• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+ LOKI (2021)
12 12

794 posts in this topic

Speaking recently in an exclusive interview with Screen Rant, di Martino addressed the different theories surrounding her character’s true identity. According to her, Loki’s Sylvie is really an original character, which draws inspiration from several different points in the comics. That means there likely isn’t any big twist coming regarding who Sylvie is, and that she’s simply what she seems to be – a Loki variant from a different branch of the timeline. Read di Martino’s full quote below.

"The character is Sylvie and she's her own character. The show is inspired by the comics and by lots of different things in the comics, but our story is a brand new story and a new backstory for Sylvie."

In the comics, Sylvie Lushton is an ordinary girl from Oklahoma who wakes up one day with magical Asgardian powers. She takes the superhero name Enchantress, journeys to New York, and eventually joins the Young Avengers. However, it’s later revealed that her powers were granted to her by an incantation from Loki, and that he was using her for his own nefarious means. It’s even hinted that Sylvie may have been entirely created by Loki somehow, and that her memories are false.

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I really don't like the pacing of the show.

I don't like the pacing of any of the three Disney Plus shows.  An MCU movie feels like a roller coaster, whereas the shows so far feel like riding a bus.  :eek:  They're fine, they're just not thrilling.

There's simply too much uninteresting filler. The part where Loki is singing is 'filler', but fun. Then you have the filler when you have the same spats with Sylvie that have already been said 10 f^&*ing times. These episodes could be cut by 10-15 minutes and lose nothing important.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Like I said about "Falcon and the Winter Soldier," it can be cut to a decent 2 hour movie.

There's too much :censored: to pad the runtime. 

But then we wouldn't get the 7-8 minutes of credits to recognize all the international contributions

:sumo:

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

I wonder if that is because it’s the closest they can get to the enchantress  without getting sued. 

Who could sue them?  That name is pretty generic, and given that both Marvel and DC have been using the name for decades I'm guessing that neither has any trademark on it.  And I'd be surprised if they could ever get one since the word has been used in fantasy fiction long before either company started using it.

On 6/17/2021 at 9:16 AM, fantastic_four said:

Looking up the origin of this version of Enchantress I see she was created by Loki, so maybe they merged the two characters together for the MCU.

Last week's episode combined with reading more about both Enchantress and Lady Loki has me thinking this is the angle they were going for.  Enchantress and Lady Loki are pretty similar to begin with in that they're both female tricksters much like Loki so I don't see that we need them both, and to name her "Sylvie Laufeydottir" (see the screenshot below from last episode) is an explicit mix of the two character's names together into a single one.  Sylvie is the name of the modern Enchantress, and "Laufeydottir" is Norse for daughter of Laufey, who was the frost giant from the first Thor movie who is Loki's father.  Loki's full name is shown on a similar TVA report in the first episode to be Laufeyson i.e. son of Laufey, and Thor's last name in the comics is Odinson.  The main element Enchantress has in the comics that I haven't yet seen evidence Lady Loki has is her penchant for seducing powerful men with her beauty, but I doubt they ever do that in the MCU given this new Victorian age of political correctness we're in anyway.

Sylvie.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

20 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's simply too much uninteresting filler. The part where Loki is singing is 'filler', but fun. Then you have the filler when you have the same spats with Sylvie that have already been said 10 f^&*ing times. These episodes could be cut by 10-15 minutes and lose nothing important.

This is exactly why I really didn't enjoy Ep 3. It was the same confrontation over and over.

I'll enjoy it more when it gets back to the mystery of the TVA and where it links to the other goings on in the MCU.

I'm enjoying the show, its got a lot of fun little parts and well worth watching. But it's not exactly blowing me away with excitement either. Hoping it picks up.

6 hours ago, RickSp said:

This is exactly why I really didn't enjoy Ep 3. It was the same confrontation over and over.

I'll enjoy it more when it gets back to the mystery of the TVA and where it links to the other goings on in the MCU.

I was looking forward to this, I LOVE Hiddleston, but I agree, it's boring.

46 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I was looking forward to this, I LOVE Hiddleston, but I agree, it's boring.

I felt bad admitting I was dosing off during parts of episode 2 and doing a little internet surfing during 3.  Hiddleston is great as Loki, I wanted this to be the show that blew me away, so far its a nice distraction, but nothing more.

I agree. The show isn't pulling me in. I tried rewatching some of Episode 1, but soon I switched over to the latest Rick & Morty, which holds attention attention much better even on repeat viewings. It boils down to screenwriting 101: well-defined characters and stakes. In Rick & Morty, the characters are constantly expressing their fears, desires, and anxieties. Motivations and relationships are always extremely clear, even as the characters careen from one absurd situation to the next.

In Loki, despite that actors' best efforts, I just don't feel connected. Maybe it's because a lot of the story centers around them observing events from the outside. For example, re-watching the Odin farewell scene in episode 1, from Hiddleston's facial expressions, I get that he is feeling big emotions, but the -script doesn't inform me of how this impacts and changes him.

Terry Gilliam's Brazil presents a similar story and setting, but it always has a strong sense of narrative drive. In Brazil, nearly every action is driven by the hero's desire to rescue his dream girl because she represents freedom from the mundane, bureaucratic world. His choices lead him down a very clear, decisive (albeit misguided) path.  What is Loki's relationship to Sylvie? While the actors did a good job establishing there is some sense of chemistry and personal connection, I'm not getting much from the story and dialogue. Is he trying to escape from her? Befriend her? Seduce her? Capture her? Prove he is the superior trickster? I get that maybe he is conflicted, and wants all of these things, but from scene-to-scene and moment-to-moment, it is often not clear what he's trying to achieve.

4 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Terry Gilliam's Brazil presents a similar story and setting, but it always has a strong sense of narrative drive. In Brazil, nearly every action is driven by the hero's desire to rescue his dream girl because she represents freedom from the mundane, bureaucratic world. His choices lead him down a very clear, decisive (albeit misguided) path.  What is Loki's relationship to Sylvie? While the actors did a good job establishing there is some sense of chemistry and personal connection, I'm not getting much from the story and dialogue. Is he trying to escape from her? Befriend her? Seduce her? Capture her? Prove he is the superior trickster? I get that maybe he is conflicted, and wants all of these things, but from scene-to-scene and moment-to-moment, it is often not clear what he's trying to achieve.

I haven't seen Brazil since its debut. When did you last see it? I am curious if it deserves its fine reputation.