• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 6/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, szav said:

There were a lot of very strong, even crazy prices still ... however it was the first auction in a long time where anything at all seemed to fall through the cracks, and you could easily point to several books that did really poorly.

For example, while this copy might be a bit overgraded, and the 23 in the upper right could turn some off, another 8.0 went for $18,000 just two months ago.  Can't read too much into one data point, or even the results from one entire auction, but I think the cracks are starting to show overall.

image.png.d25a1366c42c37082881c237bc1863ee.png

It seems like golden age in general is doing very well, and the silver/bronze craze is what’s tapered off some. 

On 6/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, szav said:

There were a lot of very strong, even crazy prices still ... however it was the first auction in a long time where anything at all seemed to fall through the cracks, and you could easily point to several books that did really poorly.

For example, while this copy might be a bit overgraded, and the 23 in the upper right could turn some off, another 8.0 went for $18,000 just two months ago.  Can't read too much into one data point, or even the results from one entire auction, but I think the cracks are starting to show overall.

image.png.d25a1366c42c37082881c237bc1863ee.png

That same copy went for $11,350 in 2013.  I find today's result to be shocking, especially for such a high demand book.

On 6/17/2022 at 10:53 PM, RareHighGrade said:

That same copy went for $11,350 in 2013.  I find today's result to be shocking, especially for such a high demand book.

There's good reasoning behind your observation, although this may be an outlier since there are at least two other graded 8.0 copies (not to mention several higher graded copies) competing for speculator bucks.  An 8.0 falls just below high grade and there are quite a few lower grade copies vying for collector's attention.  Also, this isn't one of the more spectacular PL covers (IMO).  I'm leaning toward the earlier realized hammer price from 2013 being the outlier.  If this were one of the best PL covers, then I'd be concerned about this low-ball result being part of a trend.  Still, it looks like someone got a pretty good deal and the owner took a noteworthy loss. hm

On 6/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, Robot Man said:

Lots of GA is still quite rare…

Sorry, just meant in general as I didn't see much in my home town at the time. Then I went to my first big show in Chicago and my mind was fully blown. You are absolutely correct though, there are many rare GA books out there! Case in point.. I spent over a decade trying to find a US Jones 2 only to never see a single copy for sale. There have been a few copies recently auctioned likely due to the tremendous price increases, but it's still incredibly rare.

On 6/17/2022 at 2:19 PM, Dark Knight said:

I know that Age of Comics sold a Flash #1 4.5 copy for $120k this year at Wondercon.  That was a steal! I should've jumped on it lol.

if mine were a 4.5 and i was selling, my response would have been "good day, sir!" followed by a "i said good day!" to $120,000!

Edited by circumstances