• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,943 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 11:20 PM, tth2 said:

What would the Secret Wars 8 cover go for now?

What does the Hulk 180 1st Wolverine panel go for now?  Unless we're now in a world in which the 1st Venom is considered more valuable than the 1st Wolverine.

And what would the 1st real Spider-Man in costume page in AF 15 (which exists, but not for sale) now be worth? 

This changes all the benchmarks unless it's some kind of crazy one-off. 

Ok grandpa.  Have some soup and calm down. Lol

who knows who they are but they have a lot of money and they’ve found us!  At last!  

but yeah three point what for WHAT?  I zoomed in on the art… lousy especially the Prof X panel  even Venom is just average   But it is what it is, a totem for a new generation 

On 1/13/2022 at 9:10 PM, Aman619 said:

but yeah three point what for WHAT?  I zoomed in on the art… lousy especially the Prof X panel  even Venom is just average   But it is what it is, a totem for a new generation 

Oh, come on now........are you blind or something because I don't think you have to zoom in at all to see how pedestrian this page of artwork is.  :p

Definitely not up to Zeck's typical quality standard of artwork, or at least in comparison to some of his much nicer cover artwork.  (thumbsu

Unless this is a one-time totally irrational outlier of a result, and even if it is, I think this is going to jump the OA market for pages with first appearances of comic book characters like there's no tomorrow as collectors, investors, and speculators pile in.  :flipbait:

This piece of OA cover artwork is definitely so much better and sold for less than a tenth of what that Zeck Venom page sold for:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/ed-hannigan-and-klaus-janson-gi-joe-a-real-american-hero-21-cover-snake-eyes-original-art-marvel-/a/7266-91010.s

Original Comic Art:Covers, Ed Hannigan and Klaus Janson G.I. Joe, A Real American Hero #21 Cover Snake-Eyes Original Art (Marvel, 1984)....

Nevertheless, still sold for a very strong price at $312K and when I saw it on the weekend, the first person I thought about was @delekkerste and hoping that he would be the lucky winner of this cover artwork here.  Especially since this would be the perfect bookend to the entire GI Joe 21 interior artwork that he hopefully still has in his personal collection.  :applause:

Was looking at some of the HA auction results from today and couldn't help but to laugh at this one here:  (:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime/gangsters-can-t-win-2-ds-publishing-1948-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7266-92012.s

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F2%2F9%2F25229684%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I guess this goes to clearly show that any type of press, even bad press, can go to help promote the sale of something as it sold for $26,400 or something approaching almost 60X top of guide.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Especially after the way some of us here (including me) have denigrated what appeared to be a horrendously overgraded Promise Collection copy of Gangsters Can't Win #2.  Maybe Heritage should kick back a small portion of their fee back to us for helping to promote and raise the profile of this prior relatively "unknown" book.  lol  :takeit:

On 1/13/2022 at 8:22 PM, Primetime said:

The Marvel 1 in 4.5 at $80k a point was strong.  

Yep, trying to close the gap with Batman #1 and equal/better than Cap 1 maybe.

On 1/13/2022 at 8:25 PM, Professor K said:

But the last Action 1 Blue was a few years ago.

If you don't count the two high profile copies that sold in the last 12 months, sure.

On 1/13/2022 at 10:15 PM, Crowzilla said:
On 1/13/2022 at 5:25 PM, Professor K said:

But the last Action 1 Blue was a few years ago.

If you don't count the two high profile copies that sold in the last 12 months, sure.

Would you be including the supposed sale of that raw copy in a private transaction for $4.5M as part of this count here?  :roflmao:

Another book that I thought did surprisingly well was this copy of More Fun 73 which seem to be on the way back down after the big Aquaman movie hype from a few years ago:  :whatthe:  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/more-fun-comics-73-dc-1941-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7266-91045.s

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F7%2F9%2F25279584%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold for a rather surprising and astonishing $192K for a CGC 6.5 graded copy, after Heritage was able to fetch only $111K for a higher CGC 7.5 graded copy back in April of 2021.  :applause:

Have always been interested in acquiring this book since it was the only still reasonably price DC GA key first appearance book back in the early to mid 90's when I was much more actively pursuing these books.  Pretty tough to beat when it's got the first appearance of not just one long running DC character, but two of them in the form of both Aquaman and Green Arrrow.  :luhv:  :takeit:

Definitely another one of these classic non-purchasing blunders of mine as I remember Harley had a nice raw VF copy for something like $3K or $4K a couple of years prior to the first big GA gold rush back in the mid 90's.  Although it certainly did looked nice, it just didn't look quite "perfect enough" for what I wanted for my collection as it just didn't have that "killer" look to it, especially considering the price point.  :facepalm:  doh!  doh!  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/14/2022 at 1:13 AM, lou_fine said:

Was looking at some of the HA auction results from today and couldn't help but to laugh at this one here:  (:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/crime/gangsters-can-t-win-2-ds-publishing-1948-cgc-nm-94-white-pages/a/7266-92012.s

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F2%2F2%2F9%2F25229684%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I guess this goes to clearly show that any type of press, even bad press, can go to help promote the sale of something as it sold for $26,400 or something approaching almost 60X top of guide.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Especially after the way some of us here (including me) have denigrated what appeared to be a horrendously overgraded Promise Collection copy of Gangsters Can't Win #2.  Maybe Heritage should kick back a small portion of their fee back to us for helping to promote and raise the profile of this prior relatively "unknown" book.  lol  :takeit:

It was also the cover to their catalogue. They knew what they were doing.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:19 PM, comicnoir said:

It was also the cover to their catalogue. They knew what they were doing.

Not sure why, but they started to send me the art auction catalogue which I have absolutely zero interest in, instead of the comic book catalogues which they used to send to me.  :pullhair:

Keeps my better half happy as the art auction catalog goes straight into the recycle bin instead of the comic book auction catalogues taking up space at the bottom of the closet.  :bigsmile:

On 1/14/2022 at 2:25 AM, lou_fine said:

Not sure why, but they started to send me the art auction catalogue which I have absolutely zero interest in, instead of the comic book catalogues which they used to send to me.  :pullhair:

Keeps my better half happy as the art auction catalog goes straight into the recycle bin instead of the comic book auction catalogues taking up space at the bottom of the closet.  :bigsmile:

Call them up. They'll send you what you want.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:27 PM, comicnoir said:

Call them up. They'll send you what you want.

I did during the previous auction back in November or whenever it was.  (thumbsu

Didn't seem to help as they sent me another Art Auction catalogue via FedEx which I promptly tossed straight into the recycle bin without even bothering to flip it open to take a gander at.  :p  :pullhair:  

On 1/14/2022 at 3:02 AM, lou_fine said:

I did during the previous auction back in November or whenever it was.  (thumbsu

Didn't seem to help as they sent me another Art Auction catalogue via FedEx which I promptly tossed straight into the recycle bin without even bothering to flip it open to take a gander at.  :p  :pullhair:  

But did they send you the comics catalogues you wanted? When I wasn't getting the catalogues I wanted and worse they were coming in after being rolled over by a truck, they got it together and sent everything I asked for. Of course the fact I owed them a small fortune might have helped.

On 1/14/2022 at 1:10 PM, Aman619 said:

The quality of the art is and always has been irrelevant in the most valuable OA pieces.  It's all about comic book significance.

Hence Herb Trimpe's work commanding the highest public price for panel OA for many years until now.  The reality is the OA could've been drawn by anyone good (Neal Adams, Jim Steranko) or bad (Joe Staton, Frank Robbins) and the price would've been the same because it was the first appearance of Wolverine.