• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

Just now, media_junkie said:

And that is why I'm not a huge fan of time travel stories.  To me it seems like even the people writing it cannot keep their "laws/rules" straight.  In episode 1 of Loki the TVA went and destroyed the variant timeline shortly (like minutes) after Loki created it and in the little cartoon it said they destroyed all these variant time lines before they went on to long and hit the "red line" which would cause very bad things.  So you are telling me they let Steve start a new timeline and let it go for 60+ years?

Endgame was a clear example where showrunners and writers cannot keep their rules straight as afterwards in interviews they were sharing conflicting views how differing timelines impacted characters.

But at least they got a joke in on Back To The Future. :insane:

1 minute ago, media_junkie said:

And that is why I'm not a huge fan of time travel stories...

I wasn't a fan of bringing Loki back after Infinity War.* The more you try to expound on time travel, the more you confuse both yourself and the audience.

*"Death is what gives life meaning." - The Ancient One

Another thing I'm wondering after episode 1: what is Hollywood's obsession with D.B. Cooper? For the last 10 years or so, it has been referenced in a lot of shows or even full episodes dedicated to him.

On 6/12/2021 at 12:17 AM, comicginger1789 said:

The villain can’t really be as straight forward as Mobius said…right?

It could be the bit shown in the pic below taken from one of the teasers.  Hiddleston has explicitly commented that he's glad they could incorporate Loki's gender fluidity into the show, and that scene from 1858 shown right after Mobius said he wanted help tracking down a variant version of himself features a woman in a hooded cloak apparently killing those TVA agents.  That woman is in the credits as a woman confirmed to be the stunt double for an actress named Sophia di Martino playing an undisclosed part in the series that people are guessing is either Lady Loki or Enchantress.  I imagine we'll find which of the two we saw in this week's episode.

Lady Loki was introduced into the comics in 2008 as a female appearance Loki takes on.  Norse mythology also depicts Loki sometimes taking on the form of a woman as well which is where the idea was drawn from.

Loki_genderfluid.jpg

24 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

It could be the bit shown in the pic below taken from one of the teasers.  Hiddleston has explicitly commented that he's glad they could incorporate Loki's gender fluidity into the show, and that scene from 1858 shown right after Mobius said he wanted help tracking down a variant version of himself features a woman in a hooded cloak apparently killing those TVA agents.  That woman is in the credits as a woman confirmed to be the stunt double for an actress named Sophia di Martino playing an undisclosed part in the series that people are guessing is either Lady Loki or Enchantress.  I imagine we'll find which of the two we saw in this week's episode.

Lady Loki was introduced into the comics in 2008 as a female appearance Loki takes on.  Norse mythology also depicts Loki sometimes taking on the form of a woman as well which is where the idea was drawn from.

Loki_genderfluid.jpg

That's what I mean, it is not simply going to be Loki as a female is it? Maybe I need to re-watch but was it clearly a woman at the end there? To me the figure was heavily hooded but perhaps I missed flowing hair or something.

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

That's what I mean, it is not simply going to be Loki as a female is it? Maybe I need to re-watch but was it clearly a woman at the end there? To me the figure was heavily hooded but perhaps I missed flowing hair or something.

No. I didn't discern man or woman there.

8 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I don't see that you can visually discern anything about who's under the hood.  The reason people are thinking that was a woman is from the show's credits shown in the screenshot below where stunt doubles are listed.  "Variant Double" is listed as Sarah Irwin, and Sophia di Martino has said in the Instagram post linked here that's her stunt double.  So somewhere in the episode Sophia di Martino's stunt double appeared, and nobody has found a viable candidate for where that is other than the final scene.

LokiCredits.thumb.png.6226ce3de395240aecf2a8ad8854a85a.png

4 hours ago, D84 said:

Another thing I'm wondering after episode 1: what is Hollywood's obsession with D.B. Cooper? For the last 10 years or so, it has been referenced in a lot of shows or even full episodes dedicated to him.

Because he is straight up "The one that got away."  He is the great unknown.  Nobody can say with any certainty who he was, if he died that night, or if he got away.  Truly one of the great unsolved mysteries.  So of course Hollywood wants to tap into that.

7 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Because he is straight up "The one that got away."  He is the great unknown.  Nobody can say with any certainty who he was, if he died that night, or if he got away.  Truly one of the great unsolved mysteries.  So of course Hollywood wants to tap into that.

Have to agree.

I have seen so many shows touch on the D.B. Cooper story if not for an entire episode, then a good portion of it. And there is always some new realization not just about who he could have been, but where he ended up after they found a good portion of the money in a river bank.

'the one that got away' is always going to spark more interest.

D. B. Cooper in popular culture

I thought Unsolved Mysteries had an episode on this too

A 1988 episode of Unsolved Mysteries focused on the skyjacker, where Florence Shaffner was interviewed. The show hired a composite artist to recreate Cooper, where the stewardess described him with a skinnier head and more elongated nose than the usual popular profile. Also studied was an airplane exit sign found in the Washington backcountry by a hunter and the $5,880 in marked bills found by a family while camping. Combined with failure to find a body, this lent credence to the theory that Cooper did not die on impact if he landed on the earth, but could have possibly succumb to drowning or hypothermia if he landed in the water.

I prefer the large, exaggerated horns like Loki wore in the comics or the Avengers film, as well as the large ones she wore from her first appearance in the comics in 2008.

RCO021.jpg

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Have to agree.

I have seen so many shows touch on the D.B. Cooper story if not for an entire episode, then a good portion of it. And there is always some new realization not just about who he could have been, but where he ended up after they found a good portion of the money in a river bank.

'the one that got away' is always going to spark more interest.

But it's not the only unsolved mystery out there.

For me, it's reached the point of overkill. It's like the sitcom episode that's in every series.

Hollywood, please move on.

5 minutes ago, D84 said:

But it's not the only unsolved mystery out there.

For me, it's reached the point of overkill. It's like the sitcom episode that's in every series.

Hollywood, please move on.

dbcooper.gif.6d8177fab6a189c4a1398e5f3e5b6469.gif

On 6/15/2021 at 9:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

Endgame was a clear example where showrunners and writers cannot keep their rules straight as afterwards in interviews they were sharing conflicting views how differing timelines impacted characters.

But at least they got a joke in on Back To The Future. :insane:

As Bob Ross says (He's alive to me damnit)... that this might be a happy little accident.  

If there were concrete rules behind time travel in the Endgame then perhaps we would not be getting a show like Loki that explores this or a multiverse or anything else to play in.  I am comfortable with the conflicting belief in how it works because it provides a future story where the heroes have to definitively explore exactly, "how it works."  This means Kang, multi dimensional Spider-men and things like that and anything can happen because the rules were not set in stone. 

What can I say? I'm an optimist. 

I liked the last two episodes very much and for the most part Marvel casting has been spot on since 'Day One."  Owen Wilson's delivery as an actor is an excellent partner to Hiddleston's Loki.   I am enjoying this. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

If there were concrete rules behind time travel in the Endgame then perhaps we would not be getting a show like Loki that explores this or a multiverse or anything else to play in.

I haven't seen Episode 2, but Episode 1 of Loki follows the "rules" that the Russo Bros. conveyed.

I would think that a guy as genius as Kevin Feige would weigh in and put the writers in their place. :devil:

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

As Bob Ross says (He's alive to me damnit)... that this might be a happy little accident.  

If there were concrete rules behind time travel in the Endgame then perhaps we would not be getting a show like Loki that explores this or a multiverse or anything else to play in.  I am comfortable with the conflicting belief in how it works because it provides a future story where the heroes have to definitively explore exactly, "how it works."  This means Kang, multi dimensional Spider-men and things like that and anything can happen because the rules were not set in stone. 

What can I say? I'm an optimist. 

I liked the last two episodes very much and for the most part Marvel casting has been spot on since 'Day One."  Owen Wilson's delivery as an actor is an excellent partner to Hiddleston's Loki.   I am enjoying this. 

Thanks for sharing your opinion. You're still wrong.

:baiting:

Just kidding. But it is goofy when a company takes a jab at another franchise and then its own attempt at such concepts becomes convoluted.

Or if non-Disney films did they, such results would be termed 'ridiculous' and a 'failure'. But Disney/Marvel Studios gets a pass because it had wonderful buildup and casting. Selective storytelling offense lives on.