• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
20 20

2,581 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2023 at 11:31 AM, DeadOne said:

For those interested, Taschen has a sale going on right now on their website.
Not all of the comic stuff is on sale, but the Avengers and Spidey XXL books are 50% off and the History of EC Comics XXL book is $80 bucks off (I picked this one up).

https://www.taschen.com/en/books/comics/

Sweet. I'm debating about that EC book.  I loved my Frazetta copy but man these books are big!

Taschen books are amazing...I have both the XXL 75 Years of DC Comics and 75 Years of Marvel Comics, along with a small stack of Little Books (though not the main one I want, which is the X-Men one...). I used to pop by their store during this time (WH sale) every year when they still had their physical NYC location. Was hoping to see the new X-Men book on sale, but wasn't expecting it to be given that it just came out...hopefully next year. But if you're debating getting any of these...go for it. They're just great-looking books.

On 9/1/2023 at 9:49 AM, Cocomonkey said:

Taschen books are amazing...I have both the XXL 75 Years of DC Comics and 75 Years of Marvel Comics, along with a small stack of Little Books (though not the main one I want, which is the X-Men one...). I used to pop by their store during this time (WH sale) every year when they still had their physical NYC location. Was hoping to see the new X-Men book on sale, but wasn't expecting it to be given that it just came out...hopefully next year. But if you're debating getting any of these...go for it. They're just great-looking books.

Out of curiosity how do you read these?   They are massive.

On 9/1/2023 at 10:57 AM, WolverineX said:

Out of curiosity how do you read these?   They are massive.

Laying in bed, haha. When I read these, I kept them on a shelf under my side table, and pulled it out to read a bit each night before switching to a tablet. They're large but somewhat quick reads--each chapter was like a third text and then the rest were images and captions.

On 9/1/2023 at 1:46 PM, Cocomonkey said:

Laying in bed, haha. When I read these, I kept them on a shelf under my side table, and pulled it out to read a bit each night before switching to a tablet. They're large but somewhat quick reads--each chapter was like a third text and then the rest were images and captions.

I see.  I just sit on the ground crosslegged but it's tedious.  Also, did you keep that fancy box?  

On 9/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, WolverineX said:

I see.  I just sit on the ground crosslegged but it's tedious.  Also, did you keep that fancy box?  

Oh, absolutely kept the boxes, haha. Yeah, I either sat up in bed with it in my lap, or read it lying down (though that'd get to my back over time). 

Those comments about huge books, got me thinking...

what are the largest, heaviest comic related books you own or have seen?

Personally, I'd put the Prince Valiant studio art edition from fantagraphics, and The Stan Lee Story from Taschen on that list. Now those are monstrous and heavy.  Any others?

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/1/2023 at 9:19 PM, bronze_rules said:

Those comments about huge books, got me thinking...

what are the largest, heaviest comic related books you own or have seen?

Personally, I'd put the Prince Valiant studio art edition from fantagraphics, and The Stan Lee Story from Taschen on that list. Now those are monstrous and heavy.  Any others?

This one is insane.

LevitzTaschen.png.c4795e3715c35eb8372c3d77eac07832.png

On 9/1/2023 at 8:15 PM, Zonker said:

This one is insane.

Excellent example, Zonker. I've never seen the larger version of that title in hand, so the picture gives it a lot of support.

I got to thinking about comparing the titles I do have and came up with the following table, where we see the three Taschen titles are comparable.

I haven't found the large versions of DC and Marvel, but I have the Stan Lee Story and it is a monster. You can also see Prince Valiant is enormous in Area, even compared to the 

others. I have Prince Valiant and Stan Lee, so I can attest to that. If I have time to pull them out maybe I'll show a picture when I go home later. Can't think of any

that beats all of them, but would love to hear if anyone has any. I have a lot of AEs and none comes close to Prince Valiant.

Title            depth (in)       width (in)      height (in)     weight (lb)            pages
DC 75 years (Taschen) 3.5 12.5 18.25 18 720
Marvel 75 years (Taschen) 3.54 13.31 18.5 16.8 712
Stan Lee Story (Taschen) 2.76 12.6 19.7 16.6 621
Prince Valiant (Fantagraphics)   20 25.5   160

edit: pulled out some titles for comparison pics

The Jack Kirby is a 'twice up' AE, common in silver age and earlier titles that were done in 14X20 OA.

A more common AE size (11X17) is shown in the second image with more recent Michael Golden titles.

Hard to see, but the Stan Lee Story dwarfs all of them in depth (and page count), not so certain about weight. 

Prine Valiant is not only enormous but very heavy. Last pic is Immortal Hulk omni (sold out first day),

a recent massive sized omnibus (others I can think of are Colossal Conans).

IMG_9539.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg

IMG_9548 (1).jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

I’d agree on the Taschen book comments made so far, the recent Marvel releases have just been incredible. Pricey but top quality. Silver Surfer is coming next and since I haven’t read much of the original run it’ll be great to see it all in XXL format.

Another giant size book is coming in October for Hellboy; ‘Monster Size.’ It is due to contain a lot of the early stuff in super size format.

I’ve slowed down on my omnibus collecting because of the space issue in my house but it’s so hard when I see the releases that keep coming! I’ve got Superman For All Seasons Absolute edition on its way next, well worth it for that Tim Sale art. Then I saw Absolute Court of Owls is getting a re release in December so going to have to put in for that one too and hope I can squeeze in another shelf somewhere….

On 9/2/2023 at 4:50 PM, bronze_rules said:

I know some people had asked for scans of Taschen EC, so since I pulled out all these monstrosities, figured this is a good time to do it.

On glossy, heavy stock (typical of Taschen) and is loaded chronologically with write-ups, covers, OA, memorabilia, etc.. Must have for EC collectors, IMO.

Although if OA detail is your thing, definitely go with AE editions (most hard to find now).

IMG_9542.jpg

IMG_9543.jpg

IMG_9544.jpg

IMG_9545.jpg

IMG_9546.jpg

Nice photos! My order actually got canceled because my payment method has some troubles and now I'm trying to reorder but it's full price again.:cry: I will wait for the next sale.

On 9/1/2023 at 11:15 PM, Zonker said:

This one is insane.

Yeah, this is the one that came immediately to mind. That beast came in its own cardboard suitcase! I basically had to just lean mine up against a wall, didn't have another space that would handle it!