• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

507 posts in this topic

I actually forgot that Sandman was released last night. I went to watch Prey first and then remembered about it. I was worried that I would disappointed given how much I liked Prey, but luckily it's not the case. Can't wait to watch the rest!

Just watched #1 tonight.  Gotta pace myself and all. 

I think if you liked the graphic novel you should like this a lot.  Really nothing to complain about.  Very well done.  Haven't read the reviews that didn't like it, but I have to imagine they come mostly from people unfamiliar with the source material.  

On 8/5/2022 at 9:17 PM, Axelrod said:

Haven't read the reviews that didn't like it, but I have to imagine they come mostly from people unfamiliar with the source material.  

yes, the two I read seemed to think there was stuff readers would know that was not conveyed in the show...like the nature of the 3 items or how certain things work. Dream being enigmatic and lacking engagement was mentioned a swll. Like you imply, both things readers would not be bothered by but critics may see as lacking when in fact the info is never explicitly stated.

I'll watch soon myself and report back. It wiould have to really stink for me to dislike it, I love the previews. I hope it does well but also do not want to see new material, I want a faithful adaptation storywise.

Just finished ep1. Well done for sure but my jury is out.

I prefer the comic book so far.

I really can't see people loving this who are unfamiliar with the source, can't see any longevity in it.

We'll see.

On 8/5/2022 at 10:02 PM, Bird said:

I hope it does well but also do not want to see new material, I want a faithful adaptation storywise.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the changes they did make.  I obviously won't spoil anything.  

On 8/5/2022 at 8:24 PM, GG © ® ™---Paul said:

I really can't see people loving this who are unfamiliar with the source, can't see any longevity in it.

We'll see.

Streamed 3 episodes so far. Like how they are introducing comic related heroes (Constantine), HoS, HoM, the gargoyle and UK villains. Bit slow as show rolls out the 'Sandman' universe of Endless characters and powers with no car chases or quick USA-style editing. Enjoyable: 8/10.

On 8/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, GG © ® ™---Paul said:

Just finished ep1. Well done for sure but my jury is out.

I prefer the comic book so far.

We'll see.

I really think a straight up adaption would not work. People well familiar with the comics would get bored and/or nitpick it to death. Also, there's far too much material to be faithful, what if the show never gets past a few years? 

Better to adapt it to some extent, change things up a bit and try to appeal to a bigger demographic besides just comic nerds. 

Episode 5 requires patience to see the story through to the end. But when it does end, it turns into a satisfying experience.

Episode 6 is the most emotional to me with the story of Death/death. And the 100 year meetings with Hob Gadling. Which I enjoyed. 

Even with some of the changes, so much of what I thoroughly loved about the Sandman stories. To include the slow spots to revisit human history and motives.

:cloud9:

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/6/2022 at 3:07 AM, Bosco685 said:

Yes

I read it’s a new character 

On 8/6/2022 at 5:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

Episode 5 requires patience to see the story through to the end. But when it does end, it turns into a satisfying experience.

This is where I stopped last night, I thought I was watching a different show

i can see why the critics who liked the show and why I liked the comic back then, this is an intelligent/serious show/comic, from a lot of the stuff that’s out. Great job

On 8/6/2022 at 3:06 AM, Lpgk said:

I really think a straight up adaption would not work. People well familiar with the comics would get bored and/or nitpick it to death. Also, there's far too much material to be faithful, what if the show never gets past a few years? 

Better to adapt it to some extent, change things up a bit and try to appeal to a bigger demographic besides just comic nerds. 

In addition 30+ years have passed, you have to modernize it a bit to make it somewhat relevant regarding some parts of the story. I think the changes have worked and while many will roll their eyes at the Constantine change, I thought she was wonderful and captured the characters spirit perfectly (far more than Keanu or that other person who’s played him)

Edited by jsilverjanet

On 8/6/2022 at 7:57 AM, jsilverjanet said:

:applause:

Coleman's Johanna Constantine is based on both the original character and Lady Johanna Constantine, who was introduced in Gaiman's comic book series (more on all of that in a minute).

On 8/6/2022 at 4:06 AM, Lpgk said:

They tried it in certain scenes and then did the right thing to adjust when it didn't play out effectively.

We binged through episode 6 last night and I'm very pleased.  My expectations were about as high as they've been for any adaptation from comic books or Neil's work and I will say each of the first 6 episodes either met or exceeded expectations.  There is a small flaw here and there, but given the change in mediums and bringing it up to current day interpretation, I think it has been very well done and will please fans of the original series.  Cannot wait to finish the other 4 episodes tonight, then go back and watch all of it again in a week or so after my mind has had time to unwind and reprocess everything.