• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ANT-MAN & THE WASP QUANTUMANIA directed by Peyton Reed (2023)
11 11

1,061 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2023 at 11:29 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

IMHO, the fact that cinema is a higher art form than a comic book is a fact.

Well ok your opinion, completely ignoring that art is subjective, and art is about creativity and talent is one's chosen area, not what that area is. Ask a thousand people and you will get very different answers as to what the highest form of art is, and what the hierarchy is. You feel it is currently movies, many would disagree. Again, that is OK, it is your opinion, but you can not force it on others. If we take just the story telling part, which movies and comics share, both are capable of conveying a superior story, one is not inherently better than the other. IMHO, mass popularity does not equate greatness. I would also argue that an artform that can be created by a single individual, requires more talent, then one that by nature requires a collaborative effort, and is usually not one person's vision.

But, we digress, and we are arguing in circles.  I'm done. 

On 4/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, drotto said:

Well ok your opinion, completely ignoring that art is subjective, and art is about creativity and talent is one's chosen area, not what that area is. Ask a thousand people and you will get very different answers as to what the highest form of art is, and what the hierarchy is. You feel it is currently movies, many would disagree. Again, that is OK, it is your opinion, but you can not force it on others. If we take just the story telling part, which movies and comics share, both are capable of conveying a superior story, one is not inherently better than the other. IMHO, mass popularity does not equate greatness. I would also argue that an artform that can be created by a single individual, requires more talent, then one that by nature requires a collaborative effort, and is usually not one person's vision.

But, we digress, and we are arguing in circles.  I'm done. 

Fine. And I’ll leave with this statement. What one considers to be the best art form is debatable. That film ranks among the highest art forms today and is a higher art form than a comic book is, to me, not debatable.

While the most artistic films combine the work of many craftspeople and several different artistic disciplines into one art form, a highly artistic film still answers to one vision, the director’s.

Finally, if we’re still comparing the art of cinema to the art of the comic book, cinema simply dwarfs comic books when it comes to the amount of books on the subject, the amount of academic study and university-level education dedicated to its study, the amount of artistic recognition in the world in the form of awards festivals media and journalism, its effect on the world today, and the diversity of lives it reaches throughout the world. 

Okay now I’m done.

On 4/1/2023 at 2:33 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

This is classic trolling 

No, trolling is posting obscene and demeaning memes over in the Captain Marvel thread. What we’re having here is an actual debate of the artistic merit of cinema versus a comic book in a forum dedicated to discussion and debate of cinema and comic books.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:03 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

No, trolling is posting obscene and demeaning memes over in the Captain Marvel thread. What we’re having here is an actual debate of the artistic merit of cinema versus a comic book in a forum dedicated to discussion and debate of cinema and comic books.

You know full well your being disingenuous.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:55 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

You know full well your being disingenuous.

I admit I was being slightly disingenuous in my response to your last post, but I’ve been 100% sincere in my responses to drotto, Gatsby, and others concerning this whole art thing about which I’m done debating now. 

On 4/1/2023 at 4:55 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I admit I was being slightly disingenuous in my response to your last post, but I’ve been 100% sincere in my responses to drotto, Gatsby, and others concerning this whole art thing about which I’m done debating now. 

Fair enough. For what it’s worth, I enjoy your insights once in awhile. Your obviously intelligent and passionate and that’s never a bad thing. 

On 4/2/2023 at 4:50 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Fine. And I’ll leave with this statement. What one considers to be the best art form is debatable. That film ranks among the highest art forms today and is a higher art form than a comic book is, to me, not debatable.

While the most artistic films combine the work of many craftspeople and several different artistic disciplines into one art form, a highly artistic film still answers to one vision, the director’s.

Finally, if we’re still comparing the art of cinema to the art of the comic book, cinema simply dwarfs comic books when it comes to the amount of books on the subject, the amount of academic study and university-level education dedicated to its study, the amount of artistic recognition in the world in the form of awards festivals media and journalism, its effect on the world today, and the diversity of lives it reaches throughout the world. 

Okay now I’m done.

Honest question, do you have much experience with comics? 

On 3/31/2023 at 2:18 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

they can’t stand up to  the highest examples of cinematic art, whether it’s... Star Wars

It's good, but not that good.

(IMHO)

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/2/2023 at 6:36 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Did you know that an anagram of Norman Osborne is Norman Sore Nob?

OK, carry on everyone :)

To make the joke work perfectly, you’d need Norman to be spelt with a silent ‘K’ at the beginning.

Which would be silly.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/4/2023 at 10:57 AM, Ken Aldred said:

To make the joke work perfectly, you’d need Norman to be spelt with a silent ‘K’ at the beginning.

Which would be silly.

And which would make him look like a brand of soup, Ken. Pre-anagram, I mean. And with another r.

On 4/2/2023 at 10:12 AM, media_junkie said:

Well we can certainly cross "Eternals" off that list then.

It depends on the time frame we look at. Eternals did go thermonuclear a year or so before the movie was released when it went from a nothing title to being hot for a while. Unfortunately, it followed the Carol Danvers/MSH #13 value curve post-release. lol 

On 4/4/2023 at 11:09 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

And which would make him look like a brand of soup, Ken. Pre-anagram, I mean. And with another r.

Yup. I had thought of Knorr.

Wasn’t that also a 50s Marvel Monster? A dragon, like Fin Fang Foom, drawn by Kirby?

Or, perhaps I’m getting confused with The Clangers.