• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Omnibus, Absolute, Deluxe, and HC Thread
19 19

2,493 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2023 at 8:17 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Very pleased to learn that Richard Corben’s back catalogue of classic material is soon to be reprinted by Dark Horse.

Did I ever tell you that I kinda hate Dark Horse's EC paperbacks? I think you warned me years ago that they looked terrible because of the recoloring, and you were absolutely right. The bright-white pages and digital coloring is just so ugly for that period of art.

On 6/8/2023 at 11:44 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Did I ever tell you that I kinda hate Dark Horse's EC paperbacks? I think you warned me years ago that they looked terrible because of the recoloring, and you were absolutely right. The bright-white pages and digital coloring is just so ugly for that period of art.

Apparently, Corben's artwork is being 'restored' by colourist Jose Villarubia, which hopefully won't lead to anything as drastic as we've seen previously, but we'll find out in just a few weeks when Den is re-released.

Likewise, same as you I dislike the presentation they chose for the EC reprints.  The easiest-and-best path for me would've been for them to follow the palette chosen by Marie Severin for the original comics; along with Corben, one of the best colourists of all time.

Worst of all was the atrocious digital recolouring of the Bronze Age Marvel Conan the Barbarian comics, with so much line detail completely obliterated.  At least when the series reverted back to Marvel their latest reprints were a million times better.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/12/2023 at 11:34 AM, Dave2739 said:

I've commented on this numerous times in the past. My OCD and I trying our best to deal with it since we don't have a choice.

Yeah, not much I can do. I'm sure there are some folks who will go so far as to print their own customized dj's, but I can't quite go that far. So I'll buy it and complain on here. ha

On 6/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, ak47po said:

Advise, does anyone have this book and is it worth the price? $234.00 I do like the facsimile copy that comes with it.

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/marvel-the-golden-age.html

m40_book.webp.a6ec700c44e1f00f5746b98a037e89b2.webp

They have others also.

Screenshot (81).png

I have personally found these volumes to be a bit redundant, so I have not taken the plunge. Curious to hear other thoughts/opinions on these.

On 6/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, ak47po said:

Advise, does anyone have this book and is it worth the price? $234.00 I do like the facsimile copy that comes with it.

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/marvel-the-golden-age.html

m40_book.webp.a6ec700c44e1f00f5746b98a037e89b2.webp

They have others also.

Screenshot (81).png

It's something I want to buy someday, but I'll probably be able to find all 3 for $500 on eBay again.

Damnit. I need Transformers The IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 12, and it's selling for a lot of money online, if I can even find a copy. Why did I leave some of these volumes so late? The search for a copy begins..... 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:33 AM, Cat said:

Damnit. I need Transformers The IDW Collection Phase Two Volume 12, and it's selling for a lot of money online, if I can even find a copy. Why did I leave some of these volumes so late? The search for a copy begins..... 

https://mitpressbookstore.mit.edu/book/9781684057467

Special Order - Subject to Availability

Edited by ak47po

On 7/13/2023 at 1:00 AM, ak47po said:

https://mitpressbookstore.mit.edu/book/9781684057467

Special Order - Subject to Availability

You're a legend, I'll try this tomorrow morning. Thank you so much!! 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:33 AM, Cat said:

It took me a couple of years to put together the full IDW hc set without paying above retail. This was one that I had a little trouble finding, but then one day it came back into stock at Target, of all places, and I got it in a B2G1 free sale. Most of these books went through like 15-20 printings, which is kinda nuts. There would be occasional stealth restocks. Took a lot of effort. I sure hope that one pans out for you!

On 7/13/2023 at 3:31 AM, F For Fake said:

It took me a couple of years to put together the full IDW hc set without paying above retail. This was one that I had a little trouble finding, but then one day it came back into stock at Target, of all places, and I got it in a B2G1 free sale. Most of these books went through like 15-20 printings, which is kinda nuts. There would be occasional stealth restocks. Took a lot of effort. I sure hope that one pans out for you!

Cheers, mate. I'm preparing to shell out the bucks if I need to, but I'm really hoping Ak47po's link will come through for me when I do that a bit later (I've only just woken up). It serves me right for getting so lackadaisical about these later volumes. I stopped buying them because the material was just so bad. But now I'd rather have the lot, regardless of quality (looking at you, Livio Ramondelli, disappointer of worlds).

It also hurts going from all first prints to suddenly 8th prints. lol