been able to spot the joins, if so? Mooney eyes, DeZuniga nose.... I can't imagine them sitting at the same desk arguing. "I want to do that panel" "No, I want to do that panel"

Not sure how that was decided Steve, but here is a joint example, in my opinion, and a bad one at that.

Amazing Spider-Man 146 lists the inkers as John Romita and the Gang.  I can't recall and am to lazy to look up who the Gang were, but this rivals some of the MTUs with Spidey and Iron Man as being bad.

If Romita inked that Spider-Man in that last panel, he did it with his left hand and one eye closed.  That's 100% the Gang there.

vQMwlyWrdThH-N_X_KzOCNe-DTEYCFH1-AqhWBCRyp5EHgheX-Juqf0hMIQh508981_n7HtJUoR1=s1600

On 9/19/2021 at 7:07 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Here is that Andru DeZuniga Jonah Hex original art page.  For me, this works really well.  It's gritty and scraggly.  That's a western comic.

It looks alright doesn't it, Reggie. I quite like it. 

On 9/19/2021 at 7:13 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Not sure how that was decided Steve, but here is a joint example, in my opinion, and a bad one at that.

Amazing Spider-Man 146 lists the inkers as John Romita and the Gang.  I can't recall and am to lazy to look up who the Gang were, but this rivals some of the MTUs with Spidey and Iron Man as being bad.

If Romita inked that Spider-Man in that last panel, he did it with his left hand and one eye closed.  That's 100% the Gang there.

Yes. And it looks like the cleaner was part of it.