• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's FANTASTIC FOUR (TBD)
8 8

1,132 posts in this topic

Wow...Bardem. It'll be interesting to see what he would do with Galactus.  He was just awesome as a villain in Skyfall, and I rank his villain from "No Country For Old Men" as the third-best villain performance ever behind Ledger's Joker and Hopkins's Hannibal Lecter. 

My first thought is I wish they had saved Bardem for someone more complexly crazy than Galactus.  But who knows, maybe his take on the character could end up being uniquely great.  hm

Whatever Happened to Peyton Reed’s ‘Fantastic Four’?

• Peyton Reed's abandoned Fantastic Four pitch would have been a 60s period piece, similar to A Hard Day's Night.
  •  Reed's Ant-Man films carry elements from his Fantastic Four pitch, emphasizing dysfunctional family dynamics and superhero bonds.

“I was a huge Marvel fan when I was a kid and knew ‘Fantastic Four’ inside out and felt they were always the crown jewel of Marvel. So I went in and got [hired for] the movie and I developed it for the better part of a year with three different sets of writers," Reed told Yahoo in 2015 when describing his initial vision. He further elaborated on his pitch during a Collider screening of Ant-Man and the Wasp, and confirmed that the film would have been a period piece. "One of the big ideas was a set-in-the-'60s thing that at the time was structurally gonna be basically like [The Beatles' 1964 comedy-musical] A Hard Day's Night, where we were not going to even deal with the origin story." Ultimately, Reed ended up departing the project as he felt that he and Fox had "a very different movie in mind," which led to the Story-helmed films.

Reed would eventually get his shot at directing a Marvel film with the Ant-Man trilogy. It turns out that Reed used elements of his Fantastic Four pitch throughout the Ant-Man films, most notably in Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. "I grew up loving Fantastic Four, and then I found myself directing the Ant-Man family, and there are similarities. They are kind of a dysfunctional family of superheroes in the Marvel Universe. And, you know, in Fantastic Four, they would go into the Negative Zone, and here it’s the Quantum Realm," Reed told Den of Geek. Producer Stephen Broussard shared those sentiments, adding, "“I’d like to think that [Reed] kind of poured everything he liked about [the Fantastic Four] into this. This became his family Marvel superhero story, and that’s no secret. It’s absolutely there.”

On 2/16/2024 at 8:56 AM, fantastic_four said:

Wow...Bardem. It'll be interesting to see what he would do with Galactus.  He was just awesome as a villain in Skyfall, and I rank his villain from "No Country For Old Men" as the third-best villain performance ever behind Ledger's Joker and Hopkins's Hannibal Lecter. 

My first thought is I wish they had saved Bardem for someone more complexly crazy than Galactus.  But who knows, maybe his take on the character could end up being uniquely great.  hm

DDL's Bill the Butcher is up there as well...

On 2/20/2024 at 4:15 PM, AGGIEZ said:

DDL's Bill the Butcher is up there as well...

Is that villain performance better than DDL as Daniel Plainview?  hm

On 2/21/2024 at 9:06 AM, PopKulture said:
On 2/21/2024 at 7:22 AM, fantastic_four said:

Is that villain performance better than DDL as Daniel Plainview?  hm

No.

Could be, but why?

I think I fell asleep halfway through Gangs of New York and never fully paid enough attention to the last half of the film, so I probably need to watch it start to finish again.  All I remember is not seeing anything from Lewis in Gangs of New York as iconically compelling as his "I drink your milkshake!" segment from There Will Be Blood, but since my attention got shattered I could easily have missed something great.

On 2/21/2024 at 8:12 AM, fantastic_four said:

Could be, but why?

I think I fell asleep halfway through Gangs of New York and never fully paid enough attention to the last half of the film, so I probably need to watch it start to finish again.  All I remember is not seeing anything from Lewis in Gangs of New York as iconically compelling as his "I drink your milkshake!" segment from There Will Be Blood, but since my attention got shattered I could easily have missed something great.

His entire performance in that movie is on an other level. Just watch when he goes to see Eli at his church after Joe Gunda(sp?) dies at the well, and Eli is in mid-sermon supposedly healing the old lady of arthritis. The disgust that is written all over Daniel’s face is priceless. 

On 2/21/2024 at 7:50 AM, TupennyConan said:

DDL is our best living actor.

For the uninformed, throw me your opinion on why that is.

Not that I doubt it, or even have a cogent counter-argument. Your opinion is legion - I'd love to hear someone that I know give me the reason he's the best. Is it that he nails every single performance in it's own unique way? My favorite actor is Denzel, but there's an element of that he's "always Denzel" in each role. Which I enjoy, but for me, that keeps him out of the "best" category because he doesn't transcend every role (he does in quite a few, though). Saying one is the "best" actor is a lofty statement (and again, I don't disagree) but I'd like to hear more.