• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,092 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2024 at 1:22 PM, szav said:

Looks sorta unexceptional but does it break a million?  My guess would be yes. 

Are you joking? I mean that sincerly. 9.8's are selling for between 22 and 30k. It'll probably top 100k but I'd be real surprised if it topped 200. 

I think it's valued between $200k-$250k. I'd be shocked if it went for more.  If I had the money, i wouldn't want to pay that price for a GSX #1. There might be more 9.9's coming out sooner rather than later and will definitely decrease the value of the first 9.9 that was graded.  Too much of a gamble, but to each their own.

On 3/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, szav said:

The IH 181 cgc 9.9 went for 150k at a time when 9.8s were going for less than 10k.  I can’t see this going for less than 500.  Not in this day and age.  

Not saying it’s worth that to me, but I’d be floored to see it go for less than 200.

in 2011 when the Hulk #181 sold prices were on their way down to $10K (from a peak of around $15K two years prior), but the pool of 9.8 graded copies at the time was just over 30. 

The pool of 9.8s copies of GSX #1 is 60% greater than the number for Hulk #181 (249 copies vs 157 copies), so the potential of another 9.9 coming forward one day seems to be much greater - but until it happens, who knows.

If the 9.9 Hulk was a 15x multiple of the 9.8, I'm not sure I see why the GSX should be a 30x multiple (and certainly not a 50x multiple).

On 3/28/2024 at 1:38 PM, Professor K said:

Are you joking? I mean that sincerly. 9.8's are selling for between 22 and 30k. It'll probably top 100k but I'd be real surprised if it topped 200. 

You have to understand that there are some collectors out there who will pay almost any amount for the bragging rights to owning the only (for now) 9.9 copy of a key issue (even if there are a few dozen 9.8s that look nicer—and there probably are). I will not be surprised if it hits $200K.

On 3/28/2024 at 1:46 PM, szav said:

The IH 181 cgc 9.9 went for 150k at a time when 9.8s were going for less than 10k.  I can’t see this going for less than 500.  Not in this day and age.  

Not saying it’s worth that to me, but I’d be floored to see it go for less than 200.

So you think it will hit $200K or $500K?

On 3/28/2024 at 3:25 PM, szav said:

The risk of another 9.9 is real, but probably not in the minds of these bidders.

It doesn't matter to them because there's only one 9.9 right now. The ego boost they would get would carry them into 2025 and beyond.

On 3/28/2024 at 11:58 AM, Dark Knight said:

I think it's valued between $200k-$250k. I'd be shocked if it went for more.  If I had the money, i wouldn't want to pay that price for a GSX #1. There might be more 9.9's coming out sooner rather than later and will definitely decrease the value of the first 9.9 that was graded.  Too much of a gamble, but to each their own.

Soon enough, 9.9 will be the new 9.8

On 3/28/2024 at 3:25 PM, szav said:

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not advocating for the wisdom of 500k plus for this book.  I think it would be dumb, but I'm almost certain it will happen.  We've come down from the pandemic era highs but did we forget this highest graded 1 of 5 already?  It's Ghost Rider...not...the X-Men. Things like 157 vs 249 copies don't matter all when we're talking about fanatic bidding from a few whales looking for a one and only.  The risk of another 9.9 is real, but probably not in the minds of these bidders.  

I can't see this book going for less than the MS 5 9.8.  I'm pretty sure the DC comics presents 26 CGC 9.9 went on Comiclink for something like 30-40 times the price of a 9.8 as well.

image.thumb.png.99b8340fc84290162726150b86ec0a23.png

On 3/28/2024 at 3:46 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You have to understand that there are some collectors out there who will pay almost any amount for the bragging rights to owning the only (for now) 9.9 copy of a key issue (even if there are a few dozen 9.8s that look nicer—and there probably are). I will not be surprised if it hits $200K.

So you think it will hit $200K or $500K?

Hey, Oh yeah I totally understand that's where szav is coming from. Everyone understands.. And it probably will hit around 200k. Who knows really.  All depends on two things I guess, personal wealth and vanity. Like that guy who has an amp that goes up to 11. It's very special. :headbang:

No way this hits a million unless someone gets their bid shilled up. If CGC did announce a 9.9 pre screen service this release is a perfect way to pump that,  what a shocker. No way this is owned by someone who is not part of the inner circle either. 

On 3/28/2024 at 10:30 PM, szav said:
On 3/28/2024 at 10:27 PM, Silver Surfer said:

If CGC did announce a 9.9 pre screen service

I think that was a joke someone made.  I’ve never used the ‘service’ but it currently :devil: says they don’t do it for 9.9s or 10s.

Sounds as though you guys missed that interview with Matt which they had buried somewhere in there on that monstrous ASM 252 swap scandal thread.  :gossip:

Like others have posted on this samme topic in the General Forum, this sounds like the perfect marketing promotion for CGC and at a convenient time just as they are apparently  (shrug) on the verge of announcing their CGC 9.9 pre-screen service.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

On 3/28/2024 at 11:58 AM, Dark Knight said:

There might be more 9.9's coming out sooner rather than later and will definitely decrease the value of the first 9.9 that was graded.  Too much of a gamble, but to each their own.

I would tend to agree with you here, especially if the CGC 9.9 pre-screen service that Matt was talking about in his interview actually gets implemented.  hm

As Matt had alluded to in his interview, with so many 9.8 copies of a particular book in the census, surely there should be some 9.9's in there.  Although I believe he was referring to Modern books, any bets that it wouldn't stop the speculators from trying to pre-screen their BA or CA 9.8's for a possible higher grade given the dollars that we are probably talking about here.  (shrug)

As for the value of a CGC 9.9 GSXM 1 if more copies come into the census and marketplace.  Remember that CGC 9.8 graded copy of Iron Man 30 that was at the time the single highest graded copy and the "only 9.8 in the Universe" that CC was able to auction off for $15K back in 2016.  Let's just say that unlike GA books when additional copies of a truly HTF rare book in any grade comes into the marketplace and usually supports the original price paid, as additional copies of Iron Man 30 in CGC 9.8 came into the marketplace, the price went downwards pretty quickly and now there are 6 copies of Iron Man 30 in CGC 9.8 and nowhere close to having anybody willing to pay 5-figures for one of them.  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/28/2024 at 11:47 PM, Professor K said:

Hey, Oh yeah I totally understand that's where szav is coming from. Everyone understands.. And it probably will hit around 200k. Who knows really.  All depends on two things I guess, personal wealth and vanity. Like that guy who has an amp that goes up to 11. It's very special. :headbang:

Yes. Chances are no one else cares, but guys like that are always convinced that others envy them. If you understand the concept of narcissistic supply, then you understand the single-highest-graded copy chasers.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:03 AM, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though you guys missed that interview with Matt which they had buried somewhere in there on that monstrous ASM 252 swap scandal thread.  :gossip:

Like others have posted on this samme topic in the General Forum, this sounds like the perfect marketing promotion for CGC and at a convenient time just as they are apparently  (shrug) on the verge of announcing their CGC 9.9 pre-screen service.  :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

I thought it was already implemented. 

On 3/29/2024 at 11:04 AM, szav said:

No I have not watched that interview ... I had assumed you were just talking out your.....or being sarcastic.  Apologies.  Doesn't look to be official yet though, and I agree if they are going to pre-screen for 9.9s that's probably going to hurt the value on 9.9s and probably devalue 9.8s in general too.

Would be a really dumb move from CGC for a lot of reasons.  It would be an implicit guarantee that they'll have to hand out more 9.9s, otherwise why would anyone ever pay the price for the screening.  And if there's more 9.9s, they obviously become less scarce, and if 9.9s are more common...9.8s lose their appeal to a lot of people as well maybe.  I think it would upset a lot of the collecting base. I wonder if the service would be meant more for the people who send in 100 copies of a freshly printed modern book, vs sending in SA/BA/CA books expecting 9.9s?  We'd have to see how its all implemented of course.

That all said, even if they did implement the 9.9 screening...I'm still fully confident that as long as another 9.9 GSX-1 didn't come out before this auction closes, there's way more than enough dumb money in this hobby from people who never read these boards to propel this particular copy (that doesn't look much like you'd think a 9.9 would with the defects people have pointed out) well higher than the 264k the highest graded 1 of 5 MS5 got.  

I think the idea is that they want 9.8 label chasers to not only mass submit raw books to prescreen for 9.9s but also to crack, press and resub their current 9.8s. Once the 9.9 prescreen is fully implemented and 9.9s start flooding the market, the whole 9.8 paradigm shifts.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:18 PM, szav said:

A stupid move that would anger all the collectors who’ve spent fortunes amassing large collections of 9.8 runs.  Whatever money they might generate making such an opaque money grab they’d lose in the long run I think.  I think it would be a catastrophically bad decision that would drive a lot of people, and a lot of money, out of the hobby

Theres way more money invested in 9.8s than 9.9s right now, magnitudes more. Can’t see how it pays off to give the middle finger to all the 9.8 owners as you drive down the value of those books by artificial creation of more 9.9s.

CGC's decision making lately seems more geared toward short term revenue generation based on transactional business rather than long term legacy business. Now that they are owned by a much larger umbrella corporation they need to show upward trajectory each quarter or else the board starts cutting costs.

On 3/29/2024 at 12:18 PM, szav said:

A stupid move that would anger all the collectors who’ve spent fortunes amassing large collections of 9.8 runs.  Whatever money they might generate making such an opaque money grab they’d lose in the long run I think.  I think it would be a catastrophically bad decision that would drive a lot of people, and a lot of money, out of the hobby

Theres way more money invested in 9.8s than 9.9s right now, magnitudes more. Can’t see how it pays off to give the middle finger to all the 9.8 owners as you drive down the value of those books by artificial creation of more 9.9s.

I don't think that corporate raiders like the group that bought CGC think that long term. They want to make a quick buck so that the annual profits look good, then they'll sell and let the hapless buyer deal with the fallout.

On 3/29/2024 at 1:08 PM, Ryan. said:

I think the idea is that they want 9.8 label chasers to not only mass submit raw books to prescreen for 9.9s but also to crack, press and resub their current 9.8s. Once the 9.9 prescreen is fully implemented and 9.9s start flooding the market, the whole 9.8 paradigm shifts.

They should also give PR books a nudge from .5 to .6.  :wishluck:

On 3/29/2024 at 8:56 PM, Point Five said:

They should also give PR books a nudge from .5 to .6.  :wishluck:

For an upcharge they'll slab remainder copies upside down.