• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Frazetta's Famous Funnies #209 - #216
12 12

429 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2023 at 10:20 PM, WolverineX said:

Nice, thank you.  Had to get some Frazetta horror.  Plus, I think this book was in SOTI for a hanging panel. 

Awesome grab, love me some Beware #10!

But there's some confusion/misinformation about this book being referenced in SOTI. I believe Beware #12 from Youthful's first 1952 run is referenced, and also Beware #6 from Youthful/Trojan's second run in 1953, but not Beware #10 from that second run. I'm open to be corrected on this as I'm not a SOTI expert . Still an awesome book inside and out, classic pre-code horror with a fantastic red dressed Frazetta girl being pulled down into a cold grave by dirty zombies!

On 5/9/2023 at 8:14 AM, Landerian said:

Awesome grab, love me some Beware #10!

But there's some confusion/misinformation about this book being referenced in SOTI. I believe Beware #12 from Youthful's first 1952 run is referenced, and also Beware #6 from Youthful/Trojan's second run in 1953, but not Beware #10 from that second run. I'm open to be corrected on this as I'm not a SOTI expert . Still an awesome book inside and out, classic pre-code horror with a fantastic red dressed Frazetta girl being pulled down into a cold grave by dirty zombies!

Yes, I don’t believe #10 is a SOTI book. Anybody, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. @SOTIcollector

On 5/1/2023 at 7:53 PM, WolverineX said:

With that date,  I guess Beware 10 came out right between FF212 and FF213 nearing his peak of that run....

Unfortunately, as a favor he let Sid Check ink it.

Thought this copy here might have had a chance of hitting over the $3K threshold mark, but looks like it still came in pretty close at $2,880:  :applause:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/science-fiction/famous-funnies-212-eastern-color-1954-cgc-vg-40-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122324-13076.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Science Fiction, Famous Funnies #212 (Eastern Color, 1954) CGC VG 4.0 Off-white to white pages....

Still, a very strong price considering that it took higher graded CGC 5.5 and 6.0 graded copies to hit over the $3K mark during the pandemic bubble of 2021 and this $2,880 price point for this nicely presenting copy was clearly higher than the $1,020 and $1,440 that a CGC 2.5 and CBCS 3.0 graded copies respectively were able to fetched earlier this year.  (thumbsu

Don't know if it's sad or happy to say that there's clearly no slowdown in these Frazetta Famous Funnies books with these results here.  (shrug)

If I am correct, I believe that this is the first time that one of them has hit the $30K threshold (i.e the CGC 9.0 graded copy of FF 212) and also the first time that the much more readily available and more common FF 209 has managed to even come close to hitting 5-figures, let alone cross the $20K threshold level. :whatthe: 

On 6/22/2023 at 2:16 PM, lou_fine said:

more common FF 209 has managed to even come close to hitting 5-figures, let alone cross the $20K threshold level.

Ehh.  Looks like the 209 Beth copy tanked on the flip.  The sky is falling, guys.  Better sell me your 9.0+ copies before they hit $0.  I'll pay $500 each.  :cool:

FF209 CGC96 Beth.jpg

On 7/17/2023 at 6:12 PM, RareHighGrade said:

:whatthe:  Further proof why books like that should be sold through one of the auction houses rather than Ebay.  That was a fire sale.  Had it simply been listed here on the Boards it would have gone for much more.

If you look closely at the seller's "feedback" rating, it states "0".  I am fairly certain that people avoided any bidding because it is a scam.  It would be unfortunate to be in that position of having to file a grievance (or whatever that process is) when the book never arrives.  On the other hand, it would definitely be worth the "risk" if the seller is legit!

On 7/17/2023 at 8:12 PM, RareHighGrade said:

:whatthe:  Further proof why books like that should be sold through one of the auction houses rather than Ebay.  That was a fire sale.  Had it simply been listed here on the Boards it would have gone for much more.

Peter, I'm CERTAIN this was a bogus auction. Seller registered July 6th 2023, zero feedback and no other auction listings! I mean, it IS within the realm of possibility that it was real, but all things point to it smelling funny. If legit, the lack of seller credentials made it sell cheap.

I saw a 5.0 CGC Famous Funnies #209 sell on MCS a couple of days ago for around $900.  I can't tell if they got a steal or prices are trying to reset.  A lot of those mid and lower grade prices in that issue are basically the same.  Lots of price compression in them.

Edited by Telegan