• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA: Storage Units and Comics (DON'T DO IT)
2 2

126 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2023 at 11:48 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I wonder if the thread title ought to be changed so it's more of a "catch-all" for the broader subject(s) of book safety, insurance, theft, etc. Not sure what that title would be.

Agreed. Something like, “Book Safety: safes, storage units, insurance, and other tips.”

We should link the dangers of a gun safe thread in here. I had a few in one and thankfully I saw the thread and got them out before any visible damage occurred. 

Edited by CAHokie

On 12/8/2023 at 7:32 PM, D84 said:

How about start your own threads?

I started this because of a specific, recurring, preventable issue, that having worked at a couple of different storage facilities in multiple states, I wanted to warn people about.

Don't dilute this thread, please.

Wow, alrighty then. (thumbsud

On 12/10/2023 at 9:16 AM, Robot Man said:

If you need a storage locker, get rid of some of it. You are probably paying monthly to store a bunch of stuff that really doesn’t matter all that much. Use the money to buy a couple of nice books that do.

I used to tell every customer that if they didn't need it in the house, they didn't need it.

It never dissuade a single person, but I tried.

On 12/12/2023 at 3:22 PM, fishbone said:

The thing I don't get is why there are 5 full pages in this thread

Storage locker bad = don't do it = thank you, next thread .......:deadhorse:

Some people are very passionate about their storage knowledge and experience. Be nice (tsk)

On 12/10/2023 at 8:16 AM, Robot Man said:

If you need a storage locker, get rid of some of it. You are probably paying monthly to store a bunch of stuff that really doesn’t matter all that much. Use the money to buy a couple of nice books that do.

Reminds me of a storage locker buyer's YouTube video.  He purchased a locker of mostly household goods and clothing for $800 and the value of the contents was less than $2k.

The original owner paid $200 plus per month for 24 years or about $56,000.   Pretty shocking when you do the math.. 

On 12/12/2023 at 4:41 PM, CAHokie said:
On 12/12/2023 at 1:22 PM, fishbone said:

The thing I don't get is why there are 5 full pages in this thread

Storage locker bad = don't do it = thank you, next thread .......:deadhorse:

Some people are very passionate about their storage knowledge and experience. Be nice (tsk)

Let's run it another 5 pages....

On 12/12/2023 at 5:21 PM, thehumantorch said:

Reminds me of a storage locker buyer's YouTube video.  He purchased a locker of mostly household goods and clothing for $800 and the value of the contents was less than $2k.

The original owner paid $200 plus per month for 24 years or about $56,000.   Pretty shocking when you do the math.. 

Many years ago one of my friends purchased a locker full of household junk for $700. and inside were a bunch of boxes of early SA comics. I made him very happy. Wonder what the original owner would have thought if he had known...

On 12/12/2023 at 6:21 PM, thehumantorch said:

When I was renting one in Las Vegas, a unit had been rented for twelve years, paid annually, and supposedly had never been opened. 

My aunt paid to store her two-bedroom apartment for five years when she moved in to help her sister.  She passed away, and when we examined the contents, it was mostly junk.  Shopping bags full of inter-office memos and checks.  Multiple sets of linens and bedsheets,  just stupid stuff.  We took a few things for memories and donated what we could.  Surprisingly, the place gave us a dumpster to remove the beds and the stuff that charity didn't want.  

On 12/7/2023 at 8:48 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I wonder if the thread title ought to be changed so it's more of a "catch-all" for the broader subject(s) of book safety, insurance, theft, etc. Not sure what that title would be.

Personally, I would never get my PSA checked in a storage unit. That would be some shady doctor right there. :eek:

I'll do another PSA and say you folks need to do a better job of book storage period. I opened up a couple slabs I recently bought, and the pages were no longer white as advertised, but crow. I have never seen that big of a swing from good to bad, and I've probably cracked 500 slabs at this point. It stiffens my resolve to crack every slab I come into contact with. Spread the word. And yes, I know CGC has trouble at times with PQ.

On upnote, I cracked out a Diamond Run book today, and the PQ went from crow to white - go figure. Maybe they had really bad light in the grader's room 22 years ago when it was graded.