• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

On 3/26/2023 at 2:58 PM, godzilla43 said:

If you wanna compare this to Johnny Depp-Amber Heard case don't you find it strange that with all that publicity that case had and Johnny Deep being a huge star there was no other alleged incidents of Johnny being abusive with other women. It has been now just one day and there is more rumors about Jonathan Majors being a person like this. Many times where there smoke there is fire.

Again these are only allegations, we do not know anyone's motivations.  Grain of salt and all that.  More stuff starting to come out. I would also remind people, that despite Depp being cleared, they still almost destroyed his career.  I will also remind people of Justin Roiland, who has been removed from the show he created and career destroyed was just cleared.  But the point is, the court of public opinion is fast, and the legal system is slow. Majors is going to be judged in the public space well before there is legal judgement.  So even if innocent, this is a major headache for Disney, since they have a lot invested in this actor right now.

Yes, it still astounds me that the more  or less provably guilty in  Ezra Miller, is the one who has had the least short term consequences.

https://thedirect.com/article/avengers-5-actor-arrest-accused

On 3/26/2023 at 3:10 PM, Bosco685 said:

Because he couldn't believe people were comparing these situations. I have to agree with him.

You mean the first situation where the public immediately rushed to judge and condemn a man in a celebrity domestic dispute, and the second situation where the public immediately rushed to judge and condemn a man in a celebrity domestic dispute? Those two situations? What was it that Bruce Lee once said about a finger pointing the way to the moon..?

If you wanna compare this to Johnny Depp-Amber Heard case don't you find it strange that with all that publicity that case had and Johnny Deep being a huge star there was no other alleged incidents of Johnny being abusive with other women. It has been now just one day and there is more rumors about Jonathan Majors being a person like this. Many times where there smoke there is fire.

You mean the long list of two dudes with private Twitter accounts who went to film school or something with Jonathan Majors who said that he's a horrible human being and a major a**hole? Okay

On 3/26/2023 at 7:50 PM, D84 said:

So far it’s just his lawyer that’s saying that.  No official word from the DA or police yet. 

On 3/26/2023 at 7:06 PM, bentbryan said:

So far it’s just his lawyer that’s saying that.  No official word from the DA or police yet. 

That's true, but a lawyer making false statements can make the client liable. Ask Johnny Depp. 

Hopefully, Mr. Majors' lawyer isn't that dumb.

On 3/26/2023 at 8:43 PM, D84 said:

That's true, but a lawyer making false statements can make the client liable. Ask Johnny Depp. 

Hopefully, Mr. Majors' lawyer isn't that dumb.

Although Heard had one defamation count awarded to her, legal analysts later noted how it made no sense. So during the appeals process, they agreed in the end she would pay him $1M and he owes her nothing.

https://apnews.com/article/amber-heard-johnny-depp-entertainment-lawsuits-8d1ff8662929b551b0ef3709c80d067d

Now heard is suing her insurance company and possibly her legal team. Yet losing at that because her insurance company noted the original case proved she had purposely defamed her former husband.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com/us/news/breaking-news/amber-heard-files-milliondollar-countersuit-against-insurer-428631.aspx

https://www.courthousenews.com/amber-heards-bid-to-get-insurer-to-pay-for-defamation-defense-looks-shaky/

The fact that Majors is the only thing that kept Quantumania together should be a very dangerous thought for Marvel Studios going forward. His presence won't be easily-replaced for the Avengers movies.

On 3/27/2023 at 1:47 AM, Beastfeast said:

I don't think that the MCU has ever made good movies.  They've been fun and entertaining but these things aren't exactly high cinema.  

That being said, I re-watched Infinity War a few weeks ago and it's pretty bad.  It has all the same awful tropes that the new phases have.  However, it was a huge wrap up of years of fun movies that almost everyone was stoked to see.  As someone else said - it was an event.

There was a newness to the shared universe and it's just lost its luster.  I don't think it's much deeper than that.  Some of yall are acting like these were ever well told stories.   

I think Infinity War was more than just a mash-up end-of-year superhero event movie. There’s a real story there, too. But with all the characters, whose story? It’s argued that it’s Thanos’s story.

MCU films, almost by formula, are stories where the protagonist’s mission is also a spiritual journey that is visually marked by a superhero power up. For instance in Thor, when he becomes the guy willing to sacrifice himself for others, he becomes worthy, and thus regains the power of Thor. In Captain Marvel, when Carol regains her memories and remembers who she was, she frees herself from the Kree brainwashing and becomes Captain Marvel. 

For Thanos in Infinity War, his mission to obtain each Infinity Stone is spiritually stained by the loss of his soldier children, one-by-one through the film, the most painful being Gamora at his own hands. When he achieves all the Stones and the ultimate power-up, he even loses part of himself physically. In the end, we see him in his garden at peace with himself for what he’s lost and gained. In Infinity War, the villain is the protagonist, which is a pretty unique twist on the superhero movie.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 3/27/2023 at 6:22 PM, kimik said:

Actually, being foolish enough to have paid to see it, I am shocked at how well this film is doing at the box office. It is terrible.

ImpossibleHandyFugu-max-1mb.gif.30f00c67e1bfcad5690d37edd545628f.gif

That's quite an astute list of comparisons, to be fair. It really is that night-and-day on each issue from Phase 3 to 4. I'll always consider No Way Home a Phase 3 film, because it fits in that era. I actually really want to re-watch that soon, because I've been having nostalgia for Garfield's Spider-Man after having seen him in some clips from other (non-comic book) movies recently.

On 3/28/2023 at 10:41 PM, Bo1983 said:

E2FA0F2A-640F-40EE-9D07-ECF8FF52C72D.png

Great. More anti-Phase Four propaganda generated by toxic YouTubers. (sigh) Work is never done…

Yes, even Kevin Feige admits that the MCU hasn’t been full on zeitgeist recently , which is why they’re now focusing on quality over content. Rushed scripts, rushed schedules, and rushed post-production might have resulted in a few projects that could’ve used more time in all phases of production (like Love and Thunder or QuAntuMania) But this list’s creator is so focused on his apparent anti-woke agenda that that’s all he seems to be considering here.

Ya Boi Zack is comparing 3 complete MCU phases that have 5 Avengers movies (including Civil War) to 1.1 MCU phases that don’t  have an Avengers movie yet and was, as Kevin Feige said, a phase where Marvel is trying new things. Real fair…

Matt Fraction’s Hawkeye, Jason Aaron’s Thor, Dan Slott’s She-Hulk, and Warren Ellis’s Moon Knight were all popular critically acclaimed comics stories. 

Although Black Widow might’ve had an underlying theme of trafficking women maybe, I fail to see any underlying agendas in the stories of Shang-Chi, Eternals, Spider-Man No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, Love and Thunder, Wakanda Forever, or QuAntuMania. These movies focused on superhero journeys, it just so happens that a lot of critics didn’t like three of these movies. By stories with agendas, does Zack the boy mean the diverse heroes ?

Phase Four focused on unfamiliar characters? Are Black Widow, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, Loki, Clint Barton, Thor, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, and Prince Namor unfamiliar characters?

One show in Phase Four poked fun at the fans, She-Hulk, which also poked fun at Marvel Studiios, because the show is a 4th wall breaking meta comedy series. Ask Will Smith, some guys can’t take jokes. 

Unrecognizable character? Some characters in Phase Four are almost literally lifted out of the comics, including Kate Bishop, Kamala Khan, and She-Hulk. Yes, Shang -Chi doesn’t really resemble his 70-80’s comic book version and that’s a good thing, because while it was maybe fine then, it’s outdated as heck now.

Yes, that’s correct, Victoria Alonso was promoted to head of VFX after Phase Three. I didn’t see poor VFX in Zack boy’s tilted list of faux comparisons.

Edited by @therealsilvermane