• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,150 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2024 at 8:49 AM, CentaurMan said:

Thank you!  7x my original purchase price, and >$100k more than the highest private offer I had gotten for the book.  I am definitely pleased.

In terms of letting it go... 26 years ago, in 1998, for the first time in my life I paid four figures ($1000+) for a comic book (a raw restored More Fun 54, on eBay, sold this past weekend at Heritage).  I was SO NERVOUS for its arrival, hoping that the shipping would be ok, that it was as-advertised, etc.  While I had been collecting books since the 1970's, the advent of the internet finally made it possible for me to truly "collect", as opposed to just buy what I could find in random back issue shops around the country.

Over the next 20 years I went all-in on pre-1941 comics (basically, the hardest-to-find stuff), with a focus on scarcity.  I wanted books where money was irrelevant; the copies were next-to-impossible to find.  I supplemented that with a love for pre-1941 Church and Larson books.  I assembled a full run of Centaurs, pre-Batman Detectives, pre-Green Lantern All-Americans, pre-Sandman Adventures, pre-Spectre More Funs, etc., and met hundreds of amazing people.

One of these people was John Verzyl, and like he did with everyone, he spent countless hours with me talking comics.  His passion for the hobby dovetailed perfectly with my own.  Our one difference was that he was grade-obsessed and while I liked raw books and cracked every slab I bought.  Regardless, though, his untimely death occurred at around the same time that I had "completed" essentially every run that I had been interested in pursuing, while the hobby's focus on grade-maximization techniques was proving off-putting to me.  I haven't purchased any new books in years (except for copies of Blue Ribbon Comics #7, my favorite Golden Age cover), and I had lost one of my favorite collecting friends.

Fast forward to today: My youngest daughter just graduated from high school, leaving us empty nesters, while my job moved from Chicago to Columbus, putting me on the road for business travel 120+ nights per year.  I really don't like the idea of leaving a million dollar collection in my closet at home while no one is there for potentially weeks on end, and I've been expanding my real estate portfolio towards Ohio (I own a bunch of multi-family apartments west of Chicago, but am now in the process of buying a commercial building in Columbus where I can open a craft cocktail bar with some friends of mine here, with apartments upstairs where I can live myself).  As such, the time felt right to let other people enjoy the books that I own, instead of just stashing them away somewhere that they wouldn't see the light of day.

Thanks for the background on your decision to pass your beauties to a new round of collectors.  Hopefully you stay active on the boards and let us know when you open your cocktail bar.  Me and my son may take a road trip for a visit !  

On 6/26/2024 at 9:49 AM, CentaurMan said:

Thank you!  7x my original purchase price, and >$100k more than the highest private offer I had gotten for the book.  I am definitely pleased.

In terms of letting it go... 26 years ago, in 1998, for the first time in my life I paid four figures ($1000+) for a comic book (a raw restored More Fun 54, on eBay, sold this past weekend at Heritage).  I was SO NERVOUS for its arrival, hoping that the shipping would be ok, that it was as-advertised, etc.  While I had been collecting books since the 1970's, the advent of the internet finally made it possible for me to truly "collect", as opposed to just buy what I could find in random back issue shops around the country.

Over the next 20 years I went all-in on pre-1941 comics (basically, the hardest-to-find stuff), with a focus on scarcity.  I wanted books where money was irrelevant; the copies were next-to-impossible to find.  I supplemented that with a love for pre-1941 Church and Larson books.  I assembled a full run of Centaurs, pre-Batman Detectives, pre-Green Lantern All-Americans, pre-Sandman Adventures, pre-Spectre More Funs, etc., and met hundreds of amazing people.

One of these people was John Verzyl, and like he did with everyone, he spent countless hours with me talking comics.  His passion for the hobby dovetailed perfectly with my own.  Our one difference was that he was grade-obsessed and while I liked raw books and cracked every slab I bought.  Regardless, though, his untimely death occurred at around the same time that I had "completed" essentially every run that I had been interested in pursuing, while the hobby's focus on grade-maximization techniques was proving off-putting to me.  I haven't purchased any new books in years (except for copies of Blue Ribbon Comics #7, my favorite Golden Age cover), and I had lost one of my favorite collecting friends.

Fast forward to today: My youngest daughter just graduated from high school, leaving us empty nesters, while my job moved from Chicago to Columbus, putting me on the road for business travel 120+ nights per year.  I really don't like the idea of leaving a million dollar collection in my closet at home while no one is there for potentially weeks on end, and I've been expanding my real estate portfolio towards Ohio (I own a bunch of multi-family apartments west of Chicago, but am now in the process of buying a commercial building in Columbus where I can open a craft cocktail bar with some friends of mine here, with apartments upstairs where I can live myself).  As such, the time felt right to let other people enjoy the books that I own, instead of just stashing them away somewhere that they wouldn't see the light of day.

I wasn’t able to watch the ending on your book. Were there fireworks during extended bidding?  (hey I’m from Upper Arlington myself. Columbus is a fine town, IMO)

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 6/26/2024 at 11:21 AM, october said:

Congrats on the sales, Win. I'm glad you are happy with the results. Going through your collection and talking with you taught me a ton about Golden Age (and restoration).

I'd say I'm sorry I won't have the opportunity to flip through that Action 1 again, but I was too nervous to do it in the first place. :p

Our hands don't get less shaky as time marches on. :bigsmile: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/26/2024 at 11:27 AM, october said:

Oh, no doubt. If I'd skipped breakfast that day Kenny would've been reattaching an Action 1 cover. 

Kenny :cloud9: 

He was going to seal a spine split on my Black Rider Rides Again #1 that was signed by Jack AND Roz ... and then in a moment of compassion, I gifted it to a pal who needed one. I had 3 copies then, zero now. I miss it. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 6/25/2024 at 11:05 PM, CentaurMan said:

So anyway, as a few you may know, that was my Action #1.  The same comic that many, many boardies have flipped through and taken pictures with at the CGC Chicago dinners over the years.  It presents really nicely, and I hope whoever purchased it cracks it out of that slab and enjoys sharing it as much as I did.

I remember that book well, the only Action 1 I ever "flipped through" ...my husband almost passed out when  you gave  it to him to look at. I just asked, he still remembers. So glad you did well on it :foryou:

On 6/26/2024 at 8:49 AM, CentaurMan said:

Can I get free drinks when I come out for Buckeye games? 

On 6/27/2024 at 7:36 AM, ThothAmon said:

Interesting that the other three results were strong?  My guess is the 38 had a bigger irrationally exuberant run up the last few years. 

Most GA collectors that I know hate Robin and would rather shred a Tec 38 than buy one; Robin does have his fans among the Teen Titans generation, though.