• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THOR 4: LOVE AND THUNDER directed by Taika Waititi (11/5/21)
9 9

960 posts in this topic

Maybe I missed where this was discussed but a big part of the Aaron God of Thunder run was how foolish, dumb, and arrogant young Thor was.  Then there was present Thor that still had those traits but was trying to be a better man.  The librarian of the gods was aware of Thor and insulted him often for being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.  

I know that's a relatively modern take on him but is refreshing, IMO.  I did not grow up with serious, verbose, and noble Thor and thought that version of the character was always super lame.  

On 7/7/2022 at 2:09 PM, october said:

I've largely skipped Phase Bore, and what I have seen I've kind of regretted (other than Spidey, which was incredible). It doesn't sound like I should change that up for this.

Last one I went to watch was Endgame.  The only one that appeals to me is the last Spider-Man, and I’m waiting for it to come down a bit price-wise on 4K disc, the only reason I haven’t seen it yet.

Used to never miss one, broke the habit.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/6/2022 at 9:45 AM, Straw-Man said:

i am curious--how do you guys feel when you walk out of a really bad one?   say, you're starting the car in the parking lot after having seen green lantern or suicide squad or elektra?   i don't love guardians 2 by any means, but when we call it "a bad movie," how do we describe the ones that we don't scrape the bottom of the barrel for, but have to turn the barrel over and look underneath for?

As a fan of superhero movies in general (kids don't realize how spoiled they are today with the wealth of comic book flicks - when I was a kid it was Superman and Batman and that was it), I have never felt any of the Marvel or DC movies were bad. Some were just disappointing.

Just got back from seeing it. It was a very quirky film. The humor was a bit
too much in some parts. I could have done without some of the story telling
it was unneeded.

Natalie Portman is great she looked fantastic. :cloud9:
The Goats steal the show I think and they fit mythologically.

The beginning and the middle of the film needed more help
and development. Gor needed more development at the
beginning I thought. Had they given him maybe 10 more
minutes of develepment Bale could have made him a real monster.

Jamie Alexander really got wasted in this film. 

The ending I did really enjoy. The post credits scenes give you the 
setup for the next film completely. 

Jason Aaron wrote a great story and I am happy for him it got
made into a film although not as good as his story. 

Overall 7 out of 10. Not a stinker, but the quirky humor only works
in certain parts and Portman keeps the film from being worse. 

The end of the film also helps usher in a more cosmic tone one
I hope they follow up on more. 

On 7/7/2022 at 4:57 PM, Bosco685 said:

I know of at least one new character appearance in the post-credit scenes. NO SPOILERS, of course.

Reveal hidden contents

Hercules

Hercules.PNG.78d547a858c917e435ba2cadfb3321b4.PNG

Spoiler

I think the actor is good but I think he is too small over all.  He needs to be on some protein shakes and gain like 50 lbs of muscle.

On 7/7/2022 at 8:09 AM, october said:

I've largely skipped Phase Bore, and what I have seen I've kind of regretted (other than Spidey, which was incredible). It doesn't sound like I should change that up for this.

Turning every established strong male character into a punchline or failure or depressed recluse can work in limited doses, but that trope ran its course awhile ago.

you don't want to see this, they make Thor a 14 year old love struck doofus 

On 7/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Wow, I’m not sure what I just witnessed but it wasn’t a Thor movie. Bland, stale story and horrible acting.

Full theater and not a single laugh throughout the movie.

also really bad editing. A lot of the scenes were choppy.

I agree the goats were the only laughter in our theater. 
Its choppy because they cut alot apparently. I noticed it too at the begin and middle.
The end flowed better, but I thought it was really a lame set up or just a lame scene at 
the end when they go to meet him.