• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

I wish to rewatch E3. I saw it on a laptop with poor audio. Even with subtitles, poor audio isn't wonderful for a chap with a hearing disability. I also wish to rewatch it for the colors. I liked the purple & pistachio of the doomed world.  

20 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

but I doubt they ever do that in the MCU given this new Victorian age of political correctness we're in anyway.

Also, a seductress must have sex appeal, it seems to me. 

11 minutes ago, TupennyConan said:

I haven't seen Brazil since its debut. When did you last see it? I am curious if it deserves its fine reputation.  

I rewatched it recently. I have to say when people throw around the terms 'dystopian' or 'dark comedy' frequently, they haven't reflected on this movie as a baseline.

That ending is so dark, it throws you for a loop what you just experienced. I definitely don't need to watch this again.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I rewatched it recently. I have to say when people throw around the terms 'dystopian' or 'dark comedy' frequently, they haven't reflected on this movie as a baseline.

That ending is so dark, it throws you for a loop what you just experienced. I definitely don't need to watch this again.

Gee, I don't recall the ending. 

1 hour ago, TupennyConan said:

I haven't seen Brazil since its debut. When did you last see it? I am curious if it deserves its fine reputation.  

It is in my all time top 10, so I'm a bit biased. :)

Mild spoilers:

Spoiler

I get that. So much of the film is from Sam's PoV, and you get sucked into his quest. And the filmmakers are definitely messing with you and trying to throw you for a loop.

While the ending is certainly dark, I think it's consistent with other parts of the film, which explore themes like the relationship between totalitarianism and terrorism.

Fun Fact: There is a studio cut with a happy ending, which was never released theatrically.

I find the film's satirical style compelling, but I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea.

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bxwaxekbdrl1ntwv7wqx

Edited by adampasz

1 hour ago, adampasz said:

I agree. The show isn't pulling me in. I tried rewatching some of Episode 1, but soon I switched over to the latest Rick & Morty, which holds attention attention much better even on repeat viewings. It boils down to screenwriting 101: well-defined characters and stakes. In Rick & Morty, the characters are constantly expressing their fears, desires, and anxieties. Motivations and relationships are always extremely clear, even as the characters careen from one absurd situation to the next.

In Loki, despite that actors' best efforts, I just don't feel connected. Maybe it's because a lot of the story centers around them observing events from the outside. For example, re-watching the Odin farewell scene in episode 1, from Hiddleston's facial expressions, I get that he is feeling big emotions, but the --script doesn't inform me of how this impacts and changes him.

Terry Gilliam's Brazil presents a similar story and setting, but it always has a strong sense of narrative drive. In Brazil, nearly every action is driven by the hero's desire to rescue his dream girl because she represents freedom from the mundane, bureaucratic world. His choices lead him down a very clear, decisive (albeit misguided) path.  What is Loki's relationship to Sylvie? While the actors did a good job establishing there is some sense of chemistry and personal connection, I'm not getting much from the story and dialogue. Is he trying to escape from her? Befriend her? Seduce her? Capture her? Prove he is the superior trickster? I get that maybe he is conflicted, and wants all of these things, but from scene-to-scene and moment-to-moment, it is often not clear what he's trying to achieve.

It's funny you mention that because the writer for Loki was a writer for Rick and Morty too hm

I've always found a glimmer of happiness in the ending, and the film overall. Even as a prisoner in an omnipresent, totalitarian regime, you can still create a sphere of freedom within your own mind.

I believe the film aligns well with ideas from Vaclav Havel, and other Cold War dissidents of the time.

I was just saying how it needs to pick up, well OK I REALLY liked this one!!

Things are finally happening and its getting good.

Also there is a MUST watch scene AFTER the credits this time!!!!

3 minutes ago, fett said:

Great Episode #4!! Keep watching through the credits. :banana: Wow, where does it go from here? 

1 minute ago, Rip said:

Uh huh

Spoiler

Anyone else notice that to the right of the Richard E Grant variant of Marvel 60's Loki was a demolished Avengers tower?  What the ?!

1 minute ago, Rip said:

Agreed!!  Poor poor DC. They cannot come close to matching this tight storytelling. 

6 minutes ago, Rip said:
  8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Uh huh

Reveal hidden contents

Anyone else notice that to the right of the Richard E Grant variant of Marvel 60's Loki was a demolished Avengers tower?  What the ?!

Expand  

Yep and love

Reveal hidden contents

Was just about to ask which book will speculation latch on to about that one? :roflmao:

Spoiler

Or maybe John Henry Loki. 

2 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
  Hide contents

Also since I live in Florida now I want to start trying to put Loki hats on all our gators.. 

And 

20210630_031306.thumb.jpg.5abbae7eef11e21b4fdbb4be967a1d14.jpg

That wasn't a scene from Loki.  That was the local Orlando news affiliate reporting on the weather. 

39 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Uh huh

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

20210630_033151.thumb.jpg.ad8d920d83d872a027e46a95bfc5cd80.jpg

1 hour ago, fett said:

Agreed!!  Poor poor DC. They cannot come close to matching this tight storytelling. 

What?!

HBO's Watchmen Season 1

The Flash Season 1

Arrow Season 1-2

Smallville Seasons 6-9

Doom Patrol Season 1

Krypton Seasons 1-2

All strongly told stories. Get over the blind bias.

Edited by Bosco685