• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

429 posts in this topic

:bump:

Figured this would be an appropriate time to revive this thread considering I noticed last night that the current CC Event Auction has this book finishing up later today:  :cloud9:  

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/1033309

fam1.1476.jpg

Currently sitting at only $20K without the 15% BP juice and my bet is that it will have no problems surpassing $30K and possibly even approach, if not allso surpass $40K.  Especially considering that it is tied with 2 others for the highest graded copy to date and the fact that this is acknowledged by many to be their favorite of the classic Frazetta Famous Funnies covers.  :luhv:

Heck, even the less popular Famous Funnies 212 in CGC 9.0 was able to fetched $30K in a Heritage Auction last summer, so this much more in demand cover should have no problems rocketing even further up into the stratosphere by the time the final 3-minute extended bidding comes to an end.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

On 3/19/2024 at 5:04 PM, lou_fine said:

Figured this would be an appropriate time to revive this thread considering I noticed last night that the current CC Event Auction has this book finishing up later today:  :cloud9:  

fam1.1476.jpg

Currently sitting at only $20K without the 15% BP juice and my bet is that it will have no problems surpassing $30K and possibly even approach, if not allso surpass $40K.  Especially considering that it is tied with 2 others for the highest graded copy to date and the fact that this is acknowledged by many to be their favorite of the classic Frazetta Famous Funnies covers.  :luhv:

Heck, even the less popular Famous Funnies 212 in CGC 9.0 was able to fetched $30K in a Heritage Auction last summer, so this much more in demand cover should have no problems rocketing even further up into the stratosphere by the time the final 3-minute extended bidding comes to an end.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

Don’t forget the dripping reds. 

On 3/19/2024 at 5:04 PM, lou_fine said:

fam1.1476.jpg

Dream book! :cloud9: Auction finished north of $31K, with juice, taxes, shipping etc, you're looking at around $33K to get this it in hand [EDITED to account for 15% buyer premium already included in the $31,165 price]. I did expect this book to reach above $40K...perhaps in a more favorable economic climate, it would have?

I should have upgraded my 2.5 already :tonofbricks:. At least I can take solace in the perception that mine presents nicely for the grade :x

0F7B63EC-A8A0-48E6-9EA8-3A84F2DE0A1B.jpg

Edited by Landerian
edited based on the 15% buyers premium already being included in the price on ComicConnect.

On 3/19/2024 at 11:21 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Happy to have this copy in the collection. I don’t see pedigree copies of this come up often. 

IMG_7078.jpeg

Beauty, and white pages! Not sure if I've seen another pedigree of this book...at least not still in the slab. Well done!

On 3/20/2024 at 7:00 AM, Landerian said:

Dream book! :cloud9: Hammer finished north of $31K, with juice, taxes, shipping etc, you're looking at probably around $38K to get this it in hand. I did expect this book to reach above $40K...perhaps in a more favorable economic climate, it would have?

I should have upgraded my 2.5 already :tonofbricks:. At least I can take solace in the perception that mine presents nicely for the grade :x

0F7B63EC-A8A0-48E6-9EA8-3A84F2DE0A1B.jpg

The final price including the 15% buyers premium was $31,165. 

On 3/20/2024 at 10:34 AM, Inaflash said:

The final price including the 15% buyers premium was $31,165. 

Thanks for the correction, my good sir! I have yet to bid with Comic Connect, so wasn't sure if it was added immediately because the addition of the 15% buyers premium comment is still present in the listing.

On 3/20/2024 at 7:48 AM, Landerian said:

Thanks for the correction, my good sir! I have yet to bid with Comic Connect, so wasn't sure if it was added immediately because the addition of the 15% buyers premium comment is still present in the listing.

It is a bit confusing. I only know because I watched the auction close.

I bid on a CGC 2.5 #210 last weekend on a HipComic auction and it only went for $799. Seems low compared to slightly better books that sold in January for significantly more. But not low enough that I was going to bite on it. A 5.0 214 went for close to $4K which is significantly below a similar copy from Feb 2023 but still on par or above prices from 3 or 4 years ago. A lot of books in this auction underperformed so some of it may have been the venue. But probably some price deflation here as well.  

On 3/20/2024 at 7:40 PM, Ian Winner said:

I bid on a CGC 2.5 #210 last weekend on a HipComic auction and it only went for $799. Seems low compared to slightly better books that sold in January for significantly more. But not low enough that I was going to bite on it. A 5.0 214 went for close to $4K which is significantly below a similar copy from Feb 2023 but still on par or above prices from 3 or 4 years ago. A lot of books in this auction underperformed so some of it may have been the venue. But probably some price deflation here as well.  

Do you have the link for the 214?

On 3/20/2024 at 7:00 AM, Landerian said:

Dream book! :cloud9: Auction finished north of $31K, with juice, taxes, shipping etc, you're looking at around $33K to get this it in hand [EDITED to account for 15% buyer premium already included in the $31,165 price]. I did expect this book to reach above $40K...perhaps in a more favorable economic climate, it would have?

Yes, agree with you that this copy went for a bit lower than I had expected since I thought it would have hammer in the low $30K's which would have brought it up into the mid-$30k's.  Instead, it hammered at only a $27,100 plus the 15% BP juice which brought it in at $31,165 or just a tad higher than what a CGC 9.0 copy of the not quite as classic Frazetta Famous Funnies 212 managed to get last year.  :frown:

Maybe it's a sign of a slight cooling in the frenetic Frazetta frenzy that we had been experiencing the past couple of years, especially considering the number of copies coming into the marketplace during the past few years, albeit not in this type of condition.  (shrug)