• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your Modern Newsies!
22 22

3,021 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2024 at 6:45 PM, fastballspecial said:

Newsstand Distributor family came back to local flea market to sell off rest of 
collection. I bought around 150 I just cant pass up NM newsstands from 2007-10
I just never see them.

All Post some more in a few days when I have more time. 
Multiple Green Lantern 9s, Hulk 92s, GR 94, Superman 666, All Marvel Milestone
like Marvel Premiere and Millie the Model, almost complete run of Spider-man Mary 
Jane.

All types of oddball stuff as newsstands. I need to go back and get more DC
but as I rule I steer clear of Superman most of the time. At least 30+ copies of Uncanny
X-men 460-500+, and I should go back and get some New Avengers, but not much of 
market for it. I did pick up all the 1st Ronin issues. 

super666f.thumb.jpg.81efe1e79e84f2788f69ed826bf45b5c.jpgxmen464.thumb.jpg.9550b2827b3ab3d2f154c6dbe1bf5a4f.jpgwolv54ff.thumb.jpg.a388428ef81d6aa775d7cc54c277e013.jpggr94f.thumb.jpg.387a8fb1024f6f0194834ef247612a2c.jpgmp28f.thumb.jpg.955c9ddeac4f0ad8eaef4562388cb196.jpg

Congratulations and wow..

I would definitely be after those Superman books.

On 3/19/2024 at 7:33 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

They are just common issues. There are some Batman Superman and some other DC issues like GL
as well. I had to draw a line somewhere lol. I passed up a dozen copies of Last Fantastic Four story as well.

On 3/19/2024 at 7:36 PM, fastballspecial said:

They are just common issues. There are some Batman Superman and some other DC issues like GL
as well. I had to draw a line somewhere lol. I passed up a dozen copies of Last Fantastic Four story as well.

I have been trying to fill in my runs so I am sure there would have been plenty on my list in those boxes. Especially since I have lists from most of the series.  (AOS , Superman,  Superman  Batman,  Batman Superman, Action Comics,  etc.)  Completely understand about drawing a line. That is why I had to start making lists. I started to see too many duplicates when I wasn't tracking them and as you said without someone specifically looking for them , they usually just sit. 

On 3/19/2024 at 7:33 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Send me a list all look for you next time I go. There are quite a few Superman related. 
I think its like 3 totes left used be 4, but I basically bought a whole tote.

On 3/22/2024 at 12:27 AM, George Brent said:

Some key newsstands  --took a lot of luck to find them in the NM range (well, ASM #694 is not a key issue, but it's exceptionally rare to find a newsstand copy in any condition, so NM copies are beyond super rare)ASN694_AmFant15_BP2.thumb.jpg.d57c72c93f29c22077feb607a0ebd36b.jpg

AvAcad_GR1_Nova8.jpg

Story time. Did you find them all in one spot or over time?  Those top two books are very rare. I might have seen 1 or 2 copies of 
each.

I wish I had a fairy tale description of how I stumbled upon all those in someone's garage sale, but the fact is I got them over a few months from a variety of places and by being proactive, persistent, and very lucky.     

Re: the specific issues, I recall seeing at least 4-5 newsstand copies of AF#15 over the past few years, so, yes, that's rare, but nothing like ASM #694, I've only ever seen the copy I've posted plus one more (but in F/VG condition).   Kind of a mystery for a non-key issue, whose surrounding issue #'s have had plenty of newsstand copies floating around  --and more than a few folks know about this, there were some relevant discussions 2-3 years ago on this forum (can't recall if it was this Topic or another one).

On 3/22/2024 at 8:55 PM, fastballspecial said:

Actually at one point one boardie had a sizable reward for an ASM 694. I scored this ASM below last year I know all never
see another copy.

asmhooky.thumb.jpg.77c653771720a79e765702835737946e.jpg

That is a good one, I found a copy back in 2015 from a vendor who had stashed a bunch of newsstands, but I haven't seen one since   --well, just checked eBay and there is an allegedly "NM" copy selling for the bargain price of $199, but the pics show a bunch of spine bends/etc., looks more like a VF- copy.   

Star Wars #75 Newsstand Variant Edition CGC 9.4 WP 4/2005
Volume 1 , Dark Horse Comics
1998 - 2006

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=7297531#59886042

Late in the run, the last issue #83 & was on newsstands in 2/2006.

AFAIK, this is the only CGC graded copy of a newsstand copy of this book.

It was either graded before CGC started notating newsstand editions or they just failed to notate it as a newsstand on the CGC label.

STAR WARS75NEWSSTANDCGCMYCOMICSHOP.jpg