• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2022 at 10:41 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I want that shirt!!!

Probably a Nudie shirt.

https://groovyhistory.com/nudie-suits-gram-parsons-photo-gallery/3

On 8/19/2022 at 3:19 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, maybe somebdy needs to assure that he gets a couple more copies into his personal collection which he also wouldn't be able to sell then.  :devil:

Maybe he plans to buy all of the 9.2, 9.4, and 9.6 copies and send in the labels so that he can sell all 10 of his 9.0 copies as tied-for-highest-graded copies. lol

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/21/2022 at 11:44 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Maybe he plans to buy all of the 9.2, 9.4, and 9.6 copies and send in the labels so that he can sell all 10 of his 9.0 copies as tied-for-highest graded. lol

Well, if it's a 10-pack of the same book, then he's probably trying for the CGC 10-pack grade guarantee special of 1 CGC 10.0, 3 CGC 9.9, and 6 CGC 9.8 that they are talking about over on the General Forum.  lol  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

On 8/19/2022 at 2:29 PM, Dark Knight said:

Yeah I saw that. I believe I know who is bidding up these books... he's been well known to create fake large sales before so this was no surprise given he is holding 2 FF5's in 9.4 I believe and can't sell em for his unrealistic sky high price. 

My buddy was looking for an FF5 and a guy with a 9.4 told him he turned down $225K for a copy. Wonder if this is the same person of whom you are speaking?

On 8/21/2022 at 7:20 PM, Crowzilla said:

My buddy was looking for an FF5 and a guy with a 9.4 told him he turned down $225K for a copy. Wonder if this is the same person of whom you are speaking?

Possibly, certainly fits the profile. I believe he is asking $290k for one of his 9.4 copies. 

On 8/23/2022 at 9:35 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I could have sworn that Heritage was recently posting the grading notes for the books they were auctioning.  But now the notes are no longer there.  Too bad, I thought that was a very appealing new feature that further set HA apart from the competition.

I just took a quick look and as far as I can see, the Grader Notes are right there at the bottom of the Lot Description spiel that they have:  :gossip:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/action-comics-13-dc-1939-cgc-fn-55-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7279-92016.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

CGC Grader Notes:
crease right bottom of front cover
multiple staple tear
split bottom of spine

Now, that was the notes which they have for the Action 13 that's coming up in their September Signature Auction.  (thumbsu

On 8/23/2022 at 10:04 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Thanks Lou, I see now that you are correct.  When I made my post, I was looking at a listing that for some reason lacks the grader notes:

Detective Comics #16 Billy Wright Pedigree (DC, 1938) CGC FN/VF 7.0 | Lot #92061 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

That's most likely because if you click onto that link to "View The CGC Certification" at the bottom of the Lot Description, you'll see the following: :gossip:

Grader Notes
Unavailable

Not sure why, but for some apparent reason, looks like the Graders simply didn't make any notes at all when grading this book.  I guess this is why they say the Graders Notes does not necessarily list all of the defects associated with a particular book.  :(

On 8/24/2022 at 3:31 AM, lou_fine said:

That's most likely because if you click onto that link to "View The CGC Certification" at the bottom of the Lot Description, you'll see the following: :gossip:

Grader Notes
Unavailable

Not sure why, but for some apparent reason, looks like the Graders simply didn't make any notes at all when grading this book.  I guess this is why they say the Graders Notes does not necessarily list all of the defects associated with a particular book.  :(

That seems to be common. The graders' notes are not all inclusive.

I had always thought that they would note rust on the staples—they used to note that on the label!—but apparently they don't do so consistently because I've seen quite a few books lately with noticeable staple rust and no mention of it in the notes.

I'm noticing more and more books with rusty staples. I'm wondering whether books that were pressed 12 or 13 years ago now have rusty staples because of the humidity that the books were exposed to during the pressing process. The humidity could be a catalyst for the rust to start. It could also just be because the books are getting older and time is taking its toll.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:42 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I had always thought that they would note rust on the staples—they used to note that on the label!—but apparently they don't do so consistently because I've seen quite a few books lately with noticeable staple rust and no mention of it in the notes.

I'm noticing more and more books with rusty staples. I'm wondering whether books that were pressed 12 or 13 years ago now have rusty staples because of the humidity that the books were exposed to during the pressing process. The humidity could be a catalyst for the rust to start. It could also just be because the books are getting older and time is taking its toll.

The staple rust could also be a by-product of the storage of slabbed books. I’m not sure how many collectors are aware of the staple rust issue involved with  certain fireproof safes.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:42 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

That's an interesting theory that I hadn't heard before, but which seems plausible.  Someone should do a study.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:42 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Where are you seeing them? I am in the hot, humid south and I'm not noticing any more than normal here, but I don't get out much.

On a related note, I am seeing more books with grass-hopper, cricket and silver-fish chews. Probably a harbinger of the impending plague.

On 8/24/2022 at 5:53 PM, MrBedrock said:

On a related note, I am seeing more books with grass-hopper, cricket and silver-fish chews. Probably a harbinger of the impending plague.

I'm seeing these buggers in NYC in larger numbers, but I don't think it's comics they're after (:

3000.jpeg.jpg

On 8/23/2022 at 9:35 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I could have sworn that Heritage was recently posting the grading notes for the books they were auctioning.  But now the notes are no longer there.  Too bad, I thought that was a very appealing new feature that further set HA apart from the competition.

I did see that yesterday will have to look now. still there. Batman #1 (DC, 1940) CGC VG- 3.5 Off-white to white pages.... | Lot #91035 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Edited by woowoo

On 8/24/2022 at 7:42 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Maybe the graders are just getting rusty. hm

On 8/24/2022 at 11:24 AM, IngelsFan said:

The staple rust could also be a by-product of the storage of slabbed books. I’m not sure how many collectors are aware of the staple rust issue involved with  certain fireproof safes.

This topic has been discussed in other threads.  While the operative word is "certain" it's always a good idea to research safe manufacturers and avoid older, cheaper safes that may have known issues. Data grade is probably the best suited for paper collectibles in the event of a fire.  Also, when storing paper collectibles in a sealed location where moisture might accumulate, it's advisable to monitor temperature and humidity periodically, with desiccant packs to lower humidity.

On 8/24/2022 at 4:01 PM, RareHighGrade said:

That's an interesting theory that I hadn't heard before, but which seems plausible.  Someone should do a study.

Peter, this would be a very complicated study to conduct using scientific methods, but it's a great idea nonetheless.  

Without getting into the minutiae, for consistencies sake one would need a sizable stack of older comics to start with (preferably all the same), some books would need to be pressed and graded, some just graded and others kept raw as a control group.  Then all the books would have to be stored in the same environment and staples examined for changes periodically over months & years.  

West Stephan's Catman Comics #28 collection would be purrrfectly suited for this grand experiment, but something tells me he'd be reluctant to volunteer.  :fear:

On 8/25/2022 at 6:55 AM, comicjack said:

Halloween sales thread coming up has really good stuff in it :bigsmile:

Well, I just checked them out. There are plenty of low-to-mid-grade raw books. There aren't too many high grade books in the mix, though. I do like to buy some raw books in that grade range so I can enjoy the interiors. (I used to read every book that I bought back when comics were far less expensive.)