• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,854 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2022 at 11:46 AM, lou_fine said:

With respect to the Phantom Lady's and possible outliers, I tend to think time will eventually show us the biggest one will be the CGC 9.6 graded Promise Copy of PL 17 at something like $456K or whatever it was.  It's going to take a long time for the marketplace to cartch up to that parabolic price point .  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Especially since the slightly lower CGC 9.4 graded Phantom Lady copy of PL17 appeared to be a superior looking copy from a strict visual condition point of view, without having the actual book in hand.  hm  (shrug)

True, the $64,000 question (in 2022 dollars and "sense") may be which promise matters most, the pedigree label or accepted validity of the grade opinion. 

On 6/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, Aman619 said:

if their careers eventually included average work or even bad work later, that doesn’t diminish their impact in our eyes. A little disappointment maybe but that’s it. But if the lesser work was what you read first it might. 

I think in this art form or any other there are creative HIGH POINTS. Kirby, Adams, Miller, Byrne, Ditko, Romita, McFarlane or any artist/writer in this hobby have there creative period where everything is just hitting on all cylinders & for me what they have done later on really never detracts from the impact of what they did during that period. I mean lets be honest by the 1980s Kirby and Ditko are pretty FUBAR but both will always be Legends.............................. regardless of Captain Universe or Destroyer Duck. 

On 7/11/2022 at 10:54 PM, Professor K said:

Yikes. Only 5 higher on the #5 and the #8 is tied with one other for highest graded. Those two books in grades like this only come around like twice per decade.

True. I'm surprised that two 9.2s are tied for the highest grade for the #8, though. I would not have guessed that considering how common the issue is.

On 7/12/2022 at 12:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

True. I'm surprised that two 9.2s are tied for the highest grade for the #8, though. I would not have guessed that considering how common the issue is.

I was too. I did some research and here are some weird stats--  Of Batman's issues 1-9 there are1,552 Blue labels but only 11 books higher than 9.2 , including the 9.4 Bat 1. that's only .7%

I thought Bat 8 was a more common issue also but there are only 141 Blue labels which is less than any issue up to issue 44, beside issues 1 and 2 which have about 10 less each. 

And every year the most stolen or shoplifted book is The Bible. :shiftyeyes:

Edited by Professor K
Less not More

On 7/12/2022 at 8:18 PM, Professor K said:

I was too. I did some research and here are some weird stats--  Of Batman's issues 1-9 there are1,552 Blue labels but only 11 books higher than 9.2 , including the 9.4 Bat 1. that's only .7%

I thought Bat 8 was a more common issue also but there are only 141 Blue labels which is less than any issue up to issue 44, beside issues 1 and 2 which have about 10 more each. 

And every year the most stolen or shoplifted book is The Bible. :shiftyeyes:

I think that many of the nicest copies of those early Batmans made their way into top-notch second-owner collections years ago and haven't been slabbed. Dave Anderson's copies are probably among the nicest of most issues, of course.

I was also surprised by how many PLODs are out there for Bats #5 and Bats #9. It looks like around 20% of the slabbed copies are restored.

On 7/13/2022 at 12:38 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I was also surprised by how many PLODs are out there for Bats #5 and Bats #9. It looks like around 20% of the slabbed copies are restored.

Back in the early 90's restoration was promoted as an improvement to a book. both aesthetically and financially. Overstreet even published a few graphs showing how to use certain processes to increase value. It seemed as if it were there to stay, ... and then the wind shifted. GOD BLESS... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 7/20/2022 at 3:21 PM, jimjum12 said:

Back in the early 90's restoration was promoted as an improvement to a book. both aesthetically and financially. Overstreet even published a few graphs showing how to use certain processes to increase value. It seemed as if it were there to stay, ... and then the wind shifted. GOD BLESS... 

I remember that, but I wouldn't have thought that those books were valuable enough back then to have been candidates for restoration that frequently. If the restoration is mostly simple stuff like cleaning of the cover and sealing of spine splits, then I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.

On 7/20/2022 at 3:29 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

I remember that, but I wouldn't have thought that those books were valuable enough back then to have been candidates for restoration that frequently. If the restoration is mostly simple stuff like cleaning of the cover and sealing of spine splits, then I guess it shouldn't be too surprising.

Most of the collectors who had that material had no more than 5 or 10 bucks in the books, so adding another 50 wasn't so burdensome .... I did shows back then and there were a lot of buyers looking for books with resto potential .... I remember a totally thrashed ASM 1 a guy turned into a VG ... nice work too. I was a "Fine" collector back then.... and wasn't as picky as I am now. GOD BLESS.... 

Edited by jimjum12

There appears to be a real rush to the exits in the upcoming Signature Auction.  Not GA, but in the previews I just counted 4 issues of JLA #1 in 8.5, 8.0, 8.0 and 7.0, respectively, and 3 issues of JLA #2 in 9.6, 9.4 and 9.4. 

I guess a desire to get out while the gettin's good overcomes fears of cannibalization. 

On 7/28/2022 at 8:10 AM, tth2 said:

There appears to be a real rush to the exits in the upcoming Signature Auction.  Not GA, but in the previews I just counted 4 issues of JLA #1 in 8.5, 8.0, 8.0 and 7.0, respectively, and 3 issues of JLA #2 in 9.6, 9.4 and 9.4. 

I guess a desire to get out while the gettin's good overcomes fears of cannibalization. 

Actually, nothing compared to the five copies of Daredevil #1:

9.6, 9.6, 9.2, 9.0, 8.5

I don't know why, but this image suddenly comes to mind.

YARN | Sell SELL | Trading Places (1983) | Video clips by quotes | 2045fb4e  | 紗