• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's FANTASTIC FOUR (TBD)
8 8

1,133 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2024 at 11:32 AM, Dr. Balls said:

For the uninformed, throw me your opinion on why that is.

Not that I doubt it, or even have a cogent counter-argument. Your opinion is legion - I'd love to hear someone that I know give me the reason he's the best. Is it that he nails every single performance in it's own unique way? My favorite actor is Denzel, but there's an element of that he's "always Denzel" in each role. Which I enjoy, but for me, that keeps him out of the "best" category because he doesn't transcend every role (he does in quite a few, though). Saying one is the "best" actor is a lofty statement (and again, I don't disagree) but I'd like to hear more.

It's a personal judgement or feeling like 'pistachio ice cream is the best.'

So I *feel* he has demonstrated the greatest range across the most diverse projects for the longest time & is able to vanish into his roles. He isn't the Tom Cruise brand or Brad Pitt brand; rather, he is his characters. 

The DDL brand is acting excellence, imo.

On 2/21/2024 at 11:08 AM, TupennyConan said:

So I *feel* he has demonstrated the greatest range across the most diverse projects for the longest time & is able to vanish into his roles. He isn't the Tom Cruise brand or Brad Pitt brand; rather, he is his characters. 

Vanishing into the roles - ok, I get that, and it is pretty cool to see an actor do that. I have seen very few DDL movies for no particular reason - but the ones I have, he’s excellent.

Thanks!

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 2/21/2024 at 11:18 AM, TupennyConan said:

Clint Eastwood might be my favorite actor but he isn't our best.

I kind of wish he’d have ended up in an MCU movie - but not as a cameo or anything, but something that was perfect for only Clint Eastwood. Not sure who that might have been, but it’d have been great to see the legendary steely eyed, gravelly voiced Clint in a superhero flick.

On 2/21/2024 at 1:51 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I kind of wish he’d have ended up in an MCU movie - but not as a cameo or anything, but something that was perfect for only Clint Eastwood. Not sure who that might have been, but it’d have been great to see the legendary steely eyed, gravelly voiced Clint in a superhero flick.

He is a whisperer, isn't he? Maybe Javier would be good as DOOM or GALACTUS.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:32 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I think Bardem and Lewis are both terrible choices for either Doom or Galactus.

Is Lewis really up for this role? I thought that was just this-thread-bs.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:08 PM, TupennyConan said:

Great explanation!

All you need to do is go watch clips from My Left Foot, Lincoln, and There Will Be Blood...he's incredible and is range is unmatched

On 2/22/2024 at 9:56 AM, AGGIEZ said:

Great explanation!

All you need to do is go watch clips from My Left Foot, Lincoln, and There Will Be Blood...he's incredible and is range is unmatched

LOTM & GONY.

On 2/21/2024 at 3:32 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I think Bardem and Lewis are both terrible choices for either Doom or Galactus.

Going solely off of the No Country performance, I think Bardem's dispositional affect would lend itself to Galactus. Giant, foreboding, non-emotional - that could go a long way for Galactus' screen presence.

Doom is trickier. He's got a lot of depth there - I think you could plug a lot of actors into that role, because the writing and motivations are going to be what makes Doom work on-screen. It's going to be a challenge for sure, because you'll need great writing and an actor who can sell it.

Are we thinking Henry Cavill's off-the-table for Dr. Doom?

Supposedly he was cast in an undisclosed Marvel role within the past week - I'm *really* hoping it's not Sentry.

And I think he'd work well as Doom.

On 12/5/2023 at 8:27 AM, jsilverjanet said:

This is not my point

let me spell it out

marvel is hiring a list actors which in turn increases the budget which means they will either cut costs elsewhere thus creating an inferior product 

they of course cater to dollars. They are in the business of making money. 

Still does not fully explain the Disney budgets.  How did the Marvels cost over $250M, and Dune 2 which also has big stars has an $190 M budget and looks and looks 100 x better. How did Godzilla Minus One cost under $15 M to make?  Yes, made in Japan, yes, no big stars, but puts the effects and production values of Disney movies to shame. The Hollywood system, and more specific the way Disney is making films is broken.  I think it mainly comes back to the scrapbooking method of filming they are using, shooting from partial scripts, constant reshoots, and the resulting rushed deadlines for post production. That wastes a ton of money. Dune's director said he only films when the script is 100% done, pre-production is done in extensive detail, and they shoot what they planned to shoot. Wow , maybe that has something to do with it.

Also getting sick of Pedro Pascal, seems like very uninspired casting. He is a fine actor, but not good enough to explain the number of jobs he is getting

On 2/21/2024 at 4:40 PM, TupennyConan said:

Is Lewis really up for this role? I thought that was just this-thread-bs.

I thought he retired from acting