• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA: Storage Units and Comics (DON'T DO IT)
2 2

126 posts in this topic

On 12/8/2023 at 4:32 PM, D84 said:

How about start your own threads?

A guy who started one of the longest threads ever went to jail. He was a piece of work.

So feel free to rant, the world moves as it will without you.

Edited by NP_Gresham

On 12/24/2023 at 5:23 PM, NP_Gresham said:

A guy who started one of the longest threads ever went to jail. He was a piece of work.

So feel free to rant, the world moves as it will without you.

Huh?

I kept my collection in a storage unit for 10 years, no problems, maybe I got lucky.  Additionally, I don't have a lot of high dollar books.  One thing I consistently did, if I moved any boxes i would place four on a cart and place a larger empty box over the four so it appeared to be one large box and I pushed the cart into the unit before uncovering the four.  I figured it was better than letting anyone see the short boxes of comics which someone might recognize as comic boxes.  But I do agree with the OP that high dollar books probably shouldn't be in a storage unit.

video says he has insurance... but insurance companies dont insure storage facilities, do they?  Maybe he said that BEFOARE he spoke with them and found out he wasn't covered...  Pretty big storage room though!  nice

On 2/14/2024 at 11:10 PM, Aman619 said:

video says he has insurance... but insurance companies dont insure storage facilities, do they?  Maybe he said that BEFOARE he spoke with them and found out he wasn't covered...  Pretty big storage room though!  nice

Yes, they do.   Your homeowners will cover it up to a certain amount, and CIA will cover it at around a 15-20% premium over home storage.. 

Most storage facilities I've dealt with have mandatory insurance if you don't provide your own.  You need to have some insurance in case you start a fire that spreads to other units.

Edited by shadroch

On 2/23/2024 at 10:47 AM, shadroch said:

Yes, they do.   Your homeowners will cover it up to a certain amount, and CIA will cover it at around a 15-20% premium over home storage.. 

Most storage facilities I've dealt with have mandatory insurance if you don't provide your own.  You need to have some insurance in case you start a fire that spreads to other units.

Read the fine print on those mandatory insurance policies. I've never seen one actually pay out.

Also, a lot of these contracts have a clause something along the lines of you are not allowed to store over a certain total dollar amount. Most of the "insurance policies" say that if you violate your contract, they won't pay. So, if you store anything high dollar in there, you are S.O.L.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:36 PM, D84 said:

Read the fine print on those mandatory insurance policies. I've never seen one actually pay out.

Also, a lot of these contracts have a clause something along the lines of you are not allowed to store over a certain total dollar amount. Most of the "insurance policies" say that if you violate your contract, they won't pay. So, if you store anything high dollar in there, you are S.O.L.

The mandatory policies protect the facility in case of a fire or if you damage their property. My homeowners provide up to $7500 for storage units, and CIA charges more to cover storage units, so I'm covered up to my policy limit. 

I wouldn't store anything of high value, either.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:07 AM, D84 said:

I used to tell every customer that if they didn't need it in the house, they didn't need it.

It never dissuade a single person, but I tried.

As someone who worked at a storage facility I wonder, how much did you know about what was stored at your facility?

On 3/30/2024 at 2:51 PM, thehumantorch said:

As someone who worked at a storage facility I wonder, how much did you know about what was stored at your facility?

We'd ask in general what they were storing, to help determine the size they needed. Like how many boxes, what size are they, any furniture, but I wanted as little detail as possible.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones.  20 years ago I moved to Valencia, CA and I needed a storage unit for my comic collection.  My collection was smaller then but now I have 135 short boxes - about 14,000 comics.   I kept about 300 comics at my house (the most valuable), but everything else was kept in this storage unit.  It was climate controlled. It had a security code system to access the facility.  For added security no one ever saw what I had in my storage unit, and the people who knew I had comics in storage never knew which facility I used.  I went there almost weekly to file away my latest acquisitions, and I would run over there more frequently after an earthquake or heavy rains.  In 20 years I never had a problem.  I recently retired and moved out of state and I can now put all my comics in my new house. 

IMG_9759.jpg

On 3/30/2024 at 9:03 PM, jdraheim said:

I guess I was one of the lucky ones.  20 years ago I moved to Valencia, CA and I needed a storage unit for my comic collection.  My collection was smaller then but now I have 135 short boxes - about 14,000 comics.   I kept about 300 comics at my house (the most valuable), but everything else was kept in this storage unit.  It was climate controlled. It had a security code system to access the facility.  For added security no one ever saw what I had in my storage unit, and the people who knew I had comics in storage never knew which facility I used.  I went there almost weekly to file away my latest acquisitions, and I would run over there more frequently after an earthquake or heavy rains.  In 20 years I never had a problem.  I recently retired and moved out of state and I can now put all my comics in my new house. 

IMG_9759.jpg

This picture makes my OCD sing a sweet melody.