• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Black CAT club (Cerebus1, Albedo 2, TMNT1)
7 7

895 posts in this topic

On 2/7/2022 at 6:11 PM, Charles Mann said:

I'm not a Black Cat but I have a couple dozen early Cerebus (1 thru 25).  I have lurked this board recently trying to get insight/news.  I have a few questions.

Any idea why the #1 has rocketed up since December?

Has this happened before with Cerebus?

With so few issues out there to trade is it just as likely to freefall back below $1000.

Not complaining, more like amazed.

What sales are you seeing?

On 2/7/2022 at 9:18 PM, Charles Mann said:

I watch prices on ComicBase software which updates weekly based on auctions etc.  Cerebus #1 (CGC 7.0) sat around $800 all last year til December.  Now its climbed to $4500.  

Their website says: 

"ComicBase prices are actual reports of live market data from over 2 million verified market transactions from Atomic Avenue, as well as auction sales data from Heritage Auction Galleries. These prices are updated each week, reflecting successful sales and seller pricing." fwiw.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:22 PM, Charles Mann said:

Their website says: 

"ComicBase prices are actual reports of live market data from over 2 million verified market transactions from Atomic Avenue, as well as auction sales data from Heritage Auction Galleries. These prices are updated each week, reflecting successful sales and seller pricing." fwiw.

So Heritage shows a Dec.12th 2021 auction of Cerebus #1 CGC 7.5 closed at $7500.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:48 PM, Charles Mann said:

Opps! $7200.

I bet 700 was the last sale which was a long time ago.  All grades of Cerebus 1 has been going up significantly since Covid hit in 2020.  Early on during the pandemic, every copy was wiped off the market.  Due to it's low print run, only a few copies trickle out since that time.   The most recent sale of $7200 for the 7.5 is probably more reflective of the current market, though obviously at the upper end. 

while Cerebus 1 doesn't have the recognition of Marvel bronze keys, I think it will likely maintain it's price point due to it's historical  significance and rarity marking the rise of Independent comic creators (showing that these books could actually be popular)  and paving the way for TMNT, Image comics, etc.   It's an important key in the history of comics.  

Congrats on picking up a copy.  Is it authentic?   What grade is it?

On 2/7/2022 at 10:02 PM, Wolverinex said:

I bet 700 was the last sale which was a long time ago.  All grades of Cerebus 1 has been going up significantly since Covid hit in 2020.  Early on during the pandemic, every copy was wiped off the market.  Due to it's low print run, only a few copies trickle out since that time.   The most recent sale of $7200 for the 7.5 is probably more reflective of the current market, though obviously at the upper end. 

while Cerebus 1 doesn't have the recognition of Marvel bronze keys, I think it will likely maintain it's price point due to it's historical  significance and rarity marking the rise of Independent comic creators (showing that these books could actually be popular)  and paving the way for TMNT, Image comics, etc.   It's an important key in the history of comics.  

Congrats on picking up a copy.  Is it authentic?   What grade is it?

I have a couple recently slabbed CGC 8.0/8.5. Bought them new in 1977 for a dollar.  Yeah I'm old.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:18 PM, Charles Mann said:

I watch prices on ComicBase software which updates weekly based on auctions etc.  Cerebus #1 (CGC 7.0) sat around $800 all last year til December.  Now its climbed to $4500.  

@Wolverinexlol NOW that is difficult for me to wrap my head around. Is it that there wasn't too many for sale, or was it that I've not been looking? How in the world could it have been the medium grade, that went so berserk, despite perhaps being tempted at that price.... ??? 

I'm not sure, even if it was seriously that low, how we could have been watching this thread so close with all the buzz! IF only that was that cheap as of last year lol 

I'm bewildered by that :roflmao: somehow someway, price climb a bit lol @Comics4All

On 2/8/2022 at 8:39 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Wolverinexlol NOW that is difficult for me to wrap my head around. Is it that there wasn't too many for sale, or was it that I've not been looking? How in the world could it have been the medium grade, that went so berserk, despite perhaps being tempted at that price.... ??? 

I'm not sure, even if it was seriously that low, how we could have been watching this thread so close with all the buzz! IF only that was that cheap as of last year lol 

I'm bewildered by that :roflmao: somehow someway, price climb a bit lol @Comics4All

I think $700 was outdated.  Probably just the last sale on the market.  There is no way that was the price in the last year.  

yeah, I agree that the price has steadily gone up.  It's been pretty crazy since we started tracking it.  I guess a reprint happened during that time which may have renewed interest. 

On 2/8/2022 at 7:45 AM, Wolverinex said:

I think $700 was outdated.  Probably just the last sale on the market.  There is no way that was the price in the last year.  

yeah, I agree that the price has steadily gone up.  It's been pretty crazy since we started tracking it.  I guess a reprint happened during that time which may have renewed interest. 

lol I consider cracks and the fixing of holes, yet this sudden rise in values across the board :insane: 

Sheesh lol 

On 2/7/2022 at 10:18 PM, Charles Mann said:

GPA says a 7.0 was valued at $1500 in 2020, based on sales not including CLINK. 

On 2/8/2022 at 9:40 AM, SuperBird said:

that seems about right, based on my anecdotal experience seeing copies at cons and the like.

If I hadn't just gotten a 7.0 myself at that time, I might've picked up another copy at that price. I wish I had now...

On 2/8/2022 at 9:40 AM, SuperBird said:

That makes more sense 1500 2 years ago... I don't have GPA , do they have a price for 2022?

On 2/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, SuperBird said:

I saw them all dissappearing last year (2 years ago?) and bought the last 7.5 on eBay for $2k or something. What's the next Bronze-age indy #1 to pop? Hmmmm I have ideas!

Nice pickup.  That was a solid move.  

On 2/8/2022 at 8:39 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@ADAMANTIUM price has climb up like a tall, pipin' hot stack of wheatcakes ! lol

On 2/8/2022 at 4:15 PM, SuperBird said:
On 2/8/2022 at 3:44 PM, Ryan. said:

Fantasy Quarterly 1, here we come.

There seem to be a lot of copies of that one... I have 1 at least!

ElfQuest #2 ($1.00 cover) is the first publication by Wendy and Richard Pini (WaRP Graphics).  Fantasy Quarterly #1 is a big book, but ElfQuest #2 ($1.00 cover, first printing) shouldn't be as far behind as it is. 

Wendy and Richard really don't like FQ.  Quality is low, they were misled, they never got paid, etc.  ElfQuest #2 is the "real deal" directly from their own hands. :foryou: