• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,896 posts in this topic

On 3/20/2023 at 12:19 PM, Professor K said:

Once you scroll through the 50 or so Spidey books it's not that bad. 

lol That's my exact same feeling!

Also Avengers, FF and X-Men. 

On 3/19/2023 at 9:28 PM, tth2 said:
On 3/19/2023 at 9:19 PM, Professor K said:

Once you scroll through the 50 or so Spidey books it's not that bad. 

Well, with these Sunday auctions, just skip through all of the non-GA Marvel and DC pages and you'll be done just like that since there's no point wasting time on books that will show up in virtually every single weekend auction ad infinitum.  :p

On 3/20/2023 at 12:26 AM, tth2 said:

I always wondered why people submitted low value low grade SA and BA books to CGC in the first place.  Did they not know how to grade, or did they just feel like making a charitable donation to CGC?  I see so many books where the submitter must've lost money just on the grading fees alone, even if they bought the book off the newsstand.  

I think that all the time. We see so many low grade especially Silver and Bronze, more and more every day. Why are they paying to grade common non key or minor key books that are obviously going to come back low or mid grade and have a selling value of no more or even less than if they were raw. I'll never get it. With low grade books older than say 1960 or thereabout I can see getting them slabbed for conservation if that's what they want. 

On 3/20/2023 at 12:28 AM, tth2 said:

:cheers:

On 3/20/2023 at 12:53 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, with these Sunday auctions, just skip through all of the non-GA Marvel and DC pages and you'll be done just like that since there's no point wasting time on books that will show up in virtually every single weekend auction ad infinitum.  :p

The first thing I thought of when I saw there were separating ages is that by grouping together the Gold by itself it may bring more attention to them and create more interest in them followed by higher prices. I guess that's good for some but there's still a lot of books I want showing up all the time and the competition is already insane. Honestly these things are addicting.  On the other hand by separating era's maybe the Silver and newer collectors won't even see the Gold this way. Out of sight out of mind. 

Edited by Professor K

On 3/19/2023 at 8:49 PM, lou_fine said:

Now I can see why they were looking to hire more graders of their own because it seems that an overwhelming portion of their books for these Sunday 3-day auctions are now raw as they are probably not worthwile to send in for CGC certification.  (shrug)  :p

I imagine some of their consignors are willing to give them their nicer books for consignment, but only on the condition that they also take all of their other crapola books and I imagine the Heritage warehouse must be filling up to the point of almost exploding by now.  lol

I don't think I've ever bought a raw book from Heritage that I was truly happy with.  Tanning int covers, bad pq, splits pulls etc., issues I'd normally pass on.  You never know for sure what you're going to get until it's in hand.  There's no defect descriptions unless there's something major like detached cover.  But I keep chasing the dream- I see a book on my want list, looks "good for the grade", I bid up "just a bit" over my max, get it in the mail... heartbreak.   It's like buying trading cards in the old days, the wrapper looks great, but you don't know what you've really bought till you open it up- all doubles, or triples...

Actually I've bought several raw low grade jungle & fantastic & fight readers from cgc just for the Fletcher Hanks art- which I'm plenty happy with, so there's that.

Edited by Black Bat

On 3/19/2023 at 11:08 PM, comicnoir said:

Then again, as some boardies such as @buttock, @drbanner, @Courageous Cat,etc. might say here.............and at times Heritage is just the absolute WORST place and WORST auction platform to sell your GA goodies.  Sometimes Heritage is just an absolute crapshoot. (:  lol

A drop from $3,960 all the way down to only $360 or a beatdown of over 90% in just 5 short months for the EXACT SAME copy.  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/19/2023 at 11:27 PM, lou_fine said:

Then again, as some boardies such as @buttock, @drbanner, @Courageous Cat,etc. might say here.............and at times Heritage is just the absolute WORST place to sell your GA goodies.  (:  lol

A drop from $3,960 all the way down to only $360 or a beatdown of over 90% in just 5 short months for the EXACT SAME copy.  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

I don't get how this book sold for $3,960 to begin with, it's a 5.5, is this a special issue?  Seems sketchy.  

There's a 6.5 tied for highest graded in the next signature auction at $24 right now.  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/kaanga-comics-8-fiction-house-1951-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7339-94117.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Black Bat

On 3/19/2023 at 11:40 PM, Black Bat said:

There's a 6.5 tied for highest graded in the next signature auction at $24 right now.

I'll take it.  :takeit:

No, better not now that I think about..........at this rate it just might be down to cover price or less by the end of this year.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/20/2023 at 2:10 AM, Black Bat said:

I don't think I've ever bought a raw book from Heritage that I was truly happy with.  Tanning int covers, bad pq, splits pulls etc., issues I'd normally pass on.  You never know for sure what you're going to get until it's in hand.  There's no defect descriptions unless there's something major like detached cover.  But I keep chasing the dream- I see a book on my want list, looks "good for the grade", I bid up "just a bit" over my max, get it in the mail... heartbreak.   It's like buying trading cards in the old days, the wrapper looks great, but you don't know what you've really bought till you open it up- all doubles, or triples...

Actually I've bought several raw low grade jungle & fantastic & fight readers from cgc just for the Fletcher Hanks art- which I'm plenty happy with, so there's that.

That's interesting. I never bought a raw book from them. I didn't really find Heritage until around 2010. But I think there must have been some great deals to be had in the old days on Heritage with raw books. Someone recently posted a pic of a  raw Weird Mystery 4 they won in 2006 for 89.00. In a 7.0 slab now and worth 30,000. 

I’m sure we’re seeing more raws in the auctions as a result of the lag at CGC between submission and graded return. Goes against the conspiracy theory that HA has a back door to CGC.  (shrug)

Personally, in the last few years I won a raw that had an undisclosed married pin up.  The volume/dollars has been incredible so it’s not surprising that details are missed in their haste. 

On 3/20/2023 at 6:28 AM, ThothAmon said:

I’m sure we’re seeing more raws in the auctions as a result of the lag at CGC between submission and graded return. Goes against the conspiracy theory that HA has a back door to CGC.  (shrug)

Personally, in the last few years I won a raw that had an undisclosed married pin up.  The volume/dollars has been incredible so it’s not surprising that details are missed in their haste. 

I have heard that turnaround times have improved a lot lately.

Could it be that prices for ungraded books could be surging as people hope for a deal or present suprise? Sure would save them a lot of time and money and be able to process and sell quicker. With trying to hire graders, seems like they could be heading that way. 

On 3/20/2023 at 10:48 AM, Robot Man said:

I have heard that turnaround times have improved a lot lately.

Could it be that prices for ungraded books could be surging as people hope for a deal or present suprise? Sure would save them a lot of time and money and be able to process and sell quicker. With trying to hire graders, seems like they could be heading that way. 

I don't think turnaround times have ever been an issue for books that Heritage submits to CGC, they go to the front of the line no matter the tier. Worst-kept secret in the hobby. :shy:

It would impact books they receive on consignment, obviously, but the other thing is that the lower prices we're seeing for graded books and the ever-increasing grading fees have simply made it cost-prohibitive to submit a ton of books that were cost-effective to submit in 2020 and 2021 in the middle of the big price increases.

On 3/19/2023 at 11:36 PM, Professor K said:

I think that all the time. We see so many low grade especially Silver and Bronze, more and more every day. Why are they paying to grade common non key or minor key books that are obviously going to come back low or mid grade and have a selling value of no more or even less than if they were raw. I'll never get it. With low grade books older than say 1960 or thereabout I can see getting them slabbed for conservation if that's what they want. 

:cheers:

The first thing I thought of when I saw there were separating ages is that by grouping together the Gold by itself it may bring more attention to them and create more interest in them followed by higher prices. I guess that's good for some but there's still a lot of books I want showing up all the time and the competition is already insane. Honestly these things are addicting.  On the other hand by separating era's maybe the Silver and newer collectors won't even see the Gold this way. Out of sight out of mind. 

Small sample of low grade stuff you find on LiveAuctioneers

5CF8DEBF-57B3-4146-85D1-EB4F6162A11E.jpeg

On 3/20/2023 at 9:16 AM, tth2 said:

I would add that the prices paid for raw books on Heritage have been so aggressive that you might as well just consign them raw and save yourself the grading fees.  Bidders seem to be assuming that the books will definitely grade out as advertised and have been bidding accordingly.

The last raw I bought off Heritage - a mid-grade Vault of Horror #39  - turned out to have undisclosed restoration. Definitely not as advertised. :tonofbricks: