• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2022 at 6:29 PM, SuperBird said:

I don't think 1980s indy book print runs in generally are well-known? 

agree.   Its only specific titles where the info came out.   TMNT, Albedo, Cerebus are known, but so many others are not.

On 1/30/2022 at 6:29 PM, SuperBird said:

I don't think 1980s indy book print runs in generally are well-known? 

On 1/31/2022 at 5:05 PM, Bronty said:

agree.   Its only specific titles where the info came out.   TMNT, Albedo, Cerebus are known, but so many others are not.

Interesting.. I wonder why it's so obscure.  Could someone message the  Hernandez brothers ?  or someone who was in charge at Fangraphics at the time?  

On 1/31/2022 at 5:20 PM, Wolverinex said:

Interesting.. I wonder why it's so obscure.  Could someone message the  Hernandez brothers ?  or someone who was in charge at Fangraphics at the time?  

Print runs in general aren't particularly well documented.

The only reason we have an inkling on long running marvel and dc titles, is because of the annual subscription/circulation statements that came in every 12th issue that summarized things like copies sold, copies destroyed, etc (and that was only on an annual average basis, not on a specific issue basis).

With independents, 

1) Many titles didn't last 12 issues

2) These requirements were as a result of subscription through the US Mail.    As most independent books were not sold through the mail on a subscription basis, its my belief/ understanding that those circulation statements were not published, leaving no source of info.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bronty said:

Print runs in general aren't particularly well documented.

The only reason we have an inkling on long running marvel and dc titles, is because of the annual subscription/circulation statements that came in every 12th issue that summarized things like copies sold, copies destroyed, etc (and that was only on an annual average basis, not on a specific issue basis).

With independents, 

1) Many titles didn't last 12 issues

2) These requirements were as a result of subscription through the US Mail.    As most independent books were not sold through the mail on a subscription basis, its my belief/ understanding that those circulation statements were not published, leaving no source of info.

Good thoughts! That's true.   Make me wonder why Cerebus 1 and TMNT 1 print runs are so well known? Probably because the creators were famous and able to provide the data?  

If you want to dig into rare comics, there are so, so many being published these days with print runs under 2000. I think the new Cerebus issues print under 1,000, for an easy one to point out, but there are a multitude of really rare indy comics, some of which have become long-running and popular. 

On 2/1/2022 at 7:26 AM, SuperBird said:

If you want to dig into rare comics, there are so, so many being published these days with print runs under 2000. I think the new Cerebus issues print under 1,000, for an easy one to point out, but there are a multitude of really rare indy comics, some of which have become long-running and popular. 

I haven't read the recent cerebus issues.    What's Dave's involvement in them?   Is he still writing and drawing?    I remember he had a hand injury?

What about Gerhard?   He's not involved any more is he?

Edited by Bronty

On 2/1/2022 at 9:41 AM, Bronty said:

I haven't read the recent cerebus issues.    What's Dave's involvement in them?   Is he still writing and drawing?    I remember he had a hand injury?

What about Gerhard?   He's not involved any more is he?

Dave can no longer draw (though he's been doing new artwork for the Cerebus special edition reprints, so maybe that's not entitely correct) so he's recutting old cerebus artwork and doing 1-shot parody things with new dialog. No gerhard involvement. I don't have any, so cannot comment as to thier quality. 

Edited by SuperBird

On 2/1/2022 at 9:50 AM, SuperBird said:

Dave can no longer draw (though he's been doing new artwork for the Cerebus special edition reprints, so maybe that's a lie) so he's recutting old cerebus artwork and doing 1-shot parody things with new dialog. No gerhard involvement. I don't have any, so cannot comment as to thier quality. 

That's a bummer.   

Is he writing the dialogue?  

I remember Cerebus in Hell was written by a fan or something and I found that a tough slog.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:55 AM, Bronty said:

That's a bummer.   

Is he writing the dialogue?  

I remember Cerebus in Hell was written by a fan or something and I found that a tough slog.

He's definitely writing them. I gave up on Cerebus (and Sim) after issue 260 or so. 

I have a slabbed Cerebus #1 question.  It’s very scarce in high grade due to the bad printing and black cover etc.  there are very few blue label copies graded above 9.0.  But out of Dave’s stash of the best dozen copies he pulled the day the comics were delivered to him, I think 6 or 7 are signed and slabbed as 9.4s.  Normally for comics we count highest graded by label type separately: highest grade copy, highest graded restored, and highest graded Signature.

so is it same for Cerebus where you might have the one of the top 3 blue label books, but would it only be one of the top 10 copies — Counting the Signature Series copies ?  Like I say, normally we ignore the sig and restored when counting from the top, but feels like Daves stash might be countable even though he signed them as a marketing thing for more dough.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:10 PM, Aman619 said:

I have a slabbed Cerebus #1 question.  It’s very scarce in high grade due to the bad printing and black cover etc.  there are very few blue label copies graded above 9.0.  But out of Dave’s stash of the best dozen copies he pulled the day the comics were delivered to him, I think 6 or 7 are signed and slabbed as 9.4s.  Normally for comics we count highest graded by label type separately: highest grade copy, highest graded restored, and highest graded Signature.

so is it same for Cerebus where you might have the one of the top 3 blue label books, but would it only be one of the top 10 copies — Counting the Signature Series copies ?  Like I say, normally we ignore the sig and restored when counting from the top, but feels like Daves stash might be countable even though he signed them as a marketing thing for more dough.

Depends on whether you're the buyer or the seller. ;)

On 2/4/2022 at 10:00 AM, Aman619 said:

Don’t we?  Lol. I feel like I’m the Lone Ranger now…. Whadda ya mean WE Kimosabe?

Are you referring to Gold, Silver, and Bronze collectors when you say “they” ignore Signature Series books when counting the best copies of a particular issue? Perhaps I have the wrong impression but SS books are very much a part of the conversation when it comes to the top Copper and Modern copies of key issues.

Admittedly, I only know Cerebus from the various threads on these boards but I imagine its collectors include Signature Series books among the best in the census.

yes.  I collect Gold through Modern, but admittedly my focus is on the older books. And generally the Signature market there is a different breed.  Giving it more thought, I realize that more Modern era collecting (like you guys here), is more heavily focussed on signatures than Gold and Silver collectors, Id guess as a result of more offerings due to younger artists more available for signings in this time of Signature labels etc...   But having said that,  to me Daves personal copies that he released are different.  It's a scarcer book for its time, and most copies sold in stores were already damaged which was baked into collecting Cerebus 1... until Dave released his signed 9.4s into the market.  So its always felt to me that they deserve an "asterisk".  And that a 9.4 in the wild that got slabbed is scarcer than Daves highest graded, least-damaged copies (later slabbed as 9.4s) --  plucked out of the initial shipment on Harrys floor the night they unboxed them are more common.

I'm not a Black Cat but I have a couple dozen early Cerebus (1 thru 25).  I have lurked this board recently trying to get insight/news.  I have a few questions.

Any idea why the #1 has rocketed up since December?

Has this happened before with Cerebus?

With so few issues out there to trade is it just as likely to freefall back below $1000.

Not complaining, more like amazed.