• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ross Andru's Amazing Spider-Man Club
9 9

2,725 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2021 at 2:23 PM, Spider-Variant said:

You are correct Steve!  I'll post the page when I get a free moment.  

I does look "well done", like many panels of the Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man treasury-sized story.

I probably wouldn't have recognized it right away either but would have deduced its origins like you did.

We did say earlier in the thread, didn't we, how it was their best work - they upped the ante on every page making even the least memorable image sort of stand out. It's funny how you can decipher things that way. I always remember as a teen, turning the radio on and catching the end of a song that I had never heard before. Just the fade out of the guitars. I knew instinctively that it was Squeeze (it was the b-side of Labelled With Love). The DJ said "And that was Squeeze...." and I felt very smug and pleased with myself. Squeeze were unique - no one sounds like them - and Ross was unique. You can tell his art anywhere and, in this case, you can even tell when he put a 'proper' job in. 

On 9/30/2021 at 9:41 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

We did say earlier in the thread, didn't we, how it was their best work - they upped the ante on every page making even the least memorable image sort of stand out. It's funny how you can decipher things that way. I always remember as a teen, turning the radio on and catching the end of a song that I had never heard before. Just the fade out of the guitars. I knew instinctively that it was Squeeze (it was the b-side of Labelled With Love). The DJ said "And that was Squeeze...." and I felt very smug and pleased with myself. Squeeze were unique - no one sounds like them - and Ross was unique. You can tell his art anywhere and, in this case, you can even tell when he put a 'proper' job in. 

That was a great analogy Steve and totally captures it.

I must say, I really like Giordano's inks over Ross's pencils.  Great choice for that book.

ROSS ANDRU SUPERMAN VS. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN PAGE (1976, BATTLE PAGE FROM HISTORIC 1ST MARVEL /DC Crossover ) Comic Art

On 9/30/2021 at 10:58 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Don't that page look great Reggie, it's massive on my screen :cloud9:

I never bought Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man off the stands.  I remember looking for that book in 1976 at a Rexall Drug store, with no success.

On 9/30/2021 at 7:02 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I never bought Superman vs the Amazing Spider-Man off the stands.  I remember looking for that book in 1976 at a Rexall Drug store, with no success.

Me neither. I read that very late in the day as it goes. 

On 9/30/2021 at 3:52 AM, ganni said:

:applause::applause::applause: Will wonders never cease ? And here is Spider-man with the prizes !!!

ht1a.jpg

Those Twinkie ads were like a mini comic 👍‼️😷which was cool a long time ago when there was only a couple spidey comics, I used to like the daily comic strip too👍

On 9/20/2021 at 10:18 PM, ganni said:

1975 was a bad time for buying comics.  Comics were "slash" even its a new issue..???

Just like this copy:  Its brand new, not a second hand back issue copy. But what happen to the cover???

asm140b.jpg

CGC 1.5 cond😁🤣😂

On 10/2/2021 at 3:42 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

If Flash stood up straight and extended his right arm here, would it touch his knee? hm

176mji.thumb.jpg.766dad22888703a61ead4e2e05de73ad.jpg

And has Spidey's right leg withered?

"You!?! What have you done to Flash Thompson?"

"I've extended his right arm using a section of your right leg"

"Oh, right"

"Yes, the right leg, that's what I said"

That's a tangled web! That costs an arm and a leg. :insane:

:tink:

On 10/8/2021 at 10:32 AM, HighVoltage said:

Since this Andru thread started, I just call this one the 'HOUSE' issue now...

I dissected that issue so much, I'm not sure I can even open it any more, lol.  :tonofbricks:

I think the fact that it was set in the town that Ross was living during that timespan really drew me in.

My entire life I thought Ross created this creepy, decrepit area to set his ASM 138 story in, never knowing it was his own backyard (ok, a mile away, but who's measuring).

I knew though that when I found the fact about it being a real house, that I had to find a picture of it. 

On 10/8/2021 at 11:09 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I dissected that issue so much, I'm not sure I can even open it any more, lol.  :tonofbricks:

I think the fact that it was set in the town that Ross was living during that timespan really drew me in.

My entire life I thought Ross created this creepy, decrepit area to set his ASM 138 story in, never knowing it was his own backyard (ok, a mile away, but who's measuring).

I knew though that when I found the fact about it being a real house, that I had to find a picture of it. 

I used to not really like ASM 138. But this thread and your research into Ross' work and references has really elevated my appreciation for his run on Spidey.
I always liked his style on the book, but as a young reader, I never truly appreciated how much he put into the book. And I didn't discern the differences between the inkers as much.

But 138 has a much, much greater appreciation now, and I've combed back through some of Ross' run on Spidey, savoring the pages with a new eye.

Thank you for this.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:02 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I got the 2nd one (was it '80 or '81 ?) from my local tuck shop off the stand, but the first one was just before my awareness of comics started . I did purchase it as a companion to my bought one years later, of course

Edited by fishbone

On 10/8/2021 at 5:32 PM, fishbone said:

I got the 2nd one (was it '80 or '81 ?) from my local tuck shop off the stand, but the first one was just before my awareness of comics started . I did purchase it as a companion to my bought one years later, of course

Yes, I remember buying the second off the stands, but it wasn't as good as the first, IMHO.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:31 PM, fishbone said:

late 170's issues is where my ground floor for collecting comics was, as an 11-year old.....This run to about issue 225 is very special to me.

Yes, I think I lost some interest after Ross left but I do remember getting excited again with those early John Romita, Jr. issues.  

Man, it's not Ross, but I really loved this cover.

HBKIBo4GcYIi3zYM-1W30H02GbtqNTok7UdlYvg61LWJrZrryUxFImKkrQR31ILG8BQu3usI1sGY=s1600