• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN on Netflix (TBD)
7 7

507 posts in this topic

Agreed on the expectations high and walking in thinking I’d be disappointed it has not been the case

i think they did extremely well based on what they had to work with (it’s very hard to get on screen)

In my mind it will always be better but this comes pretty close 

On 8/6/2022 at 10:10 AM, jsilverjanet said:

Agreed on the expectations high and walking in thinking I’d be disappointed it has not been the case

i think they did extremely well based on what they had to work with (it’s very hard to get on screen)

In my mind it will always be better but this comes pretty close 

I really enjoyed the first episode - more than I thought I would. I really don't think the show can capture what I get out of the comics but that doesn't mean that it still can't be a great show.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

I actually found it difficult to get through the first episode.  I'll keep watching, and I imagine things will liven up quite a bit once Death and Matthew the Raven appear on the scene.  After all, Dream is intentionally a monotonous, unsympathetic protagonist, so he needs someone there to react to his oh-so-straight man schtick.  

The other problem is the comic is really about storytelling itself.  And film-- even moreso than comics-- is the show, don't tell medium.  Hard to imagine this series will do more visually for the dreamscape than movies like Inception have done. So we're left with the more cerebral and/or verbal approach, which can be hard to translate to film. 

On 8/6/2022 at 1:18 PM, Zonker said:

I actually found it difficult to get through the first episode.  I'll keep watching, and I imagine things will liven up quite a bit once Death and Matthew the Raven appear on the scene.  After all, Dream is intentionally a monotonous, unsympathetic protagonist, so he needs someone there to react to his oh-so-straight man schtick.  

The other problem is the comic is really about storytelling itself.  And film-- even moreso than comics-- is the show, don't tell medium.  Hard to imagine this series will do more visually for the dreamscape than movies like Inception have done. So we're left with the more cerebral and/or verbal approach, which can be hard to translate to film. 

I like what you have said here and agree. It is with a strip like this that I am in awe of what comics  have to offer and that - I feel - can't be replicated in another medium. For many, comics are nothing more than story boards but I can't imagine anything being further from the truth. That being said, I am curious to see what this medium can do with such a rich story and hopefully play to it's own strengths.

With the Warner Bros. TV symbol in the beginning I was wondering what their involvement is.

‘Sandman’ TV Series From Neil Gaiman, David Goyer — With Huge Price Tag — a Go at Netflix

Sources say Warners, which controls the IP, took the Sandman TV pitch to multiple outlets, including corporate sibling HBO. The premium cable network did not make a play for the series, given the massive price tag attached (and likely number of other big world shows in the works), and Netflix snapped it up as the streamer continues to make an active play for massive IP that could be turned into subscriber-friendly franchises a la Amazon’s Lord of the Rings and HBO’s Game of Thrones.

The Sandman deal will provide a financial windfall to Warners, which is in final negotiations for a new film and TV pact with J.J. Abrams that could be worth north of $500 million. Sources note that the studio opted to sell it to a third party in a bid to bring additional revenue to the company rather than placing it at its forthcoming streaming service. 

What a shame a major Vertigo character could not get the backing of a WB-owned HBO due to the budget. doh!

On 8/6/2022 at 1:18 PM, Zonker said:

Feeling the same after watching the 1st episode.  I'll add the green screen didn't help as I thought it some of scenes made it obvious the actors were in front of one.

On 8/6/2022 at 10:04 AM, Jayman said:

Up to episode 4 but have to say episode 2, showcasing two of my beloved BA horror hosts Cain & Abel was wonderfully surreal to see onscreen! Adding in Gregory and Goldie was like a dream come true (pun intended)! :golfclap:

When they asked if he would like to discuss things in the House of Mystery or the House of Secrets!!! I was literally like no they didn't! So fun to see and hear that.

finished it!... I'll start by saying i never read the series... really wasn't my bag.... but i am familiar with most of the characters... i enjoyed it... the entire series was a slow burn... but kept you interested in what was coming next... the character changes that were made were fine... as stated cain and able were good... Death was handled great... the changes with Constantine I really didn't get ... but it had zero impact from my point of view... lots of interesting and thought-provoking stuff going on... watch and enjoy! :applause:

On 8/6/2022 at 3:35 PM, Bosco685 said:

With the Warner Bros. TV symbol in the beginning I was wondering what their involvement is.

‘Sandman’ TV Series From Neil Gaiman, David Goyer — With Huge Price Tag — a Go at Netflix

What a shame a major Vertigo character could not get the backing of a WB-owned HBO due to the budget. doh!

Based on recent moves by the new leadership, does this mean more focus on movies and less on DCEU streaming for HBO Max? Or, a shift back to 60s Batman style action scenes and special effects due to low budgets?

Finished episode 5 myself last night and I'm loving it, I can't even remember the books it's been that long ago since I read them so it's good going into this with no expectations. I'll watch a few more tonight.

On 8/7/2022 at 5:00 AM, Boozad said:

Finished episode 5 myself last night and I'm loving it, I can't even remember the books it's been that long ago since I read them so it's good going into this with no expectations. I'll watch a few more tonight.

Wait until you get through 6.

:popcorn:

On 8/7/2022 at 10:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

Wait until you get through 6.

:popcorn:

It sounds like a right ride to be honest, I thought episode 5 was brilliant so if it tops that I'm in for a treat!