• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,891 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2022 at 1:41 PM, ChillMan said:

The Flash #1 that everyone is saying is so rare now...the 1.8 that went for $84,000...I never thought it was overly rare.  Gerber 6 I think.  But that's why I only collect GA comics.  Huge potential.  I sold my 5.0 copy 6 years ago for $34K.

But...I'm not kicking myself.  I still have my best comic...that I've caught some heat for saying I think it's worth 10X the past going-rate.  I based my opinion by what sports cards are going for...and now GA key comics are following suit.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that the MF73 is worth 10x what the last auction price was, they give you heat when you suggest it is worth any of the big 4 books in value. It just isn't. The Church copy suffers from a strange print defect and slight miscut, but it's still the best copy of the book that is arguably the key book of the run (I think it's a better book than MF52, and believed so long before you got the Church copy). It suffers from the same problem as All Star 8, in that neither of the first appearances is shown on the cover. Obviously current Overstreet guide on it is incorrect, but where is its proper place? Perhaps number 10, but tough to see it climbing higher (and I'm sure Warners doesn't wish they had the publicity problem they are going to with the new film, same as with The Flash movie).

Speaking of - Flash #1 is a great book, that has probably been overlooked for far too long. It has just about the right degree of rarity (more than Bat/Cap/Supey 1s, and just behind Action 1/Tec27), the cover actually features the main hero, and it introduces a second major hero, plus two minor ones  (three minor ones if you count The Whip - who had way more GA cover appearances than Aquaman :wink: ). It came out at the end of 1939 and is one of the cornerstones of the DC Empire. I like it more than AA16 and MF52 for sure.

Edited by Crowzilla
sp

On 6/20/2022 at 8:24 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Flash 1 at almost 50k a point is well deserved.  Not as rare as it seemed 10 years ago (same as AA 16). 

I assume you mean it's MORE rare than it seemed.  10 years ago, no one considered Flash Comics #1 (1st appearance of The Flash.  First appearance of Hawkman) to even be a big deal.  No one on this board gave a sh*t about it.  They were too busy talking about Batman and cover art.  I should know...I sold my CGC 5.0 unrestored for $34K.  And everyone here said it was a good price.

On 6/21/2022 at 2:20 PM, ChillMan said:

I assume you mean it's MORE rare than it seemed.  10 years ago, no one considered Flash Comics #1 (1st appearance of The Flash.  First appearance of Hawkman) to even be a big deal.  No one on this board gave a sh*t about it.  They were too busy talking about Batman and cover art.  I should know...I sold my CGC 5.0 unrestored for $34K.  And everyone here said it was a good price.

I meant less rare.  Love this book. Owned a low grade that I bought from Filter years ago.  Had a real low number on the census then but that has increased dramatically. Plus you see more for sale these days. Cool you had a 5.0 Blue.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:20 PM, ChillMan said:

I should know...I sold my CGC 5.0 unrestored for $34K.  And everyone here said it was a good price.

Wasn't that about double guide or so for the time?  I don't understand your complaint

On 6/21/2022 at 3:20 PM, ChillMan said:

Hey Chill, I'm curious now. At that time you speak of what was considered better than Flash #1 other than the AC1,Tec27, Sup1, and Bat1? 

On 6/21/2022 at 4:39 PM, Crowzilla said:

Wasn't that about double guide or so for the time?  I don't understand your complaint

I'm not complaining.  Because I still have 2 books.

I say look ahead.  Give yourself a chance.  Young newbies...when iconic celebrities die... throw down on their current valid drivers license or passport.  It might be the 'rookie card' of celebrities in the future and worth a fortune.  I have Whitney Houston's passport that she was using.

I think my 9.6 white Church copy of More Fun Comics #31 1st printed image of Superman (4-1 on the cover; April 1) should be worth $20M lol.  My point is...there are still opportunities to give yourself a chance.  Be creative.  Don't just listen to standard advice.

On 6/21/2022 at 5:26 PM, Professor K said:

Hey Chill, I'm curious now. At that time you speak of what was considered better than Flash #1 other than the AC1,Tec27, Sup1, and Bat1? 

Everyone makes a big deal about stuff they own & like.  Several Flash #1's have sold over the last 10 years...and it has never been a big deal on here.

On 6/16/2022 at 11:12 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

2.4 mil, just amazing!

FD6805A3-BC6C-47F2-92C3-716D3C698862.jpeg

On 6/16/2022 at 12:41 PM, buttock said:
On 6/16/2022 at 12:33 PM, szav said:

Most of the OA guys are disappointed in this sale, as it was expected to easily surpass the SW8 page, which it did not. 

Sill a great price I’d say and it’s easy to write off the SW8 page as just two inexperienced unsay bidders absolute lunatics getting kind of crazy.

FTFY

Yes, I hope he meant an amazingly low price because it certainly read like the guys from the OA thread thought $2.5M would be absolutely scraping the bottom of the barrel on what was perceived to be the most iconic piece of the OA to come out from the 80's.  :(

From reading that thread , it sounded as though most of the OA boardies thought it would go for $4.5M or thereabouts, with quite a few of the OA boardies thinking it might even get as high as $7.5M.  :whatthe:

Well, I guess this is what happens when Miller does his art while in a drunken stupor and can't draw a straight centered white line, and then to top if off, misses the potty and ends up dumping his piece of black poop onto the top left hand corner of his artwork.  :facepalm:  lol

Otherwise, it could have hit 8-figures just like this piece of artwork which sold for something like $43.8M back in the pre-pandemic days of 2013:  :whatthe:  :screwy:

image.jpeg.75ba12844b2686004db14f2146b580c8.jpeg

On 6/23/2022 at 10:27 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, I hope he meant an amazingly low price because it certainly read like the guys from the OA thread thought $2.5M would be absolutely scraping the bottom of the barrel on what was perceived to be the most iconic piece of the OA to come out from the 80's.  :(

From reading that thread , it sounded as though most of the OA boardies thought it would go for $4.5M or thereabouts, with quite a few of the OA boardies thinking it might even get as high as $7.5M.  :whatthe:

I mean maybe it does sell for one of those higher amounts if the economy was more stable. People have lost a lot of money in multiple markets, and seems that’s been hitting comics across the board, because sales have slumped. Regardless of what this “should” have sold for, I mean I’m still impressed when anything sells for millions lol, and especially in this economy. But I’ll admit I’m not in the OA market. So I never would have known what this was going to sell for.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:27 PM, lou_fine said:

I never liked Frank Miller's art or writing. I know very little about the man, but whatever stories of his I read back in the 80s and 90s seemed like they were written by a misogynistic psychopath. I don't think that I've read anything of his since the 90s, and I don't particularly care to.

On 6/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess this is what happens when Miller does his art while in a drunken stupor and can't draw a straight centered white line, and then to top if off, misses the potty and ends up dumping his piece of black poop onto the top left hand corner of his artwork.  :facepalm:  lol

Otherwise, it could have hit 8-figures just like this piece of artwork which sold for something like $43.8M back in the pre-pandemic days of 2013:  :whatthe:  :screwy:

image.jpeg.75ba12844b2686004db14f2146b580c8.jpeg

I mean, it's no Rothko but I would kill to have Onement 6 hanging in my house any day of the week and if I had that sort of money, put me down for a bid :D

Not just because it is a perfect example of abstract expressionisms aim of providing some emotional impact via the most simple of shapes, but because of the wild 'flame' optical effect that happens when viewing in person due to its size/contrast/color (I had the pleasure of viewing it years back and was surprised by the optical 'fire' effect - not something reproducible with online images). One of the few larger pieces I've ever viewed that stuck with me.

Like many comics greats over the years, if you were reading them as they came out, at the same time you were reading other comics in your piles those days, it was clear that these artists and writers were tapping into some new vein, or style with the same old characters that were handed to them. 

if their careers eventually included average work or even bad work later, that doesn’t diminish their impact in our eyes. A little disappointment maybe but that’s it. But if the lesser work was what you read first it might. 

On 6/24/2022 at 6:10 AM, I am not Glenda said:

To each his own but having grown up with Miller in the 1980s, I can say his vision of DD, Batman & even Sin City impacted comics like very few people before or after him, at the time DD hit most comics had become so............predictable ( there are exceptions) I can still remember buying DD # 181 off the rack at 7/11 and didn't make it home to read it, just sat down on the curb with my Laffy Taffy, cold Pepsi and Miller greatness.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:54 PM, Aman619 said:

Like many comics greats over the years, if you were reading them as they came out, at the same time you were reading other comics in your piles those days, it was clear that these artists and writers were tapping into some new vein, or style with the same old characters that were handed to them. 

When it comes to Miller, most collectors tend to talk about his Dark Knight series and his first run on Daredevil.  hm

To each their own, but from my own personal point of view though, I tended to prefer Batman Year One over Dark Knight and save for Elektra's introduction in DD 168, always thought his later Born Again storyline was better than his first run on Daredevil.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

On 6/25/2022 at 4:05 AM, lou_fine said:

To each their own, but from my own personal point of view though, I tended to prefer Batman Year One over Dark Knight and save for Elektra's introduction in DD 168, always thought his later Born Again storyline was better than his first run on Daredevil.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

Same for me on both accounts. 

On 6/18/2022 at 12:05 AM, Cat-Man_America said:
On 6/17/2022 at 8:53 PM, RareHighGrade said:

That same copy went for $11,350 in 2013.  I find today's result to be shocking, especially for such a high demand book.

There's good reasoning behind your observation, although this may be an outlier since there are at least two other graded 8.0 copies (not to mention several higher graded copies) competing for speculator bucks.

With respect to the Phantom Lady's and possible outliers, I tend to think time will eventually show us the biggest one will be the CGC 9.6 graded Promise Copy of PL 17 at something like $456K or whatever it was.  It's going to take a long time for the marketplace to cartch up to that parabolic price point .  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Especially since the slightly lower CGC 9.4 graded Phantom Lady copy of PL17 appeared to be a superior looking copy from a strict visual condition point of view, without having the actual book in hand.  hm  (shrug)