• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's X-MEN film (TBD)
2 2

574 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2022 at 2:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

I have been an X-Men fan since I was 11 years old. 38 years later, tainted by the virtue-signaling forced re-casting of comic book characters with no regard to acting ability, I have to say: this would be pretty cool. Everything I’ve seen him in makes me think he would portray a great Prof X.

I’m really hoping we get some SDCC action - I mean, it’s been what, 3 years since they got X-men back?

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I have been an X-Men fan since I was 11 years old. 38 years later, tainted by the virtue-signaling forced re-casting of comic book characters with no regard to acting ability, I have to say: this would be pretty cool. Everything I’ve seen him in makes me think he would portray a great Prof X.

I’m really hoping we get some SDCC action - I mean, it’s been what, 3 years since they got X-men back?

What a fantastic actor. Even the range he displayed in the Gus Fring role, right from his introduction. Amazing!

On 7/22/2022 at 2:40 PM, Bosco685 said:

What a fantastic actor. Even the range he displayed in the Gus Fring role, right from his introduction. Amazing!

On 7/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Although he plays the same character in every show I've seen, he is a very compelling actor and would love to see him as Prof X.

I mean, he was the ringleader of Vaught until his daughter screwed him over to back Homelander.

The name swap seems likely given Stan's revelation that "The Mutants" was his original title for the book.

Anyone know when Stan's original name was first revealed?  I never heard it until just before he died, but if you google it there are references to the original title at least a few years before that.  I'm particularly curious about whether or not Jack Kirby ever verified it given that Stan Lee at times has remembered things wrong.  But the way Lee told it the name was determined before Kirby even started drawing the first issue so it's possible he didn't even know the original title.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 7/24/2022 at 10:07 AM, kimik said:

The X-Men was a much better title than The Mutants from a marketing perspective. 

And it still is.  “The Mutants” sounds like a 2 AM feature on SyFy.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:30 AM, mattn792 said:

And it still is.  “The Mutants” sounds like a 2 AM feature on SyFy.

I hope they were just floating this leak to see if the fans (and in more general public) would except the name change. I hope the response was a resounding no. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:56 AM, fantastic_four said:

The name swap seems likely given Stan's revelation that "The Mutants" was his original title for the book.

Anyone know when Stan's original name was first revealed?  I never heard it until just before he died, but if you google it there are references to the original title at least a few years before that.  I'm particularly curious about whether or not Jack Kirby ever verified it given that Stan Lee at times has remembered things wrong.  But the way Lee told it the name was determined before Kirby even started drawing the first issue so it's possible he didn't even know the original title.

He did interviews a few years back sharing his original concept title of 'The Mutants' which the publisher did not care for. But to make it more sympathetic to his story, he noted the publisher shared the readers were too ignorant to understand what a mutant was. So naturally it became the blinder follower Marvel cheer this had to be rectified to honor Stan Lee's legacy.

Oddly enough it was when Victoria Alonso made it a point to call out 'X-Men' was outdated, and therefore did not honor female members of the team. So that blew up with the more hardcore followers pushing for 'The Mutants' being the name moving forward. And my assumption is Marvel Studios will appease that thinking, and go with the name with all the marketing strength it can to hide it behind "for love of Stan Lee's memory".

On 7/24/2022 at 11:36 AM, Bosco685 said:

He did interviews a few years back sharing his original concept title of 'The Mutants' which the publisher did not care for. But to make it more sympathetic to his story, he noted the publisher shared the readers were too ignorant to understand what a mutant was. So naturally it became the blinder follower Marvel cheer this had to be rectified to honor Stan Lee's legacy.

Oddly enough it was when Victoria Alonso made it a point to call out 'X-Men' was outdated, and therefore did not honor female members of the team. So that blew up with the more hardcore followers pushing for 'The Mutants' being the name moving forward. And my assumption is Marvel Studios will appease that thinking, and go with the name with all the marketing strength it can to hide it behind "for love of Stan Lee's memory".

But again, this goes against the comic history of the X-Men, where the team has always had female members, and was always ment to refer to Men as a synonym for people. It also is a title where at many times the women often outnumber the male team members, and fans never cared.  It has always been the most inclusive team in comics.  

Plus, with the flop that was The New Mutants, do they really want that association?

On 7/24/2022 at 11:36 AM, Bosco685 said:

He did interviews a few years back sharing his original concept title of 'The Mutants' which the publisher did not care for.

His revelation is much older than that.  Here's a 2012 article that references his quote about his original title:

https://uncannyxmen.net/secrets-behind-the-x-men/stan-lees-x-men

I also first heard it when Victoria Alonso made the quote you're referencing, but it appears to long pre-date her or the Fox deal.  Finding Stan Lee quotes can be VERY difficult since he's done so many interviews over the years, but I'm curious about how long he's been sharing his original title if anyone finds anything even older.

On 7/24/2022 at 11:52 AM, fantastic_four said:

His revelation is much older than that.  Here's a 2012 article that references his quote about his original title:

https://uncannyxmen.net/secrets-behind-the-x-men/stan-lees-x-men

I also first heard it when Victoria Alonso made the quote you're referencing, but it appears to long pre-date her or the Fox deal.  Finding Stan Lee quotes can be VERY difficult since he's done so many interviews over the years, but I'm curious about how long he's been sharing his original title if anyone finds anything even older.

Even in his 2014 Rolling Stones interview he was talking about it.

Stan Lee on the X-Men and More: The Lost Interview

Ideas were coming out kind of astonishing speed at that point. What do you remember about the first glimmer of sitting down to write X-Men?
Well, I think it was the fact that the Fantastic Four had sold so well. And we figured, my publisher and I, figured why not do another group? My problem was, what powers would I give them? Because with the Fantastic Four, we already had a guy who could fly, who could burst into flame, we had a woman who was invisible with a force field, we had a guy who could stretch, and we had a big strongest man in the world. So it wasn’t easy.

Then,  once I figured out what powers they’d have, I had to figure, how did they get their powers? And they were all separate people that weren’t connected to each other, so I knew that would be a helluva job. And I took the cowardly way out, and I figured, hey, the easiest thing in the world: they were born that way. They were mutants. So I thought that would be one way to get around having to find new origins.

So I brought the idea to my publisher…

To Martin Goodman?
He liked the idea, but I wanted to call the book The Mutants, and he said, nobody knows what a mutant is, you gotta come up with another name. So I figured, well, they’re men and women with extra powers, and their leader is Professor Xavier, why don’t I call them the X-Men? I brought that name to my publisher, he said, that’s great! And as I walked out of the office, I thought, ‘If nobody would know what a mutant is, how is anybody gonna know what an X-Men is?’ But I had my name, and I wasn’t gonna fight it. That was how it started.

On 7/24/2022 at 11:52 AM, fantastic_four said:

I also first heard it when Victoria Alonso made the quote you're referencing, but it appears to long pre-date her or the Fox deal. 

Her comments were concerning how 'X-Men' doesn't honor the females on the team. Not about the name 'The Mutants'.

It kind of conveys her ignorance of 59 years (at that time 57 years) of how the X-Men team came about and developed over time as part of a representation of mankind - not specifically just about men. Which is surprising as she has been so involved with the MCU across many years.

Marvel has officially introduced Mutants into the MCU with Ms. Marvel, now a mutant instead of an Inhuman like she is in the comics. After this reveal in the Ms. Marvel finale many were expecting to hear some exciting X-Men related news at Marvel’s Hall H panel during San Diego Comic Con. However, while a ton of thrilling Marvel news was shared the X-Men were noticeably absent. Journalist and former Birth. Movies. Death. editor-in-chief Devin Faraci, via Cinema Sangha, recently shared what he knows about these delays.

THE X-MEN WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL 2025 TO OFFICIALLY JOIN THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE

“Despite the introduction of mutants at the end of Ms. Marvel, there’s no mutants in Phase 5. I know why. I know why there’s no mutants. I know why this is going to take a while. There might be individual mutants, there might be other characters that show a certain interest. The reason why is the contractual situation with the original Fox stuff is going to be in effect until 2025. So, if they don’t want to use those actors, then they have to wait until that contract all expires.”

He continued to explain why it is unlikely the famous team of Mutant superheroes will show up until Phase 7 after the end of the Multiverse Saga.

“If they’re going to have stuff hitting in 2025 at the end of the contract, then they’ll announce it. But I think they actually can’t go into production until the contract’s up. So it’s not even a release – it’s the same thing with Superman. So they’re going to be Phase 7. So you’re not going to see mutants until Phase 7. There are going to be mutants that will show up after the Multiverse Saga is over.”

After learning this we did some more digging and discovered the actors are not the only ones that have a standing contract tying them to the X-Men. According to our sources Marvel is holding off on the X-Men because the producers of Fox’s X-Men films are still attached via contract. Disney likely wants to not only recast many of these iconic roles, but they also wants a clean break from the producers that helped shape Fox’s X-Men story as well.

It seems Disney’s main concern is not the return of past actors as evidenced by Patrick Stewart reprising his role in Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness. Instead the primary reason for waiting is presumably to get a clean break from producers, like Simon Kinberg and Bryan Singer, who have no connection to the MCU thus far.

If Marvel Studios were to include an X-Men movie in the MCU line up before 2025 they would be included on the project as producers which at minimum would mean credit and compensation, but could also mean they have some degree of story control as well. It makes sense financially that Marvel would want to wait for the X-Men, not only so that they don’t have to pay out the past producers that wouldn’t be connected to the franchise long term, but because if they were to recast down the road the new actors could use the original actors contracts to negotiate.

Not sure how true that is.