• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2021 at 4:49 AM, ganni said:

A Ross Andru key issue ...for me:cloud9:

asm206.jpg

Did you post the wrong book Ganni, bearing in mind the thread title?

Each to his own, but I've always intensely disliked that cover. Blue zig zag jumper indeed.....

On 10/11/2021 at 3:26 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Did you post the wrong book Ganni, bearing in mind the thread title?

Each to his own, but I've always intensely disliked that cover. Blue zig zag jumper indeed.....

Maybe he was following my poor lead, as I had posted a non-Andru cover as well.

I'll take the heat on this and try not to stray going forward.  :whistle:

Agree Steve, not a great cover IMHO.  For a long time (no idea about today's books), there were only a handful of covers that featured Peter Parker and not Spider-Man.  Not sure I liked any of them.

On 10/11/2021 at 8:55 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Agree Steve, not a great cover IMHO.  For a long time (no idea about today's books), there were only a handful of covers that featured Peter Parker and not Spider-Man.  Not sure I liked any of them.

Ganni knows his stuff. He badged it an Andu key issue. Maybe there's something we're missing Reggie. Or he was taking the mickey. 

I don't like Milgrom's art. Lifeless, pedestrian and completely unremarkable. I've no idea why he got to work on Spidey. And the spilt Parker/Spidey face used to get on my nerves. Like we had to be reminded.

On 10/11/2021 at 4:55 PM, Spider-Variant said:

You dont read current comics?

Glad to know l'm not alone.🙂

On 10/11/2021 at 4:15 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Ganni knows his stuff. He badged it an Andu key issue. Maybe there's something we're missing Reggie. Or he was taking the mickey. 

I don't like Milgrom's art. Lifeless, pedestrian and completely unremarkable. I've no idea why he got to work on Spidey. And the spilt Parker/Spidey face used to get on my nerves. Like we had to be reminded.

My bronze age really ended with Spider-Man 185.  Everything after that seemed more cartoony.  I did like JR Jr. first run on Amazing, which probably kept me in the hobby for a longer time.  My interest waned again until McFarlane picked up the book, then I was determined to get the entire run.  I bought Amazing Fantasy 15 in 1992 for $1700.  I knew if I didn't pull the trigger then, I would never own it.

This thread needs some new material.

Ok, how about a few examples of Ross's real life ASM references that carried over to his work after he left.

Here is one I found today.   USS Maine Monument, Central Park, NYC

Which do you like better?  I actually think that Vigilante panel has more detail.

image.thumb.png.357d93feac1654f3c2ae3312959dc16b.png

image.png.c1fa068c1ae362daac6ffc8012a5fb8c.png

On 10/13/2021 at 1:25 AM, ganni said:

His legacy will live on as one of the most significant artists of his or any other generation....:cloud9:

mtu68b.jpg

I applaud the sentiment Ganni, but the reality is that his name rarely features in any lists discussing the greatest. His work is underrated, I think, especially in respect of how he used the real world as his backdrop, but for me his legacy is just that he was doing Spidey when it mattered the most to me, and in a manner that perfectly suited the medium as it was, at its very best time. Comics today are technically superior in almost every respect. But they lack charm. They lack innocence. They lack consistency. And with their relentless reboots, variants, title over production, high cover prices and lack of high street availability, they have become virtually uncollectable. 

We lived through the golden age though, didn't we.